Viggen + F-104G

Started by kerick, October 17, 2023, 11:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

So the masking is done. Now I just have to clear some time for painting. Easier said than done. :rolleyes:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I managed to squirt some paint on this one tonight. The painting went fine except I knocked over the little bottle of thinner twice.
I painted the canopy frame black to match the inside.

Then some Testors light blue darkened with three drops of sea blue.

I bought some fresh silly putty so we'll see what happens tomorrow.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

Thanks everyone!
I may get to apply the silly putty masking tonight. My airbrush was acting up last night so I cleaned it completely today. I hope it behaves itself.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

This is looking great Ken 👍
Now mine RAAF Viggen is done and I post pics of the thing you'll have some more inspiration  😆
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I managed to apply some more paint on this one. I think it turned out pretty good. At least no organic chemistry nightmares this time. I went back to old school Testers enamels and thinned it half and half with lacquer thinner. Same method I've used for decades and it worked just fine. I turned up the pressure on the airbrush a bit and the flow was much better too. Some fresh Silly Putty provided the masking which went well after I got the hang of the pattern I wanted to use. JASDF decals are next then I'll add the landing gear and check the ground clearance. The JASDF had some interesting looking anti ship missiles that would go with this maritime camo scheme.

I think the light blue came in a little too light and bright. Also, the computer seems to be adjusting the color because of the reddish background. I'll use some other background for the decal pics.
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

I like your scheme design.   :thumbsup:

I think you might be right about phone camera adjusting.  Is your hand that pink?
Compare the red mats in the pics.  Look how the vibrancy of the red changes.

Is that black or chocolate brown?  (Either would work for me)

I have some large (A2) sheets of coloured card for use as backgrounds.  White, Cream, and Dark Blue.  I'd probly photograph this against the cream.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

I see a "thumbs-up" & a dog looking up at its master on either side of the tail. ;D  ;)

Yeah, the colour looks odd, almost dark chocolate brown. :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

It's Testors gloss light blue 1108 and flat sea blue 1127.
Looks like a classic case of overcompensation. Next my phone will want a jacked up turbo diesel pickup truck..... :wacko:
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Yep thumbsup on the colour scheme here to..that does look good 👍
Weirdly even with my wonky eyesight colour thingy that does look like dark Cadbury chocolate to me yet  it works to my peepers . :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

steelpillow

Weird. The top photo looks firmly chocolate, next firmly blue, next looked choco when I first saw it but when I scrolled back a few sec later it had gone midnight blue. Now it's a different colour every time I look at it, even morphs while I am staring.
Must change the brand of glue I'm using...
Oh, wait, checking with my trusty GIMP eyedropper they are indeed respectively shades of red, blue, and variegated red-purple-blue. Phew!
Cheers.

kerick

Wow! At first I thought you guys were nuts seeing chocolate brown but now in a couple of pics I see it too! It must be a combo of the reddish background and the way the light hits it. One pic is brown and the next is super dark blue.
I need to try Cadbury chocolate brown in a future paint scheme!
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 16, 2024, 05:48:37 AMI see a "thumbs-up" & a dog looking up at its master on either side of the tail. ;D  ;)

Yeah, the colour looks odd, almost dark chocolate brown. :blink:

A camo scheme and Rorschach test at the same time!

Next project will get dark chocolate and peanut butter!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Reckon this could use a couple of extra weapons pylons on the rear Ken 🤔 😀 😜