Anti-submarine SV-22 Osprey in retro PBJ-1H/J colors?

Started by seadude, September 24, 2023, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

An idea I've had for several months now. But not sure if the color scheme will work?
I picked up an old 1/72 scale AMT/Ertl SV-22 Osprey model kit in a US Navy proposed anti-submarine configuration.
The US Navy never did turn the Osprey into an anti-submarine hunter variant. :(
But anyway, I was thinking of painting it in the old retro WWII colors of the PBJ-1H/J B-25 Mitchell variants which
I think were white underside, intermediate blue sides, and a dark sea blue top.
Here are some PBJ examples to show the color schemes:
http://www.arcair.com/Gal6/5901-6000/gal5921-PBJ-1H-Mucaro/00.shtm
http://www.arcair.com/Gal16/15601-15700/gal15631-PBJ-1J-Langley/00.shtm
Would such schemes be ok for my SV-22 model or should I switch to something else? What do you think?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Pellson

As an in-service machine, that scheme seems unlikely, but for a display Osprey - why not?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

That three-colour USN scheme is my absolute FAVE USN scheme, go for it!  :thumbsup:

I liked it so much I painted my dining room in that scheme in my first Derby house. And the sitting room was done in IJN bomber scheme of green and orange.  ;D

My then wife, not the late Mrs_PR19,  never figured out what the schemes were actually..................  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on September 24, 2023, 01:20:00 PMAs an in-service machine, that scheme seems unlikely, but for a display Osprey - why not?

There you go! A commemorative scheme celebrating XX years of something something.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

According to the VMB-613 website the squadron was formed 80 years ago so that should work.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Good idea go for it, I changed the lifting engines for a pair of turbofans and added the pivoting radar from the Sea King ASaC.7/AEW then painted the model in gunship acrylic grey. I just have to buy some decals and it will be finished.

PR19_Kit

A while back the USN painted a number of aircraft in various historic schemes, and that three-colour scheme was used on quite a few of them. That makes your idea perfectly acceptable I'd say.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Nick

That would look brilliant! I have that same kit but either the artwork is different or I'm getting confused with a magazine drawing - it has a V-22 dropping a torpedo or sonar.

I've actually collected various blue/grey/white camo schemes with a view to using them on my V-22. Toys, t-shirt patterns, camo gear etc.
This explains why I have a spraycan of USN Dark Blue in my stash. I'd forgotten why till last week  ;D

PR19_Kit

The middle colour's actually a blue, it's Intermediate Blue in USN parlance IIRC.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2023, 06:58:20 AMThe middle colour's actually a blue, it's Intermediate Blue in USN parlance IIRC.

FS 35164 ^^

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 25, 2023, 07:45:14 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2023, 06:58:20 AMThe middle colour's actually a blue, it's Intermediate Blue in USN parlance IIRC.

FS 35164 ^^
Stated as the official equivalent to ANA 608, but FS 16187 is actually a closer match in terms of the actual colour.
;)

kerick

Until they faded after a long deployment in the tropics!
Tophe the Wise

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2023, 12:29:25 AMA while back the USN painted a number of aircraft in various historic schemes, and that three-colour scheme was used on quite a few of them. That makes your idea perfectly acceptable I'd say.

There were some great schemes for the Centennial of Naval Aviation @2011

https://www.airliners.net/photo-albums/view/Centennial-of-Naval-Aviation-100th-Anniversary-Paint-Schemes/24947
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Tophe the Wise

jcf

Seeing as the 3-colour scheme was standard across types you could pick a former bomber, torpedo or ASW squadron for an ASW V-22. 

VS-24 was an S-3 operator that was originally formed in 1943 as VB-17 using the Curtiss SB2C.
Aircraft operated over the years were the Grumman Guardian, Grumman S-2 Tracker and the Lockheed S-3. It was disestablished in 2007 with retirement of the S-3. You could have it being reformed with your ASW SV-22.

VS-24