RAAF SAAB AJ37 Viggen

Started by Wardukw, October 13, 2023, 03:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Right now I'm going to bite the bullet and get into this build ..now ive got all the bits for it .
The kit is the ESCI AJ37 Viggen and great isn't a word id really use but it was super cheap cause it had no plans ..but thanks to you lads and scalemates that's sorted.
I got both the ESCI and Italeri plans as their basically the same model so they both work.
First thing to change is the cockpit..it's terrible so thanks to a Wolfpack F-8E Crusader resin cockpit that's going to change..it fits rather well but will still some work.

Weapons will be rocket pods and bombs ..im thinking 4 pods and at least 8 bombs..probably MK82s or bigger .
The weapons load can be up to 6000kgs so I've got plenty of room to play here  :wacko:

Many thanks to my secret decal maker for the Aussie markings ..this probably wouldn't have happened without those 😊

Pics to follow soon soonish chaps  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

KiwiZac

I like this idea and am super keen to see more - I've been contemplating an RNZAF Gripen for a while, don't you go making me want one of these to Kiwify too!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Wardukw

Well now you mention it mate I now fully intend to do exactly that 👍 😁
And welcome back to matey  ;D

A very early update..it's basically built ..a bit of PSRing was required as this is a MPOS of a model but it's lines are quite nice 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

KiwiZac

Quote from: Wardukw on October 14, 2023, 12:35:22 AMWell now you mention it mate I now fully intend to do exactly that 👍 😁
Well you son of a

Quote from: Wardukw on October 14, 2023, 12:35:22 AMAnd welcome back to matey  ;D
Why thank you!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kerick

Yes, welcome back to KiwiZac!  :thumbsup:
We need some pics of this Viggen or it didn't happen!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on October 14, 2023, 09:57:07 PMYes, welcome back to KiwiZac!  :thumbsup:
We need some pics of this Viggen or it didn't happen!
Oh you'll get ya feckin pictures matey boy  :wacko:

It's coming along quite nicely at the mo...im just sorting out the weapons load out for this and this is what I've come up with .
10 x Mk82 iron bombs
4 x Mantra rocket pods
1 x drop tank

That I think will ruin somebody's day  ;D
One thing I've still got to sort out is what colour the underside of this thing is..I have the AUSCAM but I didn't think of the underside  :banghead:

Old Wombat

What paints are you using, mate? SMS Paints do Insignia White, which was the underside colour of the RAAF Mirage IIIO's, or there's RAAF Sky Grey, a WW2 colour that would do;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Guy matey I'll be using the Sky Gray as I hate white.
Sucks painting it but I'm good with gray .
Paint brand will be either Ammo..Tamiya or Vallejo..as I've got those brands but ill bet ya good money I don't have sky gray  ;D

Beermonster58

Like the sound of this. I also have plans but, instead, my Viggens (I have three) will all be operated by the Air Force of the Independent Scottish Republic.  ;D I'm using the old Airfix kits. I know they only really represent the prototype but, they'll look good enough for me with a little bit of tweaking. The Viggen actually had NINE hardpoints, not the seven provided for in the kit you're using. The other two were located aft of the main undercarriage albeit rarely used.
I'm doing Air to Air, Air to ground and, Maritime strike versions. I'm also having two of the wing pylons plumbed for  external tanks! ;D  Only one colour sceme is possible!. Namely the "haggis and heather" scheme!  Still to work that out yet but, it'll be based on the Swedish "fields and meadows"scheme! :lol:
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw on October 15, 2023, 01:55:17 AMGuy matey I'll be using the Sky Gray as I hate white.
Paint brand will be either Ammo..Tamiya or Vallejo..as I've got those brands but ill bet ya good money I don't have sky gray  ;D

You probably know this better than me but some XF-19 sky gray with a few drops of XF-2 flat white will do the trick.  ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Monster mate I'm a liking your thinking ..that paint job would look very cool I reckon. 😎

I thought there were more hard points on this thing but the pics I looked at didn't show  any ..just seemed strange there is all this space behind the landing gear and nothing was being done with it .
Wonder if a couple of missiles would fit in there 🤔 😉

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw on October 15, 2023, 01:55:17 AMGuy matey I'll be using the Sky Gray as I hate white.

Where is it operating?
With Auscam being designed to blend into the 'strayan bush i think i'd want, for the underside, to use something designed to blend into the 'strayan sky.  RAF Azure would be my choice.

PDRV Republican Guard border camo scheme uses Vallejo Andrea Blue for the undersides.
PDRV Republican Guard MiG 29 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Rui mate I did not know that 😊
But here's the kicker I'm 3/4 colour blind so even if I added a touch of white I wouldn't notice the difference so straight XF-19 will do nicely  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on October 15, 2023, 02:33:45 AM

Where is it operating?
With Auscam being designed to blend into the 'strayan bush i think i'd want, for the underside, to use something designed to blend into the 'strayan sky.  RAF Azure would be my choice.

PDRV Republican Guard border camo scheme uses Vallejo Andrea Blue for the undersides.
PDRV Republican Guard MiG 29 4 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred I think Ammo does a blue like that and it would make sense to paint like that for a bird based in Oz for sure . :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Whatever works for you, works for me too, mate! Now go and get it done...  ;D  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"