Heinkel He-280 B-1

Started by TomZ, September 30, 2023, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Heinkel He-280 B-1

At the end of 1942 it became clear that the He-280 would not be ordered in production. The RLM favoured the Me-262 as the new Luftwaffe front line fighter. Ernst Heinkel looked for ways to get the He-280 back into favour with the RLM.

In an attempt to make the He-280 more competitive, the double tail was replaced with a single tail. Heinkel basically copied a Me-262 tail unit onto the He-280. This resulted in the He-280B-1 which was powered by the Jumo 004 and armed with four MK-108 canon and 24 R4M rockets. The He-180B was on par with the Me-262 in performance and combat capability.

Hitler himself insisted that the Me-262 would be developed as a bomber. Also Messerschmitt suffered serious reputation problems caused by the Me-210 debacle and the RLM reconsidered and ordered the He-280 in production as a fighter. Choosing the He-280 as the new fighter offered the Luftwaffe a way around Hitler's  edict and enable them to get a real jet fighter into service.

The Messerschmitt Me-262 was developed further as a bomber, which lead to a rather disappointing aircraft. The He-280B went on to form the nucleus of the Luftwaffe fighter force for 1945 and 1946 until it was replaced by the Ta-183.

Model: 1/48 Eduard He-280. Tail from a Revell Me-262

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Whatever.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Hotte

Vulcan7

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Wardukw

Lovely stuff Tom 👌 👏 😊
I've got plans in the noggin for a 262 mashup  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .