RAAF SAAB AJ37 Viggen

Started by Wardukw, October 13, 2023, 03:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2023, 02:24:37 PMSome one does a masking set for the SwAF 'Fields and Meadows' schemes, but I don't know if it's available for 1/48 as well.
Wouldn't surprise me Kit if there's not but that would make life much easier.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

When I painted this...

nattfjÀril 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

...I primed it, drew the pattern in pencil, labelled each block, and then brush painted the splinters - like a paint by numbers, no masking needed.  Took some concentration but it'd be easier in 1/48 as its bigger.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

What I do is just free hand the design..basically what looks simple but effective and similarish.
So far all seems to be going well..I hope .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Camo Black; Camo Green; Camo Brown; Pilbara Brown

If you aren't using a specific AusCam set then a slightly reddish Dark Earth should do for the Pilbara.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I used them on this.  No masking, sprayed freehand.

AAVA-7A1 - 10 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

I used the first 3 (also free-hand) on the Landy;

Pre-weathering                                                                                                                                            Post-weathering

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

I'm gonna use Tamiya XF-52 flat earth  as the 4th colour.
The good thing is not much of it is used compared to the other 3.
Should look OK..your guys eyes will see it better than me  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

By the way guys..all those builds look amazing  ;D

Wardukw

Well she's painted lads ...waiting  for the underside to be bone dry and then I can unmask it..ive already unmarked a small bit and it don't look to bad at the mo...I'll be very interested in your guys opinions. 😉
Everything goes well pics will follow later today.

Wardukw

Pics will be up tomorrow guys ..I  took 2 pics and then the batteries crapped out in my camera .
I'll get more tomorrow..take more pics and then it will stay on long enough so I can upload them to my computer.

First impressions from me..it's looking quite cool 😎

Beermonster58

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 21, 2023, 02:24:37 PMSome one does a masking set for the SwAF 'Fields and Meadows' schemes, but I don't know if it's available for 1/48 as well.

Special Hobby produce a set of 1/72 masks and, a company called D N Models produces a 1/48 set
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

zenrat

Fred

Wardukw

Well i got new batteries for my camera lads so here ya go  ,,,an Aussie Viggen .
DSCF4406 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4407 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4408 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4409 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Next will be pics of the cockpit and pretty much everything else...which i havent done much with to be honest  ;D

Beermonster58

That's how it SHOULD look! :thumbsup: .
As a principle, I don't do boring, grey jets. I always look on a boring, grey finish as a challenge to overcome.  I might use larger ,individual coloured areas to ease masking a bit or, maybe solid coloured decal sheet.  However, as I'm going to build three Viggens in three separate roles with schemes to match, I might just end up using the Special Hobby 1/72 masks. Nice to see you've installed the inboard wing pylons aft of the wheels. These were very rarely seen .
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Wardukw

Mate when you first told me of those within 10 minutes I was looking for some rail  ;D
Open door bud... quite happy to step thru 😊😊