RAAF SAAB AJ37 Viggen

Started by Wardukw, October 13, 2023, 03:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw on December 02, 2023, 12:25:06 AMThat second to last sentence is what Kit loves to read mate 👍

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Beermonster58

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 02, 2023, 01:30:46 AMPhoto's? There ain't nuthin' without Photo's! :wacko:
Photos to follow i d c. Don't worry mate! :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Beermonster58

Guy wants pics mate even before you build it ..patience my arse ..I sant pics too  :wacko:
I'm liking the spare bits idea for the twin...why the hell not ..if it's gonna be bigger and badder then a back seater is a good idea and it will make this stand out even more .
[/quote]

Don't worry. I'll be starting the preliminary work shortly. Photos will follow :thumbsup:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Pellson

How're ya doin with this, mate? I'm pretty curious..

On topic, while reading up a bit on the evolution of Swedish fighters, I came across a more or less true story (in Swedish, unfortunately) that the RAAF actually did have a good look at the Viggen back in the very early 1970's. Looking, as we know, for a Canberra replacement, the Swedish use of a big turbofan engine rather than a turbojet, mainly for fuel consumption reasons, got the Aussies attention, because, as we know, it's a big country.

As far as the story goes, the initial studies went so well that the RAAF brass recommended further negotiations to take place to see if minor modifications to the original design (minor stretch, more than one "wet" pylon) could improve the range somewhat without losing too much weapon's capacity, but before that got anywhere, a change in parliamentary majority in Canberra put an end to the entire story.

Personally, I think there are a few holes in this story making it somewhat beyond believable, but it's certainly good enough to wrap a whif backstory around.
So there you go!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Wardukw

Quote from: Pellson on January 11, 2024, 06:33:04 AMHow're ya doin with this, mate? I'm pretty curious..

On topic, while reading up a bit on the evolution of Swedish fighters, I came across a more or less true story (in Swedish, unfortunately) that the RAAF actually did have a good look at the Viggen back in the very early 1970's. Looking, as we know, for a Canberra replacement, the Swedish use of a big turbofan engine rather than a turbojet, mainly for fuel consumption reasons, got the Aussies attention, because, as we know, it's a big country.

As far as the story goes, the initial studies went so well that the RAAF brass recommended further negotiations to take place to see if minor modifications to the original design (minor stretch, more than one "wet" pylon) could improve the range somewhat without losing too much weapon's capacity, but before that got anywhere, a change in parliamentary majority in Canberra put an end to the entire story.

Personally, I think there are a few holes in this story making it somewhat beyond believable, but it's certainly good enough to wrap a whif backstory around.
So there you go!  :thumbsup:
Well there ya go then Pellson mate 👍 😉
A trueish wiff 😆
As why the Aussies didn't take it..you know if has anything to do with a government you know there was something shadey going on for certain .
Their like children when it comes to being petty against each other..same old story ..but screw them my Viggen is far more important 😆 🤣

I am still slowly working on this mate ..it's got decals on it and I'm getting close to starting to pin wash it and detail paint it 🙂
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Not only petty against each other... I will leave that there, as it's getting too close to a Rant and Chris' Book... :angry:

Pics, Phill - we need pics! :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 11, 2024, 10:16:28 AMNot only petty against each other... I will leave that there, as it's getting too close to a Rant and Chris' Book... :angry:

Pics, Phill - we need pics! :thumbsup:

Yep keeping out of Chris's book is a very good idea  ;D
Apart from the decals not much has changed on this but ill try to get some pics up..ive gotta post some update pics on the Harrier anyway..two birds ,one shotgun ..or something like that  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

More than one, if you time it right...  ;D  :o

zenrat

I think it is true about Viggen being considered for RAAF use.  I've read it somewhere but can't remember where.

<has a quick google>

Yertiz - on the FA-18 in RAAF Service WIkipaedia page.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F/A-18_Hornet_in_Australian_service#Selection
Viggen considered at one point as replacement for Mirage iiii.  Along with F-15, YF-17, and Mirage F1.
Later on F-16, F-18, Mirage 2000, and Tornado considered.

Now i've built RAAF F-15 and Mirage F1 but never even considered a Tonka.  I'll have to look into getting one.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

If you build the Tornado see about extending the fuselage behind the cockpit for more fuel. Australia is a big place!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on January 12, 2024, 08:12:47 AMIf you build the Tornado see about extending the fuselage behind the cockpit for more fuel. Australia is a big place!

I'm doing that (slowly.............) on my F6 for the same reason, getting out there before Putin's mob get closer.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

PICS!!! you wanted pics !!?? ..ok .all good ,,heres some to keep ya all interested  ;D  ;D
DSCF4499 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4503 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4504 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Ive still got to do a wee bit of cleaning up the decals but thats all good ..ill do that when the detail painting starts . :thumbsup: 

kerick

That's looking so good! WIHTOT!
(Wish I had thought of that)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"