RAAF SAAB AJ37 Viggen

Started by Wardukw, August 30, 2023, 12:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Right I have a idea..a Royal Australian Air Force Viggen.
I want to turn it into a ground attack version armed with rocket pods and cluster bombs with iron bombs as a backup.
Now I want to paint this in the 3 tone camo I've seen on some Aussie aircraft but can't find any good pics of it or what colours are used.
I'm also gonna need to find some modern Australian aircraft markings...any help there would be greatly appreciated  ;D
I think with the shape of the Viggen and that camo it will look pretty damn good 👍 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Definitely worth exploring this whiff!  Could be awesome.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

That's the general idea Ken  ;D ..epic is what I'm aiming for 😆
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Pellson

Three-tone camo - are you referring to the SEA-camo used on the 'varks? If so, you can easily Google the hues as they're the same as the USAF ones.

The Viggen was originally conceived as a fighterbomber, so a strike version is very logical. Use the standard Heller kit and you'll be pretty much there. You will need under fuselage pylons, though. These can be stolen from an Airfix Viggen kit, but the Airfix is a prototype, not a developed service machine.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: Pellson on August 30, 2023, 12:27:01 PMThree-tone camo - are you referring to the SEA-camo used on the 'varks? If so, you can easily Google the hues as they're the same as the USAF ones.

The Viggen was originally conceived as a fighterbomber, so a strike version is very logical. Use the standard Heller kit and you'll be pretty much there. You will need under fuselage pylons, though. These can be stolen from an Airfix Viggen kit, but the Airfix is a prototype, not a developed service machine.
I've got the ESCI kit Pellson..it's not great but I'm going to change that  ;D
As for pylons I've quite a few to play with .
I'm not sure what that camo is called matey but I think the colours are black..brown and sand ..something like that.

Wardukw

Pellson

Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2023, 12:35:10 PM
Quote from: Pellson on August 30, 2023, 12:27:01 PMThree-tone camo - are you referring to the SEA-camo used on the 'varks? If so, you can easily Google the hues as they're the same as the USAF ones.

I'm not sure what that camo is called matey but I think the colours are black..brown and sand ..something like that.

Black, brown and sand? That's got to be the Army camo, used on helos and tanks, right? Good choice!

The Esci kit is not in my scale, so I don't know anything about it. But I have two tips:
1; check that the fuselage ridge is area ruled. If so, you're good.
2; the attack and recon versions have a somewhat smaller fin than the interceptor/trainer versions. However, there was a projected but never realised upgrade planned for the former versions, where the major external difference was to change the fin to the bigger one. So either way, you're good!  ;)

Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Wardukw

Quote from: Pellson on August 30, 2023, 01:18:19 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2023, 12:35:10 PM

Black, brown and sand? That's got to be the Army camo, used on helos and tanks, right? Good choice!

The Esci kit is not in my scale, so I don't know anything about it. But I have two tips:
1; check that the fuselage ridge is area ruled. If so, you're good.
2; the attack and recon versions have a somewhat smaller fin than the interceptor/trainer versions. However, there was a projected but never realised upgrade planned for the former versions, where the major external difference was to change the fin to the bigger one. So either way, you're good!  ;)

Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Dude it's like yhis idea was ment to happen  ;D
Oh yeah ..army camo..not air force..me <-----dumb arse  :wacko:

kerick

Black, brown and sand in splinter scheme!  :wacko:
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on August 30, 2023, 09:59:15 PMBlack, brown and sand in splinter scheme!  :wacko:
Oh that's more than possible matey 🙃

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2023, 10:06:36 PM
Quote from: kerick on August 30, 2023, 09:59:15 PMBlack, brown and sand in splinter scheme!  :wacko:

You know you want to!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on August 30, 2023, 10:07:52 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 30, 2023, 10:06:36 PM

You know you want to!
I already decided to the moment I read your suggestion Ken .
It's the perfect scheme for this bird  :wub:  ;D

Dizzyfugu

A friend of mine did a Uganda(!) Viggen in a desert splinter scheme )no opics to share, though). Looks odd, but cool.

I've done an Australian Macross VF-1 some time ago with a splinter scheme with typical local colors:

Macross +++ 1:100 Stonewell/Bellcom VF-1Na (modified VF-1A Block 12) "Valkyrie"; aircraft "ON 720" of the U.N.S. Air Force tactical fighter squadron SVA-122 "Desert Eagles"; Oceanus Naval Station, Barrow Island/Western Australia, 2024 (modified ARII kit)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

What also looks IMHO cool is the RAAF C-130s' paint scheme; it's the high altitude variant of the USAF SEA scheme, which was applied to some FB-111s and B-52s:

Tried to adapt it for a whif:

1:72 ASTA A-31 Mk. 2 'Baza', aircraft A31-06 of 79 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF); Williamtown AB, Australia, late 2007 (Whif/kitbashing)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

...and there are virtual desert Viggens, too:

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/fnfmqv/twoship_ajs_37_viggen_returning_to_nellis_afb/

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..