Anti-submarine SV-22 Osprey in retro PBJ-1H/J colors?

Started by seadude, September 24, 2023, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: kerick on September 24, 2023, 07:38:16 PMAccording to the VMB-613 website the squadron was formed 80 years ago so that should work.
An ASW SV-22 wouldn't be operated by a USMC squadron. 
;)

Joe C-P

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please!   :wub:

I was going to build such an SV-22, though not in such a lovely scheme, and you doing it will satisfy that unscratched itch.

JoeCP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

seadude

One thing I forgot to mention for this model idea project is the following: Where do I put the sonobuoy system?
Almost all anti-sub aircraft or helicopters have a section located on the aircraft for dropping sonobuoys.
The SH-60 Seahawk usually has a section on the left and/or right sides of the helicopter for carrying up to 25 sonobuoys.
And the old S-3 Viking had a section on the rear underside of the aircraft for carrying up to 50-60 sonobuoys.
So where the heck do I fit one on an SV-22 Osprey? Sample pics of the model kit instructions are below.
And secondly, do I leave the rear cargo ramp door open or closed? There's no interior cargo hold detail whatsoever inside the fuselage.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

jcf

It already has openings through the belly for the external cargo hooks, reuse one of those bays for the sonobuoy tubes?

The rear ramp would be very handy for reloading expendables like the sonobuoys.
Pre-loaded modules that are swapped out?

Also you have a lot of internal space to work with:

seadude

Quote from: jcf on October 17, 2023, 12:51:38 PMIt already has openings through the belly for the external cargo hooks, reuse one of those bays for the sonobuoy tubes?

The rear ramp would be very handy for reloading expendables like the sonobuoys.
Pre-loaded modules that are swapped out?

Also you have a lot of internal space to work with:

In one of the pics I posted which shows Part 21C (Retrieval Hook), I will not use that and will be using that spot instead for a dipping sonar system.
There's not as much internal space as you think. It's only a 1/72 scale model. A lot smaller than 1/48.
And I would also need to find a spot somewhere on the outside of the aircraft for a magnetic anomoly detector which is a small red and yellow colored piece of equipment that is carried by SH-60 Seahawks.
And last but not least, I'd also have to add a circular APS-124 radar system under the nose/belly of the aircraft. This system is also shown/used on anti-sub Seahawks.
Anyway, the interior hold of the Osprey is going to get awfully crowded considering I'd also need to add the console displays, chairs, and other bits of equipment.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

McColm

Having flown aboard the Lockheed Martin P-3C with the USNAVY during a NATO Exercise back in 1995, they load the sonorbouys into tubes from the outside, where as the Royal Air Force carry a mixture on board, then launch them inside at the rear of the Nimrod or P-8.

Scotaidh

Looking at the COD Osprey made me wonder if it a) had ever been tried; and b) is it even feasible to do LAPES on a carrier?  Instead of a drag chute they could use a hook trailed out of the ramp ... they'd know they had to try again if the load stayed onboard ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

An extra limiting factor with doing a LAPES drop with an Osprey would be the extra height it would have to fly at so the prop/rotor tips didn't hit the deck. They're BIG!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2023, 12:58:08 PMAn extra limiting factor with doing a LAPES drop with an Osprey would be the extra height it would have to fly at so the prop/rotor tips didn't hit the deck. They're BIG!
They'd do it with the rotors tilted up to 45°, the position used for rolling STOL take-off and landing. 
It's also been used while testing forward firing weapons.

seadude

Question time. ;)
Going back to these two links here and looking at the pictures of both models:
http://www.arcair.com/Gal6/5901-6000/gal5921-PBJ-1H-Mucaro/00.shtm
http://www.arcair.com/Gal16/15601-15700/gal15631-PBJ-1J-Langley/00.shtm
.............there's like a feathered/blurred edge between the dark sea blue color and the intermediate blue color. Same between the intermediate blue and the white.
I don't own an airbrush and can't use one for various reasons that would help create that feathered edge between colors.
So what other options are there to create that feathered/blurred edge?

kerick

I've heard of using a trimmed down brush and a stipple technique. I think it would have to be a very fine bristle brush. Never tried it myself so test it out and see what you get.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

I've had some success with this type of edge in the past by allowing the darker to colour to virtually dry and then using a dry brush to very gently drag it downwards.   Not perfect by any means but with care it will pass.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

I create such blurred edges with a flat brush with synthtic fibres and only very little paiunt on the tips, almost as dry-brushing, and working from the dark into the light tone.

Scotaidh

I've done the "cut-off brush and stabbing with it" method, with mixed results.  By which I mean, at the time I wasn't enthusiastic about the result, but since all subsequent attempts yielded nothing better, over time I've come to accept it.

I mostly used it on German aircraft (109 & 190) fuselages, working down from the upper surfaces. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Would an anti submarine Osprey drop weapons on a submarine or would it just crash on top of it?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..