Sopwith 7F.3 Sniplane

Started by VickersVandal, October 28, 2023, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VickersVandal

Both the allies and the Germans were loath to let go of the triplane concept. Plenty of tri-deckers were still in development even in 1918.

Sopwith, possibly thinking back to the glory days of the triplane and Collishaw's hun-getting Black Flight, developed a venetian blind from the Snipe. Using the heavy struts trialled with the Taper Wing Camel, a second set of lower wings were mounted above the first. Given the broad chord of the wings, the struts employed a wide I section at each end to prevent wing flex.

The resulting aircraft performed satisfactorily but had no real advantage over the standard Snipe and had poor visibility angled forward due to the wide central struts. The project was abandoned. No photos exist of the only prototype. Following on from this, Sopwith built the (radial) Dragonfly-engined Snark triplane but that didn't make it past prototype stage either.

This build was qctually a bit of a wind-up. The model club has an annual wood, wire and canvas comp and I wanted to see how quickly this would be picked up as bogus. I even wrote a short spiel similar to the above, to display with it :mrgreen: 

The kit behaved as well as could be expected given it's a short run. Engine and a few other bits were Roden spares. Struts and undercarriage scratchbuilt.I now have a spare Pegasus Snipe with no lower wings so I have nefarious plans forthat for next year  :ha: ;-)  :razz:
Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Wardukw

Glad to see your back at Vandal mate 👍
Love it bud 😄
My pile of WW1 fighters got much much larger thanks to a mate ..got a heap on 72nd and a few 48th jobbies...all are built and I'm gonna attack the 48th ones  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

VickersVandal

Quote from: Wardukw on October 28, 2023, 09:13:17 PMGlad to see your back at Vandal mate 👍
Love it bud 😄
My pile of WW1 fighters got much much larger thanks to a mate ..got a heap on 72nd and a few 48th jobbies...all are built and I'm gonna attack the 48th ones  :wacko:

Good job, that man! Got any pics?
Biggles modelling loony.

Wardukw

Quote from: VickersVandal on October 28, 2023, 10:56:03 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on October 28, 2023, 09:13:17 PMGlad to see your back at Vandal mate 👍
Love it bud 😄

Good job, that man! Got any pics?
Mate theres probably 20+ of em so I'll try and group shot em ..the 48th ones are a Fokker triplane..Albatros D7 I think and Bulldog I think
..as you can tell I know a ton about WW1 aircraft  ;D  :o
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

I like that  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Struts are certainly more practical from a "ham fisted modellers" (moi  :angel: ) point of view  ;)

Quote from: VickersVandal on October 28, 2023, 01:45:24 PMThis build was qctually a bit of a wind-up. The model club has an annual wood, wire and canvas comp and I wanted to see how quickly this would be picked up as bogus. I even wrote a short spiel similar to the above, to display with it :mrgreen: 

So ? How long did it take to get "sussed" ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Vulcan7

Great looking build  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

stevehed

Lovely job. Now if it had been brought out before the Snipe?

VickersVandal

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 29, 2023, 07:03:19 AMSo ? How long did it take to get "sussed" ?

I don't know if it actually was. The bloke who runs the comp does have a tendency to count rivets so I was expecting some fireworks but nothing was said. Bit of a let-down...  ;D
Biggles modelling loony.

NARSES2

Quote from: VickersVandal on November 02, 2023, 01:25:30 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 29, 2023, 07:03:19 AMSo ? How long did it take to get "sussed" ?

I don't know if it actually was. The bloke who runs the comp does have a tendency to count rivets so I was expecting some fireworks but nothing was said. Bit of a let-down...  ;D

;D  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.