Supermarine Speagle - REALLY done!

Started by PR19_Kit, August 31, 2023, 08:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on September 02, 2023, 10:38:45 AMOh.... Landing gear.
Looks like 391, like Spiteful, was to have main wheels fold inwards  :mellow:  :wacko:

It did, but the Speagle still used the F22's outward retracting gear, the test pilot was VERY careful with the throttle! And they kept the tyre pressures high too......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: perttime on September 02, 2023, 10:38:45 AM
Quote from: jcf on September 02, 2023, 10:08:28 AMMake the vertical taller as well as broader?
Tricky with the rounded shapes?
I suppose one could add material between fin and rudder to extend back and up - but then the rudder itself would need extending. It is pretty vertical at tailplane level.

Oh.... Landing gear.
Looks like 391, like Spiteful, was to have main wheels fold inwards  :mellow:  :wacko:
Pointy extended height fin ala Spitfire MK VIII/MK IX rudder.  ;)

PR19_Kit

I got this far with the Speagle before I started to concentrate on the Bv 148. All the PSR's done now, and I'm waiting for a Hataka paint sat to finish it off. I'm going to stick with the standard F22 five bladed prop, and have it run at greater pitch angles to abssorb the power of the Eagle engine, mainly because finding a suitable contra-prop isn't easy and I really don't fancy making a SEVEN bladed prop!  :o

The reason why the front face of the cowling is painted black is because the F22 spinner is smaller than the diameter of the cowling, so I'm saying that the visible black ring is going to be an annular carb intake for the engine. (Kit's 2nd Rule applies......... ;) )

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Doug K

perttime

How would it look with a big spinner that is open in the center, for an intake?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on September 23, 2023, 10:39:51 AMHow would it look with a big spinner that is open in the center, for an intake?

Yes, that might work too, if I had one.................

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2023, 08:23:33 AMAll the PSR's done now, and I'm waiting for a Hataka paint sat to finish it off.

I assume it's their RAF Recce paint set ? Just checked mine and wondering which of the more unusual shades your going to use ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 24, 2023, 01:18:15 AMI assume it's their RAF Recce paint set ? Just checked mine and wondering which of the more unusual shades your going to use ?  :angel:

Actually no, it's their late WWII set.

I've not got ANY Ocean Grey of any sort, which has to be stupid, but I like Hataka stuff so much I figured I'd try theirs.

I do have the PR set though, and that's got lots of weird and wonderful colours included.......  ;)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 24, 2023, 02:41:25 AMI do have the PR set though, and that's got lots of weird and wonderful colours included.......  ;)

I've a KP Spitfire PR.X which will be real world, simply so I can use their PR Pink  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

You could, but it - like all manufacturers PRU Pink - is way too pink. It's really very pale and more of an off white.  Mix your own. One bottle white paint with 5 to 6 drops of Red and it's spot on.

I detest any and all that I see on display at shows, because invariably they're wrong.  It's not like it's a difficult fix and anyone can do it. Plus, there are good colour photos of 13 Sqdn's trio of FR.IXc aircraft out there on t'interweb as reference.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2023, 08:23:33 AMThe reason why the front face of the cowling is painted black is because the F22 spinner is smaller than the diameter of the cowling, so I'm saying that the visible black ring is going to be an annular carb intake for the engine. (Kit's 2nd Rule applies......... ;) )

I like that idea a Lot! and will have to steal be inspired to emulate/use it!

And the open-centred spinner option as well. :thumbsup:

It will save a heap of time if/when the next spinner and engine cowling front mismatch occurs... :-\

kerick

This is looking better all the time!
Just a silly question that popped into my head. If the jet engine had not come along when it did, how far could have the piston engine been developed before topping out? Just keep adding rows of cylinders? Kind of how the design of civilian airliners has apparently leveled off to the tube with wings and two fans. Does this make sense?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

It's a good question, and JUST the sort of thing we here should be asking ourselves.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Avro Megacaster B.I Rolls-Royce H-72 Golden Eagle / B.II EE-Napier X-72 Excaliber powered bomber.

Hawker Furious Mk.I Bristol Serpentine 72-cylinder 8-row corn-cob-radial powered fighter.

:wacko:  :wacko:  :o  :wacko:  :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I foresee more than a few large Whiffs, with even LARGER engines and GINORMOUS props coming our way!

Contra-props are almost 'old hat' here, having just build one myself, but how about a triple or quad layer prop to absorb all that massive power without having to have huge diameter blades, and therefore very tall landing gear legs?

Regards
Kit