Viggen + F-104G

Started by kerick, October 17, 2023, 11:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I figured I should start a new thread since this appears to be turning into a build project instead of just and idea.
Pulled out the Viggen I built way back when. Then I dropped it...... Busted off the landing gear and weapons. It could have been worse. I recovered all the parts except one rear wheel. I got out the Heller F-104G kit that has been in the stash since forever. It has a two seat option that might work. I cut the Viggen behind the intakes and checked the fit between the two. I might be able to use modified Viggen intakes. A little gluing, a little putty, a little sanding and a plausible paint scheme!

The Viggen parts are in the stripper bath. Yeah, go ahead and giggle.  :rolleyes:  He's a couple of pics of it taped together.

The wings look a little too far to the rear but changing that would be lots more work. Overall looks pretty good. I'm trying to use only the two seater parts from the Heller kit so I can build the single seater some day. I'm looking at replacing the Viggen tail fin with a new one in the shape of a taller F-104G tail. Hmmm, more work.

New name? Viggenfighter, Starviggen, Viggenstar, Stargen???
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Imteresting, but a liiiitle long, isn't it?  :o 

Even with a cut directly behind the canopy I'd guess that the combo is quite super-sized?  :unsure:

Old Wombat

I'm not rewriting wht I wrote elsewhere but "banananana"! ;)  ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I'm getting Supermarionation vibes.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Hmm, possibly 2 sets of forward canards, just to help it let go of the ground at the front.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kerick

The camera angle doesn't help but yeah it is long in the front. Trimming will be required and some repositioning of the wings.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 18, 2023, 02:46:15 AMI'm getting Supermarionation vibes.   :thumbsup:

I thought it was just me  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 18, 2023, 06:16:10 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 18, 2023, 02:46:15 AMI'm getting Supermarionation vibes.   :thumbsup:

I'll have to paint it in a bright color and put big numbers on it!
Tophe the Wise

comrade harps

Quote from: kerick on October 18, 2023, 06:44:38 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 18, 2023, 06:16:10 AM

I'll have to paint it in a bright color and put big numbers on it!

My 1st thought on seeing the pics was: a bit Gerry Anderson there.

I do want to see this finished.
Whatever.

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on October 18, 2023, 04:10:32 AMThe camera angle doesn't help but yeah it is long in the front. Trimming will be required and some repositioning of the wings.
I actually think that cutting just behind the canopy will do the trick without any wing shifting. Then you'll have to choose between F-104 T-tail and canards - both will look strange - and move from there. That said, another, perhaps taller tail - why not? It's certainly got more keel area up front than the Viggen, so it will like a bigger tail. Perhaps a large clean delta fin, like on the F-102?

Following this with good interest!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

perttime

Quote from: Pellson on October 19, 2023, 04:45:43 AM
Quote from: kerick on October 18, 2023, 04:10:32 AMThe camera angle doesn't help but yeah it is long in the front. Trimming will be required and some repositioning of the wings.
I actually think that cutting just behind the canopy will do the trick without any wing shifting. Then you'll have to choose between F-104 T-tail and canards - both will look strange - and move from there. That said, another, perhaps taller tail - why not? It's certainly got more keel area up front than the Viggen, so it will like a bigger tail. Perhaps a large clean delta fin, like on the F-102?

Following this with good interest!  :thumbsup:
If forward fuselage is made shorter, the wing might not need repositioning, as long as there's pretty substantial canards (or something).

Is there any not-too-complicated way to enlarge/extend the Viggen fin in some direction?

McColm

Interesting, I might have a go at building this  :thumbsup:

kerick

I'm going to definitely trim the TF-104 parts to shorten it and see how that works. I'm also going to use the Viggen canards which will make a difference. If I feel the need to reposition the wings I will probably add some length to the exhaust can rather than try to cut the wings off and reattach them. The Viggen wing to fuselage junction is more complicated than it looks. I'm also considering a slightly enlarged F-104 fin. If I add to the exhaust can I will have to move the fin anyway. Easier than moving the wings. There may be some redesign of the intakes to make them F-104 style but a little larger.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I'm finished with the stripper.  :o  :rolleyes:

I should just go out and get a new kit whenever I try this. It took three sprays with Easy Off (an oxymoron if there ever was one) to get most of the old paint off. Good old 30 plus year old Testors! The only good part here is it appears I did a little whiffing back in the day when I first built this. I don't remember what the pink stuff was but it stuck on stronger than the paint! It looks like I was converting the ground pounder version of the Viggen to the interceptor version. I had added Sparrow/Skyflash, Sidewinders and a gun. I'll definitely keep the gun. I'm thinking of squaring off the exhaust, adding a cm or so and then moving the tail all the way back like the F-104G. I wonder how hard it would be to build a spine like the late model F-16. It's basically just a rounded off box with a little taper on the ends.

It would look very different with an F-104G tail rather than an F-16D.
This is why there is no quick whiff build!!!!!
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on October 19, 2023, 06:31:06 PMI'm finished with the stripper.  :o  :rolleyes:

Have you told her ?  ;)  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.