Ukrainian AV-8B Harrier.

Started by Wardukw, October 31, 2023, 09:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Stage One is now complete ..
And before any of you happy chappies ask...yes that took fecking hours to do  :wacko:  :thumbsup:

DSCF4481 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4480 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4483 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF4482 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr

Stage Two to follow ,,,onc this it completely dry ...which will be tomorrow i think  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Wow...  :o  Are you using some kind of reference or are you just winging it? I'd like to try that sometime but don't even know where to start... :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

How many colors are you going to use?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

frank2056

That's coming along nicely! I've seen some Ukrainian digital camo that was less than perfectly applied, with no consistent pattern - but that was on armor. If you get sick of the masking, you can hand wave the excuse that under the exigencies of war, the crew chief simplified the pattern application.

Wardukw

Thanks guys ☺️

Rui I am indeed using a reference..I D/L pics of the Ukrainian SU-25 digi camo .
I also d/l pic of the masks which are perfect as they give views from every direction ya need .
As for doing it ..it's not hard by any means ..it's just getting going ..the start is a pain sometimes just trying to find a method which will start to give you the results your after .
Once you've got that part out of the way its smooth sailing from there.
You can see in the top two pics my little cutting mat..every piece of tape is just cut to what ever lenght you feel looks right and away you go and then just start placing it ..overlap it if ya need to..doesn't matter..just keep laying down tape and feeling ya way as you go to get the right look..from there bud it's quite easy 🙂

Ken there's going to be 4 colours in total.
Luck was on my side paint wise ..a while back I scored a very nice pile of Vic Hobby paint sets ..2 of em are for the Mig-29 and that set has 2 of the colours I need 😍
The colours now are flat black..fulcrum gray green..fulcrum pale gray and underneath its sliver gray which will be from Ammo .

Frank I know the camo you take of on the APCs which is simple to say the least ...they are definitely sprayed with cans or brushes ..no official camo schemes here I'll bet.
The aircraft tho are a different story...everything I've seen the camo has been applied in a official way and done properly from the get go .
Admittedly these are aircraft from before the war really started so pressure wasn't a issue so I'm working with the idea that these aircraft given to the Ukraine are being painted by the country giving them the planes 😀
So not perfect but very close 🙂
Even though in the RW the Ukrainians would give two hoots if the planes are painted or not I'd think ..they just want boots on the ground so to speck..or better ..wings in the air  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Right this thing is completely painted and now im going to strip it clean.
The bloody paint didn't stick to the primer at all and for some damn reason the top coat munted the the lot .
It's also semi gloss and that's tearing when I removed the tape .
Where the paint didn't stick is strange..it's like there's a oil layer and considering how pissed off I am with this it got to within a inch of being hammer into the ground .
These Vic Hobby paints are the problem..in a set of 3.. two of the paints are semi gloss and the other flat..and they don't stick to each other which destroyed over a weeks worth of work .
I'm sticking with Ammo paints for the whole thing or this will be removed from my memory permanently.

kerick

Man, I feel your pain! I know I sound like an old timer (I am so not surprising) but the enamel paints seemed so much easier. No organic chemistry mystery magic required. All I hear about is paints refusing to cooperate with each other.  :angry:
Step back from this one before it hits the wall.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

It's stripped..down to plain clean plastic again but it's without a doubt the fastest stripping job I've ever seen on a model.
The Vic Hobby paint just turned to goo..all of it ..the model is drying right now and I'll prime it again tomorrow.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

I can't imagine what the problem was unless it was really old or was stored improperly and allowed to freeze or got super hot. Too many products out today and all with their own quirks.
At least you are back to a clean start again.
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Ken matey it was the light gray semi gloss which like reactivated the other 2 colours but not the black undercoat ...dude I've never seen anything like this before..the word strange doesn't come close to this 😅

It's undercoated again and tomorrow I'll probably start working it again.  :o

kerick

Organic chemistry is weird! Or magic, not sure which.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

It's freaking supernatural weird arse magic matey 😁

kerick

Tophe the Wise