RAAF SAAB AJ37 Viggen

Started by Wardukw, October 13, 2023, 03:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on November 28, 2023, 08:20:51 PMLooking good. Truly impressive. Since I work in 1/72 most of the time cockpits are veeerrry difficult.
Quote from: kerick on November 28, 2023, 08:20:51 PMLooking good. Truly impressive. Since I work in 1/72 most of the time cockpits are veeerrry difficult.
Thanks mate 🙂
Trust me mate for me painting a 48th cockpit is no easy task so painting 72nd would be a freckin nightmare   ;D

Thomas ...Guy..thanks Gentlemen  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

Wow great detail Phill & that splinter camo  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Wardukw

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

chrisonord

Looking very fetching if I do say so myself :wub:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Beermonster58

Been following this discussion and, I have finally started work on my SAAB AJ-37 Tairneanach (Thunderbolt) operated by the Air Force of the Scottish Independent Republic.. I was going to use the Airfix kit but, since I managed to grab four of the 1978 Heller 1/72 kits at a low price, I'm going to use the Airfix kits for other projects. The Heller kit now includes a 30mm Oerlikon KCA cannon and, four Sidewinder missiles. It also still has parts for the SK-37 and, SF-37 Viggen.
First off the production line will be a maritime strike variant because I want to use those big, mean looking RB-04 missiles that come with the Airfix kit! For the purpose of this project, they will have wings plumbed for extra fuel tanks. Gives me an excuse to use the RPK-10 fuel tank/bomb carriers I got as extras with a second hand pair of Mirage III kits on a second AJ-37.

Before anybody asks, they will ALL be wearing splinter camouflage. I don't do boring grey jets! Photos to follow in due course. Strangely enough, test fittings for both kits show that the older (1967) Airfix kit is a much better fit overall. Not that it really matters though.
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

Wardukw

Thanks guys  ;D  ;D ...getting closer to the home stretch now 😊

Monster mate I'm seriously looking forward to this 👌

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on November 30, 2023, 08:55:21 AMThanks guys  ;D  ;D ...getting closer to the home stretch now 😊

I was quite happy to use the Airfix kits but, the Heller,kit with its optional parts gives a bit more flexibility (as well as being an actual production version)
The one I'm building now will be armed with 2 x  RB-04 & 2 x Rb-05 missiles.
I'll have five  Viggens eventually! 😂.

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on November 30, 2023, 10:33:19 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on November 30, 2023, 08:55:21 AMThanks guys  ;D  ;D ...getting closer to the home stretch now 😊

I was quite happy to use the Airfix kits but, the Heller,kit with its optional parts gives a bit more flexibility (as well as being an actual production version)

Mate if I had the chance to score another 48th Viggen I'd take it in a heart beat.
Annoyingly the one I got was the first one I've ever seen on our auction site trademe..the likelihood of seeing another?? ..not holding my breath.

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on November 30, 2023, 07:52:50 PM

Mate if I had the chance to score another 48th Viggen I'd take it in a heart beat.
Annoyingly the one I got was the first one I've ever seen on our auction site trademe..the likelihood of seeing another?? ..not holding my breath.
I only work in 1/72 largely due to cost and space reasons. Makes it easier to build multiples. I know there are more recent Special Hobby kits available in 1/72 and, 1/48 but, the price of the latter especially is more than I am willing to pay. Also, you don't get anything to hang underneath them and, I'm not prepared to fork out even more for a set of things that go bang!! I've encountered a slight problem in that if I fit the Rb-04 missiles, they'll get in the way of the Sidewinders I was going to hang on the outer pylons!! My bad as , I really should have checked fit etc first. I've decided to move the outboard pylons a wee bit. Where there's a whif, there's a way! ;D .Still have to sort out the national insignia but, I figure either the two tone blue or, blue/white RAF SEAC markings will do nicely.

There is a Facebook page for second hand models. I've gotten several OOP and hard to find kits that way. I'm going to use at least one of the Airfix kits for a sort of "super Viggen. With stretched fuselage to accomodate internal fuel. Also, as one of our esteemed colleagues is fond of saying :"Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings", I've decided to increase the wingspan. I can put an extension in where the control surfaces separate.

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on December 01, 2023, 01:37:00 AM

I only work in 1/72 largely due to cost and space reasons. Makes it easier to build multiples. I know there are more recent Special Hobby kits available in 1/72 and, 1/48 but, the price of the latter especially is more than I am willing to pay. Also, you don't get anything to hang underneath them and, I'm not prepared to fork out even more for a set of things that go bang!! I've encountered a slight problem in that if I fit the Rb-04 missiles, they'll get in the way of the Sidewinders I was going to hang on the outer pylons!! My bad as , I really should have checked fit etc first. I've decided to move the outboard pylons a wee bit. Where there's a whif, there's a way! ;D .Still have to sort out the national insignia but, I figure either the two tone blue or, blue/white RAF SEAC markings will do nicely.

There is a Facebook page for second hand models. I've gotten several OOP and hard to find kits that way. I'm going to use at least one of the Airfix kits for a sort of "super Viggen. With stretched fuselage to accomodate internal fuel. Also, as one of our esteemed colleagues is fond of saying :"Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings", I've decided to increase the wingspan. I can put an extension in where the control surfaces separate.

That second to last sentence is what Kit loves to read mate 👍

This super Viggen is gonna be bitchen bud ...it's like a super twin seater with a much more powerful purpose which is always a good thing .
Makes for a much more interesting subject for the builder and those looking at it.
As for the scale thing its a simple one for me to answer...im not that good at building planes and the smaller they is the harder it is for me to build em and yep space is a issue 😀
But hey what can ya do when thanks to the lads on here you get the itch to build planes again 😄

Beermonster58

Quote from: Wardukw on December 02, 2023, 12:25:06 AM

This super Viggen is gonna be bitchen bud ...it's like a super twin seater with a much more powerful purpose which is always a good thing .
Makes for a much more interesting subject for the builder and those looking at it.
As for the scale thing its a simple one for me to answer...im not that good at building planes and the smaller they is the harder it is for me to build em and yep space is a issue 😀
But hey what can ya do when thanks to the lads on here you get the itch to build planes again 😄
I'm thinking of keeping it a single seater but, I suppose I could use the left over parts from the SK-37 to produce a twin seater? Easiest place to fit the fuselage extension would be just behind the foreplanes.  The fuselage shape is quite simple there with no complex curves to bother about.

Old Wombat

Photo's? There ain't nuthin' without Photo's! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Since I don't get xmas gifts I discovered something on trademe I'm gonna get myself lads ...a 1/48th Italeri SAAB Viggen  ;D  ;D  ;D
Seems one of my LHS's has new shock in and yeah its $70 notes but I did say ..if I find another..im getting it .

Wardukw

Quote from: Beermonster58 on December 02, 2023, 12:58:13 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on December 02, 2023, 12:25:06 AM

I'm thinking of keeping it a single seater but, I suppose I could use the left over parts from the SK-37 to produce a twin seater? Easiest place to fit the fuselage extension would be just behind the foreplanes.  The fuselage shape is quite simple there with no complex curves to bother about.

Guy wants pics mate even before you build it ..patience my arse ..I sant pics too  :wacko:
I'm liking the spare bits idea for the twin...why the hell not ..if it's gonna be bigger and badder then a back seater is a good idea and it will make this stand out even more .