General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, October 19, 2023, 06:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Weaver on November 02, 2023, 02:51:15 PM
Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 09:06:45 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 02, 2023, 08:02:29 AMThis means the only way to get a correct marking is to buy an Alpha Jet kit or decal set.  :banghead:

I have the Heller Alphajet in my part build pile. I will check in case I still have the German markings for it which you can have.

Ooh, thanks! DM if you find them.

It strikes me that I might be able to rearrange the Meng markings like this:

G.91: 31+43
Harrier: 41+33

However that's a bit more fiddly than just swapping the two-digit numbers around.

I am sorry but I don't have any. The Alphajet box I have is purely for the French Patrouille de France version. I also checked my decal folder but nothing there that would work apart from some questionable ESCI roundels.
I will keep an eye out at Telford in case somebody is selling a set that would work.

kerick

I should dig out the Heller two seat Harrier I have in a drawer somewhere. It desperately needs a cockpit. I would have to build one from scratch. Otherwise it's not a bad kit.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on November 03, 2023, 09:23:53 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 02, 2023, 02:51:15 PM
Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2023, 09:06:45 AM
Quote from: Weaver on November 02, 2023, 08:02:29 AMThis means the only way to get a correct marking is to buy an Alpha Jet kit or decal set.  :banghead:

I have the Heller Alphajet in my part build pile. I will check in case I still have the German markings for it which you can have.

Ooh, thanks! DM if you find them.

It strikes me that I might be able to rearrange the Meng markings like this:

G.91: 31+43
Harrier: 41+33

However that's a bit more fiddly than just swapping the two-digit numbers around.

I am sorry but I don't have any. The Alphajet box I have is purely for the French Patrouille de France version. I also checked my decal folder but nothing there that would work apart from some questionable ESCI roundels.
I will keep an eye out at Telford in case somebody is selling a set that would work.

Thanks for looking Nick. Don't worry about Telford: I'm going to buy a KP Alpha Jet kit. Hannants have it on offer so it's only a quid dearer than an aftermarket decal sheet!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on November 03, 2023, 03:08:22 PMI should dig out the Heller two seat Harrier I have in a drawer somewhere. It desperately needs a cockpit. I would have to build one from scratch. Otherwise it's not a bad kit.

Considering the Hello Bobcat Harrier Trainer is a click-together kit it's a VERY accurate model of the real thing. It's always impressed me and I've wondered why they never upgraded the basic moulds  to a more complex conventional kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Heh - just looked in the Buccaneer box to make sure I hadn't bought canopy masks already and forgotten about them. Well I hadn't, but what I had bought and forgotten about was a part-used decal sheet with Marineflieger Starfighter markings on it.

Unfortunately, I can't use them: they're pre-'68 pattern, and I want to hang Kormorans off it, which didn't enter service until '77/'78. :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Glenn Gilbertson

Quote from: Weaver on November 03, 2023, 02:38:49 AM
Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on November 02, 2023, 06:32:39 PMMy effort from 2010  (26+24 RW Tornado markings)

Nice job!

Aren't they Starfighter codes though? Starfighters had codes in the 20-odd range, while Tornados started at 43 and went up to 46 or 47.
Starfighter codes would actually be more fitting, assuming that Germany bought Buccs instead of Starfighters.

Quite right, Weaver - I should have made it clear that the flamboyant colours were adapted from Tornado 45+30, while my codes were appropriate to Starfighters.
If we had sold them Buccs, would they have bought SR.177 for airfield defence?

Gondor

I know at one time there were sheets of both Moddern German Marking, both number and Cross available. I can't find my set at the moment or I would tell you who made them but I think they are OOP unfortunatly.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on November 02, 2023, 06:59:13 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 02, 2023, 02:15:36 AMAs I believe I mentioned elsewhere In have some ideas for a Super-Jag (MORE POWER!).  To this end I was today offering up a Tamiya (nee Italeri) Jag, a Hasgawa Mitsubishi T2 and a Hasegawa Phamtom.  I'm thinking of grafting the "engine" section of the Phantom into the T2 and then adding the Jag cockpit.
It's going to need longer wings.  T2 and Jag wings are too small when sat on top of that big fat Phantom fuselage.  Maybe Phantom wings with the ends flattened.
Buccaneer wings, of course...

Don't have any to spare.  I do have an F-15 though...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on November 03, 2023, 06:37:28 PM
Quote from: Weaver on November 03, 2023, 02:38:49 AM
Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on November 02, 2023, 06:32:39 PMMy effort from 2010  (26+24 RW Tornado markings)

Nice job!

Aren't they Starfighter codes though? Starfighters had codes in the 20-odd range, while Tornados started at 43 and went up to 46 or 47.
Starfighter codes would actually be more fitting, assuming that Germany bought Buccs instead of Starfighters.

Quite right, Weaver - I should have made it clear that the flamboyant colours were adapted from Tornado 45+30, while my codes were appropriate to Starfighters.
If we had sold them Buccs, would they have bought SR.177 for airfield defence?

The effort to sell them the SR.177 was rather better than that to sell them the Bucc, so it's a definite possibility. In my alternative timeline, the Starfighter bribes situation gets exposed much earlier and they end up buying Lightnings instead. One option for Luftwaffe strike would be more Buccs, but another interesting one would be Mirage IIIEs: they were offered.

- Indiana Jones

jcf

So basically, the Continental politicians involved
make their suggestions of financial considerations
for interested parties to Blackburn instead of Lockheed.

zenrat

And Robert Calvert called his LP record about the events "Captain Blackburn and the Buccaneers".
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2023, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: kerick on November 03, 2023, 03:08:22 PMI should dig out the Heller two seat Harrier I have in a drawer somewhere. It desperately needs a cockpit. I would have to build one from scratch. Otherwise it's not a bad kit.

Considering the Hello Bobcat Harrier Trainer is a click-together kit it's a VERY accurate model of the real thing. It's always impressed me and I've wondered why they never upgraded the basic moulds  to a more complex conventional kit.

I built a few of the Heller T2s back in the 80s when I went on a Harrier spree (including a hand painted AV8S) it looked surprisingly great in the G-VTOL red, white & blue.

Weaver

Quote from: jcf on November 04, 2023, 08:52:44 AMSo basically, the Continental politicians involved

Yeah, but they had to spread it around a consortium of European companies because none of them had the individual financial resources to compete with the bribe levels that a single US company could pay. Then somebody said, "hey let's formalise these kind of arrangements and call them 'European Joint Procurement Projects'..."  ;)

- Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on November 05, 2023, 09:23:32 AM
Quote from: jcf on November 04, 2023, 08:52:44 AMSo basically, the Continental politicians involved

Yeah, but they had to spread it around a consortium of European companies because none of them had the individual financial resources to compete with the bribe levels that a single US company could pay. Then somebody said, "hey let's formalise these kind of arrangements and call them 'European Joint Procurement Projects'..."  ;)
While the Gnomes of Zurich nodded sagely and busied themselves creating new accounts.
;D

zenrat

Got an e-mail today telling me that Italeri have repopped/are repopping their RAF Jaguar T2.

Fred