Main Menu

Ju 588

Started by PR19_Kit, October 03, 2023, 05:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2023, 08:00:14 AMHe's been missing a while then.................

Here's my scheme for the extended fuselage of the Ju 588. I tried a few lengths, and some looked silly and some weren't long enough, but this one's just under a 2" extension, 1/3 forward of the wing and 2/3 aft.

Do the proportions look OK to you lot?
Kit that profile looks just right.
The proportions are very well balanced which is important in keeping with the overall look of the Ju88 family.  ;D 
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

63cpe

Fully agree with Wardukw. porportions look good and well balanced.

Meanwhile ordered me an Anigrand Arado E340 to copy the Jumo 222 nacelles.

David aka 63CPE

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Wardukw on October 04, 2023, 10:26:27 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2023, 08:00:14 AMHe's been missing a while then.................

Here's my scheme for the extended fuselage of the Ju 588. I tried a few lengths, and some looked silly and some weren't long enough, but this one's just under a 2" extension, 1/3 forward of the wing and 2/3 aft.

Do the proportions look OK to you lot?
Kit that profile looks just right.
The proportions are very well balanced which is important in keeping with the overall look of the Ju88 family.  ;D 

The Ju 288 is really the ginger haired stepchild, as there is nothing in it from the 88 family proper. 88, 188 and 388 all shared the same basic airframe barring some cosmetic alterations, whilst the 488 in it's original V-401 version used a great deal of Ju 188 and 388 airframe bits, just doubled up, plus the twin fin of the 288.

288 was a completely fresh design.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 04, 2023, 01:33:21 PM288 was a completely fresh design.

That's why I've always liked it, I never was a fan of the original Ju-88, even though I've done maybe 3-4 of them, mostly for BoB displays of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've been  measuring and sawing and doing a bit of building for the 588, and here's the tail end. complete with guns in various places.

The HUMA kit's designed so all the turrets can rotate and elevate etc. but you'll be lucky having them actually do that if you use Revell Contacta glue, which I do, as it gets everywhere via capillary action! So the guns on the 588 are fixed!

That tail section is sawn at the correct position for the drawing I did above, and I've also sawn off the nose in a similar position, but any further work will require me to do a bit of cutting and shutting on the bomb bay, and I've not decided how long I want that to be yet
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

You probably want the bomb bay to be at least one torpedo length with a bit of wiggle room left over. Well you know what the RLM was like comming up with daft ideas for what aircraft were expected to do so internal stowage of a couple of Torpedoes to reduce drag from carrying them externally makes sense.  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

It'd be able to carry a torp as it is  now Alastair. They have the bomb bay roof and end bulkheads supplied as part of the kit, together with two hefty bombs as well, but as the bay doors are moulded closed you can't see ANY of it!  :banghead:

So I've sawn off the doors, and I'll lengthen the bay parts a small amount but not as much as I plan to extend the entire fuselage. I don't know enough about Luftwaffe bombs to figure out which ones to pick for an 'Amerika Bomber' bomb load yet, but I'll investigate............

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I've got the Midland Counties book on the type somewhere, plus the Monogram Close Up, so I'll look up the planned bomb load.  Don't think you'd have anything bigger than an SC1000.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The two bombs in the kit, which hang nose to tail in the bomb bay, are 50 mm long each.

As far as I've been able to work out that makes them 1800 kg 'Satans', but I've no idea what SC number they are. Does that make sense?

Regards
Kit

Rheged

SC, according to Wiki, means:-   The SC 1000 (Sprengbombe Cylindrisch 1000) or cylindrical explosive bomb was a large air-dropped general-purpose thin-cased high explosive demolition bomb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC1000_bomb

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Can you have a NON-Explosive bomb?  :-\

Thanks for that, all makes sense now. The Sc1000 is quite a bit smaller than ones in the HUMA Ju 288 kit.

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I am looking forward to seeing this done Kit, as I have developed a liking for Luft 46 type stuff. I have bought another Veb TU -95, to cut up and scalerama into a 1/72nd scale captured  Focke wulf "Amerika bomber".
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

Oh, a Ju 288 with Tu-95 wings...?

BTW @Kit: your parcel is ready and things are looking good; I hope that I get it on the way to you on Monday.  :police:

killnoizer

The Tu 95 is a dream build , got one as a child , self  imported from a trip to east Germany  .
The scale is around 1:100 or 1:150 i think ?  But I don't like the big radar nose of the VEB/plasticart version .

Prices for that are growing high here (  I live near the former iron curtain , and people from the former dark side are sometimes a bit strange . ). 

:wub: 
It's a Land Rover, NOT a Jeep . Like a Jeep, but for gentlemen.

https://www.spacejunks.com/

PR19_Kit

Yeah, VEB stuff was mostly 1/100 scale. I've got quite a number or their airliners, including a Tu-114 half converted to a Moss AEW aircraft.

Regards
Kit