South Australian Modelling Expo

Started by rickshaw, September 15, 2023, 01:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

We may start small but tomorrow the world is ours!!!!!  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Unfortunately Brian (rickshaw) was unable to attend this year (Get well soon, mate!) but I met up with Brian (buzzbomb) again & met Fred (zenrat).

Kinda made my day because I'm so used to wandering around by myself &, when talking to people about modelling, having to explain what I do. Having people who know, understand & appreciate what you do there, in person, is a fantastic feeling! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanks for turning up, Fred! It was great to finally meet you! :bow:  :bow:

And I'll catch up with you tomorrow, Brian! ;D

PS: I'll try to post photo's tomorrow, when I've finished & sorted through them all.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Looking forward to the pics, and wish I'd have been there too. A meeting of minds if ever there was one!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Unfortunately I was too unwell to attend, which was a bugger, I tell you.   SWMBO declared she wanted to use the car so that left me with the train down to Adelaide railway station and Guy was going to give me a lift from there to the Model Expo but I don't really have the stamina for that sort of trip any more so declared myself unable to attend.   :banghead:

Old Wombat

Just going through the photo's ... back in a bit! :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

I have to say I had a better day than I expected.

First I scored a few interesting purchases;

1 x Trumpeter 1/48 C-47A Skytrain (02828) - big kit of the lovely Dak
1 x AZ Model 1/48 Avia B.35.2 1940 (AZ 4802) - it'll be wearing Czech markings
1 x Alley Cat 1/48 Canberra B.6 nose conversion with optional camera fairings (AC48012C) - I have a PR Canberra, it should cause confusion amongst the aircraft nuts JMN's
1 x Cammett Ltd 1/48 Blue Water Nissiles for the Airfix TSR.2 - only I don't have an Airfix TSR.2 but I do have 2 x Airfix (new tool) 1/48 Buccaneers!
1 x Hornet 1/35 Set of 5 Heads with British officers' caps - every military needs officers, it gives WO's someone to shout at
1 x Hornet 1/35 Set of 5 Heads with WW2 style short back & sides haircuts - will do for most militaries over most periods
1 x Hornet 1/35 Set of 5 Heads with UK rimless helmets (paras/AFV crews/bikers) - the RAMs will use the rimless helmet for most of WW2 & into Vietnam
1 x FireStorm 1/35 Australian Army Formation Signs WW2 dry transfers - it includes unit markings for the odd M3 Grant variant I intend modelling for next year's Expo

Next;

The "Encounter in the Ruins" diorama got a Commendation

The Avro Winchester got 3rd Place (in the Unnominated/Scrathbuilt category), and

The (Real World) Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 got 2nd Place

My first ever placings ... I'm quite chuffed! ;D

Old Wombat

Brian (buzzbomb) didn't do too badly either!

His is the "ESGF Radar Picket" (2nd Prize)

His is the BSG Viper Mk 2 Blacksun

(This won 1st Prize, too, but the Prize photo was a mess & had to be deleted)

I've probably missed several because he seemed to be walking up to collect a prize every few seconds! :o  ;D  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

A few of my favourites & a link to my SmugMug album;

And, lastly, this one when I was trying to quietly subvert the Small Scale Multi-Prop category into accepting a Whif amongst its entrants ...

... Unfortunately I got found out & moved. Lucky for them, I say! :wacko:

Link: South Australian Plastic Model Expo 2023

NARSES2

Well done on the placings mate  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  and many thanks for the photographs. Some great stuff there  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Vulcan7

Great collection of models & yours gets 1st place in my book  :lol:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Steel Penguin

indeed  well done  :thumbsup:  and thanks for the pics,  ;D
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 08, 2023, 03:37:09 AMAnd, lastly, this one when I was trying to quietly subvert the Small Scale Multi-Prop category into accepting a Whif amongst its entrants ...

... Unfortunately I got found out & moved. Lucky for them, I say! :wacko:

You naughty, naughty, man!  Do you realise what conniptions you caused in the JMNs?  You should be careful, you might be drummed out of membership.  Oh, dearie, dearie, me!  :banghead:

Well done that man!  Well done indeed!   :thumbsup: 

Old Wombat

Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow:

@ rickshaw: It's a pity you couldn't have dropped in for a while, Brian, it would have been fun*! :thumbsup:

[*: Well, except for the lack of energy that would have drained all the joy out of everything. As I've said before "Get well, mate!"]

rickshaw

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 09, 2023, 03:04:00 AMThank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow:

@ rickshaw: It's a pity you couldn't have dropped in for a while, Brian, it would have been fun*! :thumbsup:

[*: Well, except for the lack of energy that would have drained all the joy out of everything. As I've said before "Get well, mate!"]

I just wish it had been possible.  I get tired going around the block, nowadays.  :banghead:

buzzbomb

Twas indeed a great catchup with Old Wombat and Zenrat.
Pretty stoked with my results as well.

Next show for me will be Scalemodelworld 2023 as part of this years holidays

Oh BTW, Guy, thanks for the tip on the SA Military Museum, it was very well curated and some really interesting exhibits