Rotodyne, Pegasus powered V/STOL support *finished*

Started by sandiego89, August 22, 2023, 03:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on September 10, 2023, 11:22:41 PMI do wonder which is louder tho..the Harrier or the Rotodyne  :o

There's no contest! The 'dyne has TWICE the noise level of the Harrier just with its main engines, AND it has the blasted tip jets as well?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Better not be any asphalt pavement around. This beast will melt a hole all the way through it!
Crazy awesome build!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

63cpe

Awesome build and a completely nuts concept! I love it.

The lift off must be earshattering....

It's magically crazy.

David aka 63cpe

Gondor

Looks great  :thumbsup:

Personally I would have got rid of the rotor and added another pair of Pegasi at what is the wing tips before they get extended, but that's me.  :blink:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 11, 2023, 07:10:24 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on September 10, 2023, 11:22:41 PMI do wonder which is louder tho..the Harrier or the Rotodyne  :o

There's no contest! The 'dyne has TWICE the noise level of the Harrier just with its main engines, AND it has the blasted tip jets as well?  :o
Bloody hell..so what everyone has to wear 2 pairs of ear muffs just get near it 😳  :o
With every other part of which is buggered least my hearing works..not if I got near that thing 🙃
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

The Rotodyne is one reason why I wear two hearings aids now I think.

They moved their flight tests to RAF Benson when  I was living there in the late 50s because too many locals near their airfield complained about the noise! RAF families were considered expendable apparently!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Well thank ya very much a holes ..who in their right mind would think something that loud would be OK.
Pure stupidity.
Didn't they envisage that as a passenger aircraft to land at London Airport??
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Steel Penguin

well you know what they say  " noise pollution aint rock and roll" :-\  :thumbsup:
err well near enough,  and im certain that with a little more development the problem would have been rectified,  just stand over by the rest wile i magic away the laws of physics 

But that is a darn fine looking beastie, and would have been perfect for the job
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

buzzbomb

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on September 12, 2023, 01:29:01 PMDidn't they envisage that as a passenger aircraft to land at London Airport??

Yes, that was the plan, and later they did a lot of work to make the tip jets quieter, and they succeeded too. The remains of the Rotodyne project are in the Helicopter Museum across the Severn from me, and there must be 10-12 different types of tip jets that they tried!

When I saw (and heard....) it it was still using the early type tip jets, and was it ever LOUD!

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 12, 2023, 04:45:09 PMWhen I saw (and heard....) it it was still using the early type tip jets, and was it ever LOUD!

That must have been a sight and sound!  How close were you and what type of flying was it doing? 

Thanks for all the comments everyone, glad it was well received! 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

There was a road leading down to the Benson peri track at the west end of the airfield and they were doing approaches from that end, so the 'dyne landed about 50 yards from the end of that road. My Dad's house was at the other end of the road, so it was just a a short walk, or bike ride, for me.

They'd take off vertically, transition to wing borne flight and head off to the west, and then return. On the way back I could tell when they started the tip jets up as they'd generate a spiral of smoke around the rotor for a short while, AND I could hear them of course! They'd land, hang about for some while, and then do it all again. It was quite intensive at that time.

Regards
Kit