Hades point defence interceptor

Started by chrisonord, October 06, 2023, 11:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

What if the UK and France had a joint project to guard against Soviet bombers during the 1950's? Here is my RAF point defence interceptor, Hades. The part manned missile, part aircraft is a portable rapid response single use, although parachutes were in development for the recovery of the airframe, but it was thought they would, in reality be a one way trip. The aircraft takes off vertically after being unloaded onto suitable hard standing, and would fly up and above the bomber formation, the perform a shallow dive towards the bombers and release the nuclear armed unguided rocket. The rocket had to be fired precisely as the warhead was on a timer. The pilot would then after firing, pull a high G turn away from the bomber formation, and retreat at full speed away to avoid the detonation, then get the aircraft as near to a friendly country as possible, then jettison the cockpit/ nose of the aircraft, and deploy a parachute. The pilot could then jump from the cockpit, and deploy his own parachute. Depicted in the picture is the vehicles used for transportation and deployment, these were completely mobile units and moved around all along the north, and east coasts of Scotland and England. The transporter for Hades was a modified ex army surplus Scammel tank transporter, with revised gearboxes so as to give them better road speed, the carrier dolly was operates by cables and winches, so as not to rely on electrical machinery. The warhead was carried in the Bedford truck and guarded by 8 RAF regiment soldiers, and the landrover carried the pilot, and another 4 RAF regiment soldiers. The Hades systems were moved around at night, and kept in secret locations, where there was no military bases to use, and each destination was sent via coded message. The date was circa 1954.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Oh VERY ingenious Chris!  :thumbsup:

I like the way it has roundels on ALL the engines.  ;D

Good to see you back building too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2023, 11:39:01 AMOh VERY ingenious Chris!  :thumbsup:

I like the way it has roundels on ALL the engines.  ;D

Good to see you back building too.
Thankyou Kit
This has taken 11 months to build and finish, to say a lot has been happening, and not all good is an understatement.
The launcher sort of works too, the Hades/Deva is clamped to it and it rolls along the rails on the trailer, then it can tilt and put the Hades on its legs on the ground. I have a couple of other builds that I need to add too.

Old Wombat

We've got ourselves a Convoy! ;D

Nice! The story is just insane enough to be believable for the period. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

Cheers O.W, I am just wondering now whether it should go in the armour section, or just the current builds thread :-\  as its more vehicles that aircraft.

Old Wombat

But it's all centred around the aircraft!

The aircraft's the "Thing", the rest is just support services. :thumbsup:

chrisonord

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 07, 2023, 02:11:36 AMBut it's all centred around the aircraft!

The aircraft's the "Thing", the rest is just support services. :thumbsup:
Cheers O.W, yep, I will have that one too.

chrisonord

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2023, 03:11:56 AMCool combo.  :thumbsup:
Thankyou, it very nearly got put in its box never to see light of day several times, as I couldn't put my vision into plastic as it were, but now after nearly a year, it is no longer cluttering my work station. There's just a BV.155 and a Martin Mauler doing that. :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Quote from: chrisonord on October 07, 2023, 03:28:12 AM... after nearly a year, it is no longer cluttering my work station. There's just a BV.155 and a Martin Mauler doing that. :rolleyes:

Is that all? :blink:  ;D  ;D  ;D [rotflmao] ;D  ;D  ;D

chrisonord

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 07, 2023, 04:14:45 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on October 07, 2023, 03:28:12 AM... after nearly a year, it is no longer cluttering my work station. There's just a BV.155 and a Martin Mauler doing that. :rolleyes:

Is that all? :blink:  ;D  ;D  ;D [rotflmao] ;D  ;D  ;D
;D  ;D
I don't have a lot of room to work with unfortunately, and I am not best at putting paints and empty boxes etc away either, so that kind of makes up for it.

PR19_Kit

Putting them away?  :o  :o  :o

I NEVER do that, all you'd have to do is take them back out again soon, so why bother?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Glad to see you back at the bench Chris  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 07, 2023, 05:53:34 AMGlad to see you back at the bench Chris  :thumbsup:
thankyou Chris, hope you are well my friend.

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!