Grumman F13F-1 Lion

Started by TomZ, August 20, 2023, 11:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Grumman F13F-3 Lion

In 1959 the US Navy issued a requirement for a heavy missile armed defence fighter. There was a response to this requirement from Grumman, Boeing and North American. In 1961 the US Navy decided that the entries from Boeing and North American showed insufficient promise and the Grumman entry was chosen for further development and was awarded a contract for three prototypes.

This lead to the Grumman F13F Lion, a delta winged aircraft. The aircraft turned out to be rather heavy and not very manoeuvrable and was totally unsuited as a dogfighter. It did however have a very heavy armament, especially after the AIM-41 Phoenix I became available in 1964. The F13F could carry 8 of these missiles a in combination with Sidewinder and Sparrow anti air missiles.

The Lion was especially suited for fleet defence work providing a water tight anti air coverage for the fleet. In 1970 the F13F-3 was introduced with the AIM-54 Phoenix II which further enhanced the capabilities of the Lion. The F13F-3 also introduced a nose mounted canon for close in combat as experiences in Vietnam showed that pure missile armed fighters were vulnerable when their opponent could close in. In the case of the Lion this proved to be of limited use as the aircraft was not very nimble and remained very vulnerable in dog fights.

Operating the lion from a carrier remained a challenge throughout its career as the aircraft was very heavy. The big delta wing allowed it however to bleed of a lot of airspeed before touching down and there were relatively few accidents.

The Lion was replaced by the McDonnell Douglas F5H Hornet in 1982.

Models:
- 1/48 Grumman F-14 Hasegawa
- 1/72 Avro Vulcan Airfix

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Wardukw

That's is perfect Tom....and giving me ideas on the Vulcan I have at last  :wacko:
Great build mate 👌 👍
It's damn close to what I'm gonna do with my F-14  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

That looks very good!  :mellow:  :thumbsup:
Not that it matters but, being a Grumman product and bearing a feline name, one would say it was a sucessor to the F11F Tiger but your F13F Lion reminds me of the F4D Skyray much more... or even a Cutlass... would've been the perfect ancestors for the Lion.  ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

SPINNERS

Vulcan7

Wow thats a beauty  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

PR19_Kit

That's got to  be a BIG model Tom, I hope you've got some heavy duty shelves.

It looks like a flying armoury with that loadout, woe betide anyone who comes up against it!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

uncletain

Loving it, great work :thumbsup:

Got something in a similar vain, but with different donors, sitting at the "need to figure out how to glue the wings on" stage

Thank you for the inspiration

Martin H

Just think how many more pylons you can cram under those wings.  :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

killnoizer

Amazing beautiful design , absolute perfect at all !
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

Dizzyfugu

Oh, that HUGE? Wondering about the wing folding mechanism to make it carrier-capable?

TomZ

The model is 47cm long and has a wing span of 48cm.
For you Imperial types that is 18.8 by 19.2 inches
In real size that would mean 22.6m long and 23m spam.

An F-14 Tomcat is 19m long with a span of 19.6m (or 10.1m with folded wings)
An E-2 Hawkeye is 17.5m long and has a span of 24.6m
A RA-5 Vigilante is 23.6m long

So, while the Lion is large, it is not impossible to operate one from a carrier

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

McColm

Impressive, which has given me an idea for a future build  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 20, 2023, 11:28:37 PMOh, that HUGE? Wondering about the wing folding mechanism to make it carrier-capable?

Think Gannet (maybe Gannet Squared!)  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That is just beautiful  :wub:  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..