T-55A Rye Field Models (1/35)

Started by frank2056, September 03, 2023, 07:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

Inspired by The Chaos' excellent Tamiya T-55A build, I decided to move forward on a project I've wanted to do for a while: a T-55 in some forgotten African bush war. I have several T-55 and T-55 kits (including the Tamiya). I thought about using the Tamiya kit (which compares favorably with modern T-55 kits) but the PE set is on order. I asked one of my cats, Felix if he could pick one for me, but he wasn't happy being help up that high and he didn't pick one.  I eventually asked my wife; i hoped she would pick the Takom or Tamiya but she picked the Rye Field Models T-55A Mod. 1981. Fair enough; I'd just gotten the kit so might as well start it.

This is a fun (and for the most part) trouble-free build. Clear instructions, beautiful molding and the parts are arranged in numerical order on the sprues (I hate it when "part 5" is next to "part 72" and "part 6" is next to "part 48"). The kit has workable tracks and surprisingly, almost all of the links are fully workable - only one got stuck to the next track link and that was an easy fix. There are plenty of pins and tracks left over as well.

Here's where I was earlier today. Tracks are on just to check the tension. 91 links (as shown in the instructions) works well:

Most of the work today was gluing the deck in place and adding all the small bits. The lower hull comes in 4 parts (bottom, sides and rear) and I snapped the deck into place until everything was set. There are still some gaps, but some are there on the real tank and others will be hidden by the turret.

The wheels have prominent treads/mold lines that have to be sanded back quite a bit before they look realistic; I'll do that before I paint the model.

Wardukw

Oh I'm gonna enjoy this alot 😁😁
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

buzzbomb

Ok  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

never seen one of these built... looking forward to this

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on September 03, 2023, 07:02:03 PM(I hate it when "part 5" is next to "part 72" and "part 6" is next to "part 48").

That can be infuriating at times, almost as bad as having no numbers on the sprue, sometimes worse I suppose.  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Those lines across the road wheels are, from memory, casting seams from the moulds for the solid rubber tyres.

They'd only be there for a short while, when new, before they were worn off but you can, more often than not, see them on the sides of the tyres.

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

I've been very close to quite a few T-55s over the yrs ..many like Wombies russian T-80 and T-90 pics ..structurally rearranged with the help of high velocity projectiles.  ;D
Even tho some ..well many were totalled you can still the remains of the mold lines on the tyres .
Those will remain even when the rubber is nearly worn away..there's very little if any rubbing on the side walls of the road wheels.
Early Trumpeter T-55 road wheels were terrible as these mold lines were far to large and needed to be sanded down..alot  :o
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

It doesn't feel like I've been making much progress on this model, but I have; yesterday I removed the mold marks on the road wheel contact surfaces but left the mold marks on the sidewalls. I also forgot to add the driver's periscopes and there was no way I would be able to cram them into place from the inside (I tried). So I cut the prisms off and glued them in under the protective covers. Problem solved.

I've been going page by page, slowly building up the main deck; no major problems except for the microscopic (about 1mm in diameter) covers/plugs on the fuel tanks. Three are required, four provided and I lost two. Luckily, I have several of the Meng Nuts and Bolts set and one of the nuts and washers was a reasonable facsimile.

The only tricky part has been the installation of the fuel tanks, braces and fuel lines; examine the instructions and dry fit to get an idea on how they go. The fuel lines are a work of beauty and they fit perfectly - the diagram on the instruction sheet is key.

One issue I've had in this build (since it is a Russian tank after all...) is trying to figure out if the gaps or seams are something I have to putty or sand down or if they're a "feature" of the real tank. So far, about 80% have been a feature!

note that the front fenders haven't been attached; I'm trying to replicate one (or both) with copper or aluminum foil that I can crumple to replicate damage.

Wardukw

Frank I can tell ya when it comes to gaps russian tanks have em everywhere ..and they aren't small..remember the T-55 was made in their thousands..typical russian build mentality..build em fast and build as many as possible....quality is not the word  so don't feel like things have to be good ..cause there a long way from that.

frank2056

"tighten nut. Stop. Drink vodka. Weld 10cm. Stop. Drink vodka" repeat until tank rolls off assembly line.

buzzbomb

I am impressed by the fuel pipes. That is several CM of wire you did not have to craft up yourself.

This does look pretty slick

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

scooter

Quote from: frank2056 on September 06, 2023, 12:38:52 PM"tighten nut. Stop. Drink vodka. Weld 10cm. Stop. Drink vodka" repeat until tank rolls off assembly line.

Have smoke & tea breaks.  Ogle Olga the manager's secretary.  Avoid the commissar.

Quote from: Wardukw on September 05, 2023, 10:20:37 PMFrank I can tell ya when it comes to gaps russian tanks have em everywhere ..and they aren't small..remember the T-55 was made in their thousands..typical russian build mentality..build em fast and build as many as possible....quality is not the word  so don't feel like things have to be good ..cause there a long way from that.

"Quantity has a quality all its own" - J. Stalin.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

Quote from: scooter on September 06, 2023, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: frank2056 on September 06, 2023, 12:38:52 PM"tighten nut. Stop. Drink vodka. Weld 10cm. Stop. Drink vodka" repeat until tank rolls off assembly line.

Have smoke & tea breaks.  Ogle Olga the manager's secretary.  Avoid the commissar.

Quote from: Wardukw on September 05, 2023, 10:20:37 PMFrank I can tell ya when it comes to gaps russian tanks have em everywhere ..and they aren't small..remember the T-55 was made in their thousands..typical russian build mentality..build em fast and build as many as possible....quality is not the word  so don't feel like things have to be good ..cause there a long way from that.

"Quantity has a quality all its own" - J. Stalin.

So so so ture 😆 🤣
When I do the fuel lines on a t-55 I have naked em prefect cause there not..some I've seem look like they bent by hand and they used a hammer to make the connections fit and this one wasn't even destroyed  .

frank2056

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 06, 2023, 03:42:22 PMI am impressed by the fuel pipes. That is several CM of wire you did not have to craft up yourself.

Solder can work as fuel lines. The hard part is making the connectors - plastic rod slightly greater in diameter than the solder, then end caps/rings/washers of even slightly larger diameter.

Or just use solder wire and squat in the corner "Da, good enough for 1/35 scale"

Here's the layout from the kit instructions. Really handy, even for other kits:

Wardukw

Frank solder is the exact stuff I use..ive got many different sizes from .3mm up .
This how I cheatummm make it look amazing 😏
I'll glue the kits fuel lines in place and then once dry cut out the lines just before the connection..then just make new crappy looking lines and super glue em in place .👍