Rotodyne, Pegasus powered V/STOL support *finished*

Started by sandiego89, August 22, 2023, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

What is the brand of that resin and where did you find it? It looks like it could be very useful.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Quote from: kerick on August 23, 2023, 05:42:38 PMWhat is the brand of that resin and where did you find it? It looks like it could be very useful.

I am think I am going to like it! 

Piccenno 2 part crystal clear resin. 

From a popular online site named after the major river in Brazil, not sure if I am allowed to link. 

full description on that site: 

32OZ Epoxy Resin Kit, Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin Including 16OZ Resin and 16OZ Hardener, Bubbles Free Table Top Casting Resin for DIY Art, Jewelry, Crafts, Coating
Brand: piccenno

$19.99 US for the full kit, includes the two 16 ounce resin parts, mixing cups pipettes, sticks, instructions. Came in 3 days!  Will allow lots of casts to be made.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2023, 05:41:14 PM
Quote from: kerick on August 23, 2023, 04:43:31 PMAny chance that a Rotodyne could have been a useful search and rescue aircraft? With giant props in front of the wing and all kinds of exhaust behind the wing a winch system could have been difficult at best. It could make a number of interesting whiffs in that mission.

The original 'dyne had two clamshell doors right in the tail, they could have mounted a cantilevered winch there, right aft, and out of much of the breeze.

Whether any survivors would have still been able to hear once rescued is a different kettle of fish however............  :-\

Or have a hole in the floor of the cabin maybe in front of the wing and behind the cockpit? Of course that's where the props are so maybe not. Convert the clam shells to a ramp and door like most transports. Like I need another project!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 23, 2023, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: kerick on August 23, 2023, 05:42:38 PMWhat is the brand of that resin and where did you find it? It looks like it could be very useful.

I am think I am going to like it! 

Piccenno 2 part crystal clear resin. 

From a popular online site named after the major river in Brazil, not sure if I am allowed to link. 

full description on that site: 

32OZ Epoxy Resin Kit, Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin Including 16OZ Resin and 16OZ Hardener, Bubbles Free Table Top Casting Resin for DIY Art, Jewelry, Crafts, Coating
Brand: piccenno

$19.99 US for the full kit, includes the two 16 ounce resin parts, mixing cups pipettes, sticks, instructions. Came in 3 days!  Will allow lots of casts to be made.   

I'll be waiting for your results tomorrow!
What do you use for mold release agent? I've used light oil or WD-40 with mixed results on my UV resin casts.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I'd change the doors from clam shell to a single one piece door which lifts upwards if there's space so it acts like a shield.
Or a 3 piece door ..the inner lifts up flat under the fuselage and the 2 outer doors can act as shields from the wings engines.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

There was a plan for RAF service 'dynes to have a 'beaver tail', like the military Argosies.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 23, 2023, 06:23:47 PMPiccenno 2 part crystal clear resin. 

I've no problem with a link, but the way you've done it means that people can trawl around and see if they can get a better deal. So bonus  :thumbsup:

As a complete aside, eons ago in the 60's I  used to cast wargames figures using Plaster of Paris for the moulds and melted milk bottle tops as the casting material, how times a change  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Popped the molds!

Looks good! Still needs some clean up, but should look good after cleanup and primer.  Good detail on the compressor blades, vents etc.  

Nozzles.  You can see how I used the top of the Harrier fuselage in making the master for the mold

Next to my KGR.3 from the Falklands.   

The difference between the dual side intake and single intake Pegasus.

Dave "Sandiego89"

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 24, 2023, 05:32:06 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on August 23, 2023, 06:23:47 PMPiccenno 2 part crystal clear resin. 

I've no problem with a link, but the way you've done it means that people can trawl around and see if they can get a better deal. So bonus  :thumbsup:

As a complete aside, eons ago in the 60's I  used to cast wargames figures using Plaster of Paris for the moulds and melted milk bottle tops as the casting material, how times a change  ;D

As casting resin, usually polyurethane resin is considered better than epoxy, it doesn't wears the mould so quickly. And with an opaque resin is easier (at least me) to see the moulding details. Transparent one is good for transparent parts, of course.
I am using an italian brand, so a link would be useless, but a quick search I am sure will find alot of results. Bought 1 kg (500 + 500 gr ) last week for about 20 euros.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

sandiego89

Quote from: loupgarou on August 25, 2023, 06:21:07 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 24, 2023, 05:32:06 AM

As casting resin, usually polyurethane resin is considered better than epoxy, it doesn't wears the mould so quickly. And with an opaque resin is easier (at least me) to see the moulding details. Transparent one is good for transparent parts, of course.
I am using an italian brand, so a link would be useless, but a quick search I am sure will find alot of results. Bought 1 kg (500 + 500 gr ) last week for about 20 euros.

Yes, agree that a "harder" resin is likely better than the clear epoxy, but as I said earlier this was partly was to try something new that I could also use for clear parts.  On the positive side, this has been much easier and less messy to cut off the pour shaft and the excess.   
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Success, both engines came out clean!  Still needs some clean up.

Kerick, I use a small misting bottle of "Castin" Craft" Mold release and conditioner.   

Dave "Sandiego89"

buzzbomb

Really liking the whole idea here.  :thumbsup:

Casts look fine so far, but interested to see under primer, like loupgarou, I have found clear resin to be deceiving both of the times I have used it.

kerick

The clear UV resin can have imperfections that are hard to see until I start filling and sanding the ones I can see.
Tophe the Wise