1/35 Tamiya M4 Sherman 105 (W) "Finished"

Started by The Chaos, October 02, 2023, 03:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 22, 2023, 07:24:08 AMI'm always impressed by people who can take what is basically an overall single colour scheme and make it come alive  :bow:  :bow:

The thing that gets me with dedicated armour builders is how on earth do they paint things like the handels on the tools afterwards  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Wardukw

Quote from: Gondor on October 22, 2023, 02:03:50 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 22, 2023, 07:24:08 AMI'm always impressed by people who can take what is basically an overall single colour scheme and make it come alive  :bow:  :bow:

The thing that gets me with dedicated armour builders is how on earth do they paint things like the handels on the tools afterwards  :unsure:

Gondor
Very carefully Al  :thumbsup:
Sometimes swearing is involved  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Or you do what I do: Paint them separately & add them on later. :thumbsup:

This comes with its own risks but I know how to avoid most of them & fix those I can't. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: Wardukw on October 22, 2023, 07:30:49 PM

Gondor

Only sometimes?  :unsure:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

Quote from: Gondor on October 23, 2023, 04:48:07 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on October 22, 2023, 07:30:49 PM

Gondor

Only sometimes?  :unsure:

Gondor
Yeah only sometimes  ;D
Sometimes things go very well ..not often but hey ..enjoy the little things 😄

Jakko

Quote from: Gondor on October 22, 2023, 02:03:50 PMThe thing that gets me with dedicated armour builders is how on earth do they paint things like the handels on the tools afterwards  :unsure:
That's because most don't know that, especially on American vehicles, the tools were usually the same colour as the vehicle. From the factory, they were usually in plain wood and either painted or rust-proofed metal, and then simply dip-painted in a big vat to make them olive drab all over. Most modellers, though, go to a lot of trouble to make them look like wood and bare metal :)

Not sure about German tools, but I do know that when German tanks were camouflage-painted in the field, the crews usually didn't bother to remove the tools (and, in fact, removing them would have made the camouflage less effective).
... I know all this and more ...

zenrat

Quote from: Jakko on October 24, 2023, 01:51:35 AM
Quote from: Gondor on October 22, 2023, 02:03:50 PMThe thing that gets me with dedicated armour builders is how on earth do they paint things like the handels on the tools afterwards  :unsure:
That's because most don't know that, especially on American vehicles, the tools were usually the same colour as the vehicle. From the factory, they were usually in plain wood and either painted or rust-proofed metal, and then simply dip-painted in a big vat to make them olive drab all over. Most modellers, though, go to a lot of trouble to make them look like wood and bare metal :)

Not sure about German tools, but I do know that when German tanks were camouflage-painted in the field, the crews usually didn't bother to remove the tools (and, in fact, removing them would have made the camouflage less effective).

I know all that.  But i quite enjoy painting the tools.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

On the Berlin Brigade tanks they painted the tools to match the colour patch over which they lay!  :o

THAT'S dedication for you!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2023, 05:20:03 AMOn the Berlin Brigade tanks they painted the tools to match the colour patch over which they lay!  :o

THAT'S dedication for you!

Or your typical Squaddie thinking... "Less work if we leave them there and 'splain it to the Sarge as 'Keeping to the camouflage scheme'..."  ;D

Jakko

Quote from: zenrat on October 24, 2023, 04:17:46 AMI know all that.
Most modellers don't seem to know it, though :)

Quote from: zenrat on October 24, 2023, 04:17:46 AMi quite enjoy painting the tools.
Heh, discovering that American tools were usually OD was a great thing for me, as it meant I didn't need to bother carefully painting them as wood and metal anymore, and so could avoid the risk of getting any of that paint on the rest of the model :) Of course, I then started doing this to them:

You cannot view this attachment.

Rick Lowe

Oh, nice effect.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, we modellers find a simple way to do something and then have to complicate it to make more work for ourselves... or as a 'look how clever I am!' thing. And yes, I'm often guilty of that...

Jakko

zenrat

As someone with experience in using the sort of tools we are talking about i'd rather not have the handles badly painted.  last thing you need when swinging an axe at vampires trees or digging a grave trench is paint flaking off under your grip.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..