Supermarine Speagle - REALLY done!

Started by PR19_Kit, August 31, 2023, 08:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 27, 2023, 04:54:19 AMContra-props are almost 'old hat' here, having just build one myself, but how about a triple or quad layer prop to absorb all that massive power without having to have huge diameter blades, and therefore very tall landing gear legs?

No need for legs, just sling it under a mother aircraft and launch, then pick up via trapeze  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The Speagle's paint arrived this afternoon.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Then end if WW2 was getting close to the end of the propeller driven aircraft ..well combat aircraft where speed is concerned.
Airforce want more speed..higher altitudes..bigger weapons loads and the faster you go the more power you need.
The problem with a propeller is the speed ..no propeller aircraft has ever broken the speed of sound in level flight and a dive doesn't count where as a jet engine will spin faster and with many times less drag than any piston engine with a bloody big fan on the front.
The McDonnell XF-88B was an idea for supersonic prop planes and that didn't quite work out well at all.

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Is a Ducted Fan any better at speed than a propeller?

Wardukw

Quote from: perttime on September 27, 2023, 11:01:40 AMIs a Ducted Fan any better at speed than a propeller?
Yep ...as it's enclosed it moves the air in a more confined area meaning a much smoother air flow ..meaning more thrust .
You can really see how affective it is on something as simple as a RC plane and it can even sound very similar as a jet  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

The Republic XF-84H Thunderscreech (or Thunderprop) was another supersonic prop plane that didn't work. It was even louder than the Rotodyne!  :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_XF-84H_Thunderscreech
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: Wardukw on September 27, 2023, 10:50:40 AMThe McDonnell XF-88B was an idea for supersonic prop planes and that didn't quite work out well at all.

Ditto Republic's Thunderscreech
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Was it the XF-84H that made anyone near it on the ground nauseous because of vibrations in the surrounding air ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That's the one. The USAF finally banned it IIRC.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2023, 06:12:12 AMWas it the XF-84H that made anyone near it on the ground nauseous because of vibrations in the surrounding air ?
Including the pilot from what I've heard too . :o

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Wardukw on September 28, 2023, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2023, 06:12:12 AMWas it the XF-84H that made anyone near it on the ground nauseous because of vibrations in the surrounding air ?
Including the pilot from what I've heard too . :o

Would that count as 'Cruel and Unusual' ordnance? Or merely 'Beyond the Rules of Civilized Warfare'?  :-\

PR19_Kit

I'm more and more impressed with Hataka paints the more I use them.  :thumbsup:

I've painted the upper surfaces of the Speagle after having masked up the demarcation line to the Medium Sea Grey on the undersides. Hataka's Ocean Grey went on like chocolate eclairs go down my neck, one shot and it's done! I thought I'd need a second coat, but only in the few small areas that I'd missed.

A short while later it was time for the Dark Green camo, and I had some Tamiya Dark Green too, so I I did one tailplane half in Tamiya and one in Hataka. The Tamiya half was a bit wishy-washy and needed a second coat, and while the Hataka wasn't an exact colour match, perhaps a tad darker than the other side, it only needed the one coat.

So the Tamiya side got its second coat done in Hataka, RESULT!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Looking forward to the backstory in full on this one. W
Will it handle any better than the Typheagle I wonder?
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

I was a bit over-effusive in my praise for the Hataka Dark Green, it actually did need a second coat as the first was a bit streaky. But at least I could do it pretty quickly, unlike the Tamiya stuff which almost REJECTS a second coat until you've waited for ages. :(

The masking's off now, and I'll do the small amount of trim painting and then I can get a coat or two of Klear on it.

The backstory's sort of written at the start, but I'll flesh it out a bit when the model's done.

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2023, 10:51:53 AMThe backstory's sort of written at the start, but I'll flesh it out a bit when the model's done.

Will Whisky be involved? And who is going to test it? The plot thickens😀
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures