HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine

Started by Old Wombat, November 01, 2023, 05:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I pulled the old-mould Airfix 1/48 Bucc out of the Shed Sub-stash today in preparation ... I still don't have a clear modelling space, yet, though.

As I have two of the new-mould kits this one is ..... Expendable! :wacko:

It is going to become a submarine. :thumbsup:

Scale to be determined but the idea of a stupidly large submarine in 1/350 scale is making advances to me, & I'm not sure I can deny them. :blink:

Being blindingly obvious; HMAS Buccaneer is at the front of the naming list, right now. :rolleyes:

Anyway, carry on! :tornado:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Vulcan7

Great idea, looking forward to seeing it  :thumbsup: ...... dive! dive! dive!
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

Repeat the title of this entry to yourself quickly and it starts to sound quite rude. Perhaps rude enough for a PM's Chief Adviser  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 01, 2023, 07:33:42 AMRepeat the title of this entry to yourself quickly and it starts to sound quite rude. Perhaps rude enough for a PM's Chief Adviser  :angel:

Have you thought about having a chat with a good psychologist, Chris? :unsure:

seadude

A Bucc into a submarine?  :o  Well, it can't be any worse than turning an SR-71 Blackbird into a submarine. Pic below.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

kerick

Quote from: seadude on November 01, 2023, 11:23:55 AMA Bucc into a submarine?  :o  Well, it can't be any worse than turning an SR-71 Blackbird into a submarine. Pic below.

But was it a crazy fast submarine?

The Buccaneer sub sounds great!
A Harrier conversion maybe? Jaguar definitely not.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Weaver

Well it's probably strong enough...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: jcf on November 01, 2023, 05:05:33 PMHMAS Queen Anne's Revenge?
:wacko:

Hmm, I'll have to see if there's an edward Teach serving in the RAN. :unsure:  ;)

Quote from: Weaver on November 01, 2023, 08:13:47 PMWell it's probably strong enough...

Milled from a solid block of steel? ;D  ;)

Oh, and I've started construction. Fuselage, bomb bay, wheel bay doors & (modified) tail glued together. My daughter says it looks surprisingly submarine-like. :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 01, 2023, 08:59:30 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 01, 2023, 07:33:42 AMRepeat the title of this entry to yourself quickly and it starts to sound quite rude. Perhaps rude enough for a PM's Chief Adviser  :angel:

Have you thought about having a chat with a good psychologist, Chris? :unsure:

I know one  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 01, 2023, 11:57:17 PM
Quote from: Weaver on November 01, 2023, 08:13:47 PMWell it's probably strong enough...

Milled from a solid block of steel? ;D  ;)

Well Blackburn did import the first large skin-milling machine in the UK in order to build it...

Buccaneer crews invented something called the "Bacofoil Test". When they were on a NATO exercise and crews of "sexier" aircraft were taking the piss, they'd walk up to the other aircraft and lean heavily on a panel. If it bent even a fraction of a milimetre, they'd look at each other, suck air through their teeth and say, "it'll never last, that.." before walking away, shaking their heads... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 01, 2023, 11:57:17 PM
Quote from: jcf on November 01, 2023, 05:05:33 PMMilled from a solid block of steel? ;D  ;)

Wasn't there a story that the granite quarry on Shap Fell were bidding for the contract.................the blue granite quarry, not the pink one!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

buzzbomb

I do quite like this idea, How it comes together will be super intriguing ;D

Old Wombat

I've been fighting the temptation to turn this into a sci-fi starship - it SO naturally wants to be in that guise! ;D

So, I created an Astute-class sized conning tower (The Los Angeles-class towers, of which there are two in each kit, were far too small!) from bits of the wing root & glued it on.....

..... It now looks so bleedin' Gerry Anderson it's ridiculous! :o

Anyway, tonight I'll be taking to it with the Dremel, to get rid of the last remnants of the wing roots, so I can work on filling & packing out in preparation for the PSR that awaits further along in this build.

Wardukw

Guy this also has me quite interested now..intrigued is the word all right .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .