Breguet Bre.693, Free French Airforce - North Africa - February 1941

Started by RAFF-35, September 16, 2023, 03:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAFF-35

This is the Breguet Bre.693 "7" flown by S/C de Thanneburg and S/C Badel of Groupe Bombardment d'Assult (GBA) II/54, 4 Escadrille. The crew were fighting valiantly to stem the tide of Nazi Germany flooding into France from the north and east, but despite their best efforts, the mechanized units of the Wermarcht  kept pushing further and further towards Paris. 4 Escadrille was scattered by an unexpected early morning assault, Thanneburg and some of his squadron flew south to relative safety to continue fighting the invading Germans. Some of 4 Escadrille flew across the channel to England, but GBA II/54 fought doggidly despite their numerical disadvantage and were pushed further and further south. The remaining crew mates gathered together and agreed that they would attempt to fly to Algerie where they would be able to reform and reorganise. But S/c Gasley pointed out that the Bre.693 would not have the endurance to make the flight across the Mediterranean. They quickly came up with the idea of fitting a 350 litre fuel tank in the bomb bay of the 693s. Word got out that French pilots were convening in Algerie, this gave the squadron their target. After arriving, the pilots discovered that those in command had no plan and no unified strategy. The only thing they did know was that they were now flying for the  Forces Aériennes Françaises Libres (FAFL) or Free French Airforce. To distinguish themselves from the traitorous Vichy French, the aircraft had the cross of lorraine painted  on the wings and fuselage.
After weeks of inactivity due to bureaucratic disputes, the crews of GBA ii/54 flew in aid of British ground forces who were being harried by the Italians. This was the first of many successful sorties in support of their British allies. As the German presence in North Africa became more strongly felt, the effectiveness of the Bre.693's armament became reduced against the well armoured panzers. To counter this, 25mm Hotchkiss anti tank guns were fitted as field modifications on the port side of the aircrafts nose. This, coupled with the extended range made the 693 a formidable ground attack aircraft for the remainder of the North African campaign.
Don't let ageing get you down, it's too hard to get back up

RAFF-35

Old Wombat

Nice! :thumbsup:

It's a pity that the French military in Algeria threw their lot in with the Vichy regime in the RW.

If they'd followed de Gaulle's lead the North African campaign may have been over, with a decisive Anglo-French victory over the Italians, before the Germans could send Rommel & the DAK to Libya, & would have added an entire French fleet to prevent them getting there if they tried.

This would have bottled the Italians up in Italy, the Greek & Cretan campaigns would either not have happened or, worst case, would have seen significantly higher losses for the Germans. Also, with the significant French forces in Algeria aligned with Britain & the Allies, the Syrian & Lebanese French forces may well have decided not to support Vichy, either.

Thus leading to an entirely different-looking Mediterranean Theatre of Operations.

I don't think things would have looked much different in Indochina, though.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That's come out really nice  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Whose kit is it ? I've the Azur one in the stash along with a few others from the period. Always had a bit of a "thing" about late 30's French designs, some really interesting types there.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

SPINNERS

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

RAFF-35

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 17, 2023, 12:52:36 AMNice! :thumbsup:

It's a pity that the French military in Algeria threw their lot in with the Vichy regime in the RW.

If they'd followed de Gaulle's lead the North African campaign may have been over, with a decisive Anglo-French victory over the Italians, before the Germans could send Rommel & the DAK to Libya, & would have added an entire French fleet to prevent them getting there if they tried.

This would have bottled the Italians up in Italy, the Greek & Cretan campaigns would either not have happened or, worst case, would have seen significantly higher losses for the Germans. Also, with the significant French forces in Algeria aligned with Britain & the Allies, the Syrian & Lebanese French forces may well have decided not to support Vichy, either.

Thus leading to an entirely different-looking Mediterranean Theatre of Operations.

I don't think things would have looked much different in Indochina, though.

I always find alternate histories so interesting because something seemingly minor in the grand scheme of things can snow ball and have such large effects.

RAFF-35

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 17, 2023, 05:22:39 AMThat's come out really nice  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Whose kit is it ? I've the Azur one in the stash along with a few others from the period. Always had a bit of a "thing" about late 30's French designs, some really interesting types there.

Thank you very much! The kit is the Smer (Heller) offering in 1:72. It looks superficially rather nice but there are a number of little things it's missing such as the weapons sight and little air intakes on top of the nacelles... Ohhh and the entire interior  ;D 

But to be honest, you really can't notice the lack of interior once the glazing goes on. Plus I like simple kits as I'm less likely to run out of steam half way through the build  :angel:

NARSES2

Thanks  :thumbsup:

The Azur (now Special Hobby) was newly tooled in 2011 and has a little more detail.

Quote from: RAFF-35 on September 17, 2023, 10:49:45 PMBut to be honest, you really can't notice the lack of interior once the glazing goes on. Plus I like simple kits as I'm less likely to run out of steam half way through the build  :angel:

I say that to myself every time I spend 3 days detailing the interior of a subject that I know will never be seen again  :banghead:  Nowhere near as bad as I used to be, but I do sometimes wonder  :rolleyes:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

RAFF-35

Quote from: zenrat on September 19, 2023, 04:29:12 AMI've got one of these in the stash.

I've also built the Azur 695.

Is that the one with the P&W Twin Wasps? I'd love to build a Bre.700 with Gnome Rhône 14Ms but I'm not really sure how different they would look to the original? 🤔