1/32 Revell BK-117 A-3M in polish service

Started by wacek85, September 25, 2023, 09:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacek85

Popular BK-117 helicopter (the same one used in the series "Medicopter 117) is commonly used by Police, rescue services, civil aviation, etc. Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm company has developed a specialized military version of the BK-117 known as A-3M. A mock-up using S-01 airframe was shown in Paris in 1985. This version was supposed to transport up to 10 soldiers or carry various weapons systems. Optionally, a variant on a raised chassis was offered with an under-fuselage Lucas gun turret, HOT missiles, a stabilized targeting and observation head above the rotor and the latest avionic equipment. Despite previous interest in the project, it did not find buyers and the entire project was abandoned in 1988. But it really was?
In December 1994, Polish Armed Forces received 18 Mi-24D helicopters from the German Ministry of Defense. The first 6 machines were delivered on december 27, 1994, the rest arrived in february 1995. In addition, Poland was secretly offered to take over BK-117A-3M. The helicopter was almost ready to take off. Conversion to the civilian version was not profitable, the Luftwaffe was already using Tiger helicopters, so an additional BK-117 was not needed, even a specialized one. In June 1995, "BeKas" (in english - snipe, spiece of a bird), as it came to be called, was transferred to the base in Pruszcz Gdański. It was brought to the base and repainted so as not to differ much from the Falcons and Mi-2. Landing compartment was modified - only three seats were left and M134D guns were installed in the doors on both sides. The Lucas turret was also modified - two Browning system guns were stuffed into it. After successful tests, the "Bekas" converted in this way was enlisted for line service. The Mi-24 outperformed it in terms of size, armor and the number of weapons, but the "Bekas" made up for it in terms of maneuverability, acceleration and electronic equipment. It often happened that the BK-117 acted as the "eyes and ears" of several Mi-24s and it performed excellently in this role. The pilots loved sleek machine with the agility of a sports motorcycle, but Second Lieutenant Janina "Janka" Bereźniak liked "Bekas" the most. She openly claimed that only Airwolf, if created, could compare to him.
It is known that "Bekas" was sent to support IFOR and SFOR forces in Bosnia and Herzegovina, where it often served as a transport for special forces. Its maneuverability and firepower saved the allies' a###s many times. "Spiecials" knew perfectly well the sound of "Bekas'" Lycoming turboshaft engines and the rattle of the Browning double, and they knew as well that "Bekas" with "Janka" at the controls was a guarantee of returning to the post-mission debriefing unharmed
-------------------------------------------------- ---------
I bought the 1/32 Revell BK-117 military helicopter model not long ago. Putting  together helicopter models is something that relaxes me, so I immediately started my new purchase. It fit quite well, but the unclear instructions made it a bit difficult. I also bought miniguns from Legend Productions, Browning barrels from MASTER and a female pilot from Def.Model. I made the AN/ALQ-144 device from beads for so-called diamond embroidery. The decals are a mix of sets for the AH-64 and Mi-24. 

PR19_Kit

Lovely job, but which scale and which kit is it please?  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

wacek85

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2023, 10:08:11 AMLovely job, but which scale and which kit is it please?  :thumbsup:

Corrected , it's 1/32 Revell BK-117 Military, kit no. 4486

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Awesome work and that M134 minigun sticking out the door will draw me in evertime 😀😀👍
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Excellent build! Big scale = big on detail! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Cool. Not certain about the shark mouth decoration, but the heli looks very good.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PolluxDeltaSeven

Beautiful model, very well done !

Where does the sight on the rotor mast came from ?

Did you find any pictures of the "real thing" exposed at the Paris Air Show 85 as inspiration ?

EDIT: Oups, I didn't understand that the 1/32 model was already the military version. Cool thing Revell offers it !
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

comrade harps

Whatever.