T-55A Rye Field Models (1/35)

Started by frank2056, September 03, 2023, 07:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on September 06, 2023, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: frank2056 on September 06, 2023, 12:38:52 PM"tighten nut. Stop. Drink vodka. Weld 10cm. Stop. Drink vodka" repeat until tank rolls off assembly line.

Have smoke & tea breaks.  Ogle Olga the manager's secretary.  Avoid the commissar.

;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

This model can be broken down into three assemblies that take roughly the same amount of time to make: tracks, hull and turret. The tracks are a tedious but simple assembly. The hull is a mix of large and medium sized parts, with only a few PE sections and not too many small parts. The turret has a few large parts but many, many intricate sub-assemblies and the most PE in the build; the DShK alone has five!

Anyway, I'm almost done with construction. No major issues, just plugging away at the tiny bits:

I made the "executive decision" to remove some equipment, like the snorkel tube, based on images of African T-55s. Instead, I made attachment points for the tube out of styrene (the kit's didn't match the pictures). I also skipped the vinyl bag and its PE straps that went on the rear of the turret. The two materials are a pain to work with individually and together they're just too much. I'll probably only use one of the fuel tanks at the rear as well.

I've been trying to simulate the tank fenders with copper foil with mediocre results; I may just leave one off.

Coming up is painting. I'll use a dark Russian green for the base color and cover it with a tan or sand color (or similar) to match the African tanks I've found online.

Old Wombat

Really nice, crisp detail on that kit, Frank, & it's still moving ahead nicely! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

What's the problem with the copper foil?

I've seen "pie dish" foil used successfully to make 1/25 car bodywork for crash dioramas and damaged vehicle models.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

frank2056

The copper and aluminum foils I wanted to use are great, but a little to thick to conform to the fender safely. I have aluminum kitchen foil but that's too delicate. I have copper tape (used to keep snails from invading planters) which is perfect, but the glue is pretty strong. I combined the copper with the aluminum foil and that worked great, but the fender has some tight bends on the edges and they didn't come out great. I'll post a picture later.

frank2056

Here's the copper+aluminum foil fender:

It's going to be bent and damaged, but I wanted to start from a fairly accurate base.
This was the look I was after, but the missing fender seems the most common "repair":

buzzbomb

I think the fender is working well.

Back on the fuel pipes, the method I used at the time was solid core copper Telephone patch wire, using the insulation as the connectors. Very fiddly cutting and stripping but it did look ok. Not as good as this but ok.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Story on September 12, 2023, 08:25:57 PM

Frank, this Ugandan T-55 that Story posted (over on BtS) has flat-plate front track guards, the originals were probably battered beyond repair or torn off & replaced with sheet metal at some stage.

You could easily do the same! :smiley:

zenrat

Quote from: frank2056 on September 12, 2023, 12:55:54 PMHere's the copper+aluminum foil fender:

It's going to be bent and damaged, but I wanted to start from a fairly accurate base.
This was the look I was after, but the missing fender seems the most common "repair":

:bow:
Thats going to look bonza once it's a bit crumpled and painted.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

frank2056

First coat of paint (AK Interactive 3rd gen light sand and middlestone, 2:1) over Tamiya NATO black and green (mainly for the shadows).

Missed a few spots. I'll get them tomorrow:

It's not quite as green as this picture shows:

Tracks are painted in Vallejo steel - still flexible.

Next, finish painting the overall color, then paint the details, do some chipping, then more weathering.

Wardukw

See I bet that looks great to you other guys ..to me it's one colour ..not shading or difference   :banghead:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

frank2056

Getting there. Still need more dirt/scratches/rust and the tracks need weathering and some attention, plus some extra detailing. I painted one metal fender, but haven't looked at it in detail.

pictures are in late afternoon Sun, hence the shadows.

Wardukw

OK that sun did the trick Frank...the road wheels look very nice and so does well everything else 😀 😉
Lovin this mate 🙌 👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

Thanks, Phill - looking at the pictures, I can see all the things I have to fix, starting with the track tension.