General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, October 19, 2023, 06:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Leading Observer on October 24, 2023, 09:25:06 AMI'm thinking a South Seas Harrier GR1 from an idea that popped up in a conversation over a cup of tea this morning. I have a Hasagawa GR1 in the stash...

Won't the grass skirts catch fire?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Leading Observer

Quote from: Gondor on October 24, 2023, 10:10:45 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on October 24, 2023, 09:25:06 AMI'm thinking a South Seas Harrier GR1 from an idea that popped up in a conversation over a cup of tea this morning. I have a Hasagawa GR1 in the stash...

Gondor

There would of course be a seperate contract for fire resistent grass with a healthy R&D budget
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on October 24, 2023, 10:10:45 AM

Gondor
Not if it's this Harrier
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Doug K

I have an AV8B which might end up with a Sea Harrier FA2 radome.... If I can find one.

Gondor

Quote from: Doug K on October 28, 2023, 08:05:51 AMI have an AV8B which might end up with a Sea Harrier FA2 radome.... If I can find one.

When I had a go at that I used the rear of a 1/48 Gun Pod on the 1/72 Harrier. And just because I had a go at building something simmilar does not mean that you can't.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Building something that hasn't been done before is going to be difficult, no doubt some of the whiffs will look very similar with your own style on these.
I'm thinking outside of the box, jet engines have been used to power locomotives before. I think Dapol/Kitmaster is worth looking at again!
A jet fighter powered  rail sledge, I mean they would have had to test the engines and see whether or not the fuselage was streamlined before the wings were fitted.

zenrat

I dug out the Airfix Buccaneer today.  The Eduard resin Exocets were already in the box plus an Eduard coloured PE set I had forgotten i'd bought.
I think this will be the first one i'll start.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

mexchiwa

Apropos of nothing - the original A-6 Intruder had rotatable nozzles, for better take-off performance.

How about something like that for the Bucc (or Jag) with Harrier nozzles?

PR19_Kit

Why not?

All perfectly acceptable.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Vulcan7

I have two Matchbox Buccaneers, but only one canopy between them  :o ....what to do?  ;)  ;D
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

Right off and running lads, enjoy yourselves  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Vostoc7 on October 31, 2023, 03:13:48 PMI have two Matchbox Buccaneers, but only one canopy between them  :o ....what to do?  ;)  ;D

Build a drone Buccaneer, simples.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: perttime on October 22, 2023, 09:51:14 PMHas anybody considered the possibility of a VTOL Jaguar - and, if any parts are left over, a CTOL Harrier?

Yes. There was one offered to AST.396 in the early '80s(?) It had clang-box diverters between the turbines and the afterburners that diverted the flow into two Harrier-style nozzles on the sides of the rear fuselage, and two vertical lift engines behind the cockpit. It's in one of the BSP books.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Sit down: I might have a go at this one. :o

Since I quit work and focussed on sorting out my aunt's house, my evenings are generally proving to be free, and there's only so many Youtube reaction videos of 20-somethings crying over Saving Private Ryan that even a sadist like me can watch... :wacko:

Options, all of which fit into pre-existing story arcs in my head:

1. Luftwaffe Harrier.
They took part in the Kestrel evaluation and in this timeline, they bought it to replace their G.91s instead of the Alpha Jet.
I can do this with what I've got, I think, using a new-tool Airfix Harrier GR.1 and G.91R decals from either an Airfix G.91 sheet in my spares box or robbed from a Meng kit.

2. Marineflieger Buccaneer.
The UK made a laughably amateurish attempt to sell the Bucc to the German Navy in real life. In this timeline they did a better job and/or Lockheed's "salesmanship" re the F-104 got exposed earlier. The MFG ones would have straight bomb bay doors (generally with fuel in the bay), no refuelling probe, non-folding wings, 4 x Kormorans and two extra outboard wing pylons, usually carrying a Sidewinder and an ECM pod.
I've got RN and RAF boxings of the new-tool Bucc, and all the stores. I'd need to buy some decals though.

3. Canadian Jaguar.
The idea here is that a more European-oriented Canada joins the Jaguar programme to get a rapidly deployable aircraft to meet their NATO commitment to reinforce Norway, a requirement that was met in real life by the F-5A/B (CF-116).
This would need some spending. I thought I had an Airfix Jaguar going spare, but damned if I can find it. I also thought I had a Matchbox CF-116: found that, but all the Canadian decals are missing... :banghead: As it is, I've got a couple of crappy Matchbox Jags and an Italeri two-seater that was bought as a parts dpnor for another project.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

1. Since the RAF Harriers were based in Germany all the time this would make perfect sense.

2. Likewise, German Navy Buccs would have made much more sense than F-104s for clearing out the Baltic.

3. Canadian Jaguars just sound awesome!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise