Arado Ar-234G-3

Started by TomZ, September 26, 2023, 11:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Arado Ar-234G-3

In 1943 there were grave doubts in Germany about the ability of the engine manufacturers to create reliable jet engines in sufficient numbers to power all the new aircraft being developed at the time.

This prompted the Arado factory to develop a piston engined variant of their Ar-234 jet bomber and reconnaissance aircraft. This variant was given the designation Ar-234G. The first prototype flew in January 1945 and had two Jumo 213 engines. As the undercarriage of the Ar-234 was not placed in the engine nacelles it was relatively simple to substitute the jet engines with piston ones.

A number of airframes that were sitting around waiting for their jet engines were converted to G standard. Two basic variant were planned, the G-1 bomber and the G-2 night fighter. As the night fighter variant was not very successful, the G-2 aircraft were converted to G-3 daytime destroyers.

At the end of the war in May 1945 a total of 68 Ar-234G's had been completed.

Model: Dragon 1/72 with engines of a PM Models Ta-154

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

SPINNERS

Lovely stuff! So simple and well executed.

Vulcan7

Yes, that's a beauty  :mellow:  :thumbsup:
Could be in the GB
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

PR19_Kit

Magic stuff Tom, most impressive.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

mexchiwa

Nice. Though I'd love to see one with the original jettisonable undercarriage ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: mexchiwa on September 26, 2023, 01:37:16 PMNice. Though I'd love to see one with the original jettisonable undercarriage ;)

That's not easy with available kits. The Ar 234A had a differently shaped fuselage to the B versions with the wheels, but it's not easy to see from the side. They were almost triangular in section and that's a heck of a change from the normal round one. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Nice to see what one looks like, outside of my imagination and holding the parts against each other!
Good work.  :thumbsup:
I really should get on with mine, at some stage...

Dizzyfugu

Nice!  :lol:  And plausible, too, even though the engine nacelles would either have held the wheel or have smaller dimensions? The cammo looks nice!

TomZ

Quote from: Vostoc7 on September 26, 2023, 12:18:39 PMYes, that's a beauty  :mellow:  :thumbsup:
Could be in the GB

Nah, Started last year already......

TomZ

TomZ

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 26, 2023, 11:42:29 PMNice!  :lol:  And plausible, too, even though the engine nacelles would either have held the wheel or have smaller dimensions? The cammo looks nice!

Fuel?

TomZ

Old Wombat

Great build, Tom! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

But;

Quote from: TomZ on September 26, 2023, 11:35:09 AMIn 1943 there were grave doubts in Germany about the ability of the engine manufacturers to create reliable jet engines in sufficient numbers to power all the new aircraft being developed at the time.

This prompted the Arado factory to develop a piston engined variant of their Ar-234 jet bomber and reconnaissance aircraft. This variant was given the designation Ar-234G. The first prototype flew in January 1945 and had two Jumo 213 engines.

At the end of the war in May 2945 a total of 68 Ar-234G's had been completed.

TomZ

The war lasted 1006 years & it took 1000 years to build 68 aircraft?  :blink:  Tough war! :o

;D  ;D  ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TomZ

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 27, 2023, 03:34:17 AMThe war lasted 1006 years & it took 1000 years to build 68 aircraft?  :blink:  Tough war! :o

<_<  <_<  <_<  <_<  <_<

Error corrected.

TomZ

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hotte

Wardukw

It's a twin  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
I really like this..like a cross between Arado and the FW TA-154 ..but much better looking 👌  :wub:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .