Supermarine Speagle - REALLY done!

Started by PR19_Kit, August 31, 2023, 08:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan7

If you have a PM Spitfire Floatplane in your stash I know that kit has the yellow prototype P ?  (That P & the floats are the best part of the kit ;D  :thumbsup: )
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

PR19_Kit

I have got a Spitfire floatplane kit, but I think it's by BrenGun, so it's probably got Ps as well. Sadly I'm 120 miles from home at the mo, so we'll see how things go. Quite a bit of detail work to do in the Speagle anyway, like the wheels, prop and canopy etc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hmm, I decided to glue the landing gear on, but with Airfix's new, hi-accuracy kits the main gear legs of the Spitfire F22 have square tops and they're meant to fit into square sockets, thus ensuring the legs fit at the correct angles in both directions.

Not if you've got paint in the square sockets they don't! :(

So I tried scraping the paint out with a scalpel, but the sockets are only about 1-1.5 mm square so No chance in doing that. I drilled the holes out with larger and larger drills until the legs did fit, and that worked OK but needed a bit of manual adjustment to get the angles dead on, but with the port leg I drilled too far and went clean through the upper surface of the wing. :(

That would have been OK and I could have puttied the tiny hole with a scrap of Presto and re-painted it, but I didn't..............

When I glued the port leg in place the glue went through the hole and stripped off a chunk of the paint on the upper surface too! Aggggh!  :banghead:  :banghead:

Hey ho, if it was easy everyone would be doing it , eh? I'll lightly sand and re-paint that bit when the legs are firmly glued I reckon, but it does look a lot better with the legs in place.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Darn glue runs... I have lost track of all the things they've marred.  :banghead:
I really need to learn 'Less is more', but then again it's also a case of 'Using enough to do the job properly', too.
A fine line, and I'm usually more of a Big Picture guy, anyway... ;D

Could you make a feature of the repainted bit?
Maybe an erk backed a bowser into the wing and it had to be repaired.

Wombat - yeah, that was the film. Worth a look.

Sorry Kit, back on track now, SAH! :thumbsup:

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 03, 2023, 11:08:17 AMHmm, I decided to glue the landing gear on, but with Airfix's new, hi-accuracy kits the main gear legs of the Spitfire F22 have square tops and they're meant to fit into square sockets, thus ensuring the legs fit at the correct angles in both directions.

Not if you've got paint in the square sockets they don't! :(

So I tried scraping the paint out with a scalpel, but the sockets are only about 1-1.5 mm square so No chance in doing that. I drilled the holes out with larger and larger drills until the legs did fit, and that worked OK but needed a bit of manual adjustment to get the angles dead on, but with the port leg I drilled too far and went clean through the upper surface of the wing. :(

Ouch - feel for you, having done many a similar thing.

The other solution is to pare down the square bit at the top of the leg with the edge of a blade to make it thinner.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Actually the glue run sorted out almost OK. I added maybe 3-4 coats of paint, and it's almost invisible now. The hole is still there, but filled up mostly, and I may just ignore it now.  ;D

With luck the Speagle should be finished today.

{Famous Last Words mode off]

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Well the Speagle's sort of finished, it's got all the decals on that it's going to have, bar two, and all the painting's done, and all the little greebles added, like aerials and stuff. I'm just waiting for the 'Ps in a ring' to come from Fantasy Printshop, and then I can varnish it and it WILL be done.

Sadly it's taken the FPS guys three days to 'process' my order, which doesn't bode well for me getting the decals before the end of the GB, but we live in hope anyway.

Regards
Kit

Vulcan7

You could take the photos and add the p in Photoshop?  ;)  ;D  ;D
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Leading Observer

Just add into the backstory that your photos were taken between paint shop moves - simples
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Wardukw

Quote from: Leading Observer on October 05, 2023, 09:09:40 AMJust add into the backstory that your photos were taken between paint shop moves - simples
There is Kits second rule ..perfect here for sure  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Still no news that the decal guys have posted my stuff, so I'll do some proper pics later today and post them, just in case............

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Am looking forward to seeing this Kit ..with or without its P plates  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Just say the P is silent, as in swimming  :-\  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on October 06, 2023, 08:29:54 AMJust say the P is silen, as in swimming  :-\  :rolleyes:  :unsure:

Gondor

The P is silent, as in psychology.       Any ways,  who wants a loud P we ask ourselves?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet