Boulton Paul Defiant mk.3b

Started by RAFF-35, August 23, 2023, 01:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

The Defiant had a fairly thick chord on the wings, fitting 20mm's shouldn't prove too difficult.*

[*: Less rounds needed to make the kill! ;) ]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

RAFF-35

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 12, 2023, 04:01:46 AMThe Defiant had a fairly thick chord on the wings, fitting 20mm's shouldn't prove too difficult.*

[*: Less rounds needed to make the kill! ;) ]

20mm would be cool, I was just worried that the added weight would limit performance. But you make a good point about needing less rounds though 🤔
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

Wardukw

More weight ? Add more power ..Griffon power  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw on September 12, 2023, 01:45:03 PMMore weight ? Add more power ..Griffon power  ;D

Thinking exactly the same thing  :thumbsup:  Mind you I have a couple of Sabres in the stash  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 15, 2023, 07:08:07 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on September 12, 2023, 01:45:03 PMMore weight ? Add more power ..Griffon power  ;D

Thinking exactly the same thing  :thumbsup:  Mind you I have a couple of Sabres in the stash  ;D
I've got a beautiful Airfix Defiant Chris and now I've gotta find a very cheap Griffon Spitfire again ..damn it  :banghead: 😀...hmmm I've a idea 💡 🤔 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Mossie

Nice!   :thumbsup:  Another Defiant variant fan here.  I started two fixed armament versions but never finished them.

There was a mixed turret/fixed 20mm proposed as night fighter, the P.96. It was scaled up from the Defiant with a larger wing and both Centaurus and Sabre powerplants were investigated.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

loupgarou

Very good and logical development for a pretty airframe !
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitbasher

Sabres?  Then you're on your way to a B-P P.96.

Assuming you mean the engine not the F-86 😉
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Doug K

Quote from: RAFF-35 on September 11, 2023, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: Doug K on September 11, 2023, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: RAFF-35 on August 23, 2023, 01:51:13 PMOriginally designed as a bomber destroyer, then later found fame as a night fighter until being out-classed by the Bristol Beaufighter and DH Mosquito. The Defiant was then trialled as a  ground attack/close support aircraft in the North African theatre. The design's major shortcoming was addressed and the Mk.3 was equipped with two forward firing Browning .303's which allowed it to be more capable of defending its self. Further modifications include the addition of two wing hard points which could be used to carry either bombs or fuel tanks. There were also slight aerodynamic refinements including retractable tail wheel. The Defiant mk.3 was most successful in south east Asia where crews used the unique turreted design and developed the "radius attack" (later known as the pylon turn) to attack Japanese convoys and protect allied ground forces in turn.

Excellent! As has been noted elsewhere I have an unhealthy liking for Defiants 😉

A fellow Daffy fan! There's so much potential for whiffery with that airframe! I'm planning to do an NF.Mk.iii at some point, what do you think?

Totally!

Doug K

Quote from: kitbasher on October 01, 2023, 11:31:30 PM

I had the same thought  ;D

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=52017.0

IMG_1296 by doug_alba, on Flickr

But also....

IMG_1444 by doug_alba, on Flickr

IMG_1450 by doug_alba, on Flickr

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on October 01, 2023, 11:31:30 PM

Something to muse on post Telford, and yes I do mean the engine just to clarify matters  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.