CF-86D Finished

Started by The Rat, October 08, 2023, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Going head-to-head with Avro Canada, North American Aviation offered the Royal Canadian Air Force an F-86D company demonstrator for their test and evaluation, attempting to sway them from the CF-100. While pilots were impressed the handling and speed, they expressed concerns about the single-engined reliablity of such an aircraft, and testing proved the superior effectiveness of the Canuck's powerful radar system, combined with a second operator. After being in the hands of the RCAF for a few months, the airframe was retired to NAA with a 'Thanks but no thanks', and with a few bottles of rye as an added extra.

Airfix F-86D, an older model but still a good build in my opinion. Easy enough for a beginner, with sufficient detail to please someone with growing skills. The only part missing from the kit was the fuel dump pipe, which was replaced with sprue. No point bothering Airfix for a tiny part like that.

Decals were home-printed, far from great, but way better than previous efforts. Still some silvering despite applications of Micro Sol, and being applied over a glossy surface. Matt finish is Revell from a rattle-can.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

A 'D' looks really good in camo!  :thumbsup:

And with maple leaves as well, what's not to like?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

Looks great in that scheme Davey ! Nice one.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

The Wooksta!

I did an RAF one in a similar scheme a long time back.  If I remember, I'll bring it to Telford so OGL can have it for the reserve collection.
Means some space in the cabinet.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic