1/35 Tamiya M4 Sherman 105 (W) "Finished"

Started by The Chaos, October 02, 2023, 03:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Chaos

Hello,
my latest project that I started some time ago.
The old Tamiya kit, with aluminum barrel, etched parts and new tracks,
as a 105 W version.

I got some literature this time too and according to the books there were probably previous training versions
which were basically modernized, so mine is supposed to represent a vehicle like that.

He turns olive green and is not supposed to belong to a specific unit. /had searched aftermarket decals but couldn't find anything suitable.

The first parts also fit together quite well, the Rey Field chain took a lot of work.

Old Wombat

Nice start! :thumbsup:

What are those RFM tracks like to work with? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

Nice work ! I'm guessing the tracks are lovely with how quick it appears to have come together
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jakko

One nitpick: with the small driver's hatches, it's not a W(et ammo stowage) tank :) As such, the 105 mm howitzer would not be historically correct either, as those were introduced in early 1944 and by then, all Sherman production was large-hatch only. T62 tracks would also be very unlikely on a tank in American service. But as this is a what-if, you're good to go, I'd say :) Oh, BTW, you have the right track on backwards, or is that intentional? It wouldn't be unheard-of IRL, though it would be rare.

(Sorry, I just got my copy of Son of Sherman second edition last week, even though I already had the original edition, so I've been reading up on Shermans—again—of late‍ ...)
... I know all this and more ...

The Chaos

The Chaos

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 02, 2023, 04:49:09 AMNice start! :thumbsup:

What are those RFM tracks like to work with? :unsure:
Thanks and the tracks have a lot of parts.

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 02, 2023, 04:56:19 AMNice work ! I'm guessing the tracks are lovely with how quick it appears to have come together

Thanks my friend.

Quote from: Jakko on October 03, 2023, 02:00:50 AMOne nitpick: with the small driver's hatches, it's not a W(et ammo stowage) tank :) As such, the 105 mm howitzer would not be historically correct either, as those were introduced in early 1944 and by then, all Sherman production was large-hatch only. T62 tracks would also be very unlikely on a tank in American service. But as this is a what-if, you're good to go, I'd say :) Oh, BTW, you have the right track on backwards, or is that intentional? It wouldn't be unheard-of IRL, though it would be rare.

(Sorry, I just got my copy of Son of Sherman second edition last week, even though I already had the original edition, so I've been reading up on Shermans—again—of late‍ ...)

Thanks and i have correct the tracks an i Build the first Prototyp, the are correct wir´th my buld.

Cratulation for the book, it is with 200 € to mutch for my.

Old Wombat

Quote from: The Chaos on October 03, 2023, 04:29:43 AM... the tracks have a lot of parts.

That, my friend, is obvious! ;D

I was wondering how difficult or easy those parts were to put together? ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Jakko

Quote from: The Chaos on October 03, 2023, 04:29:43 AMThanks and i have correct the tracks an i Build the first Prototyp, the are correct wir´th my buld.
The M4E5?

(source)

That'll work, more or less, with the parts you have :) Though you would really need a one-piece final drive housing (but not the sharp-nosed type) and T54E1 tracks.

The first prototype, though, was on an M4A4 hull, not an M4, and had a different gun shield. Also, that one didn't have T62 tracks but T54E2s — cut off the three rivets from each link and it'll be close enough ;)

Quote from: The Chaos on October 03, 2023, 04:29:43 AMCratulation for the book, it is with 200 € to mutch for my.
Thanks, I was debating whether to spend that much money on it but eventually decided: to hell with it, I will. The real problem with owning books like that is that you start paying attention to all the little details that you never would have before, like that the M4E5 prototype's hull was made in a different factory than the one represented in the Tamiya kit you use ... OK, I'll stop now :)

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Jakko on October 03, 2023, 10:25:39 AMThe real problem with owning books like that is that you start paying attention to all the little details that you never would have before,

All the things that, once you know, annoy you so much that you have to make additions and alterations to a model that's really gone past that stage of construction - and you spend a lot of time holding your breath and trying not to break things that are really too delicate to have wholesale manipulation going on around them... and more often than not, have to be repaired afterwards...  :banghead:

And yet, we still do these things more often than not!  ;D

Jakko

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 03, 2023, 09:19:26 PMAll the things that, once you know, annoy you so much that you have to make additions and alterations to a model that's really gone past that stage of construction
Luckily, I'm not that far gone yet :) If I discover it at a point when going back to correct it would mean a lot more work than it would have been had I found it in time, I tend to leave it as it is — unless it's clearly so very wrong that it would stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, I've been building the recent Gecko LCA kit of late ...

You cannot view this attachment.

That kit is moulded in grey plastic, not white :(

The Chaos

frank2056

The tracks look fantastic! You're doing a great job on the old Tamiya kit.

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on October 07, 2023, 09:20:17 AMThe tracks look fantastic! You're doing a great job on the old Tamiya kit.

They do indeed  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Chaos