HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine

Started by Old Wombat, November 01, 2023, 05:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Working on the fun little pokey-up bits on top of the conning tower at the moment.

Once they're finished I may do a tiny bit more weathering & a satin coat, then she'll be done. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Photo's later today (it being 0120hrs here).

Wardukw

Can't wait for these pics matey 😄 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Well, this could be awkward; SmugMug is playing up! :-\

I'll keep trying, though! :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Right, got that sorted! :thumbsup:

SSBN-404 HMAS Buccaneer

In the late-1950's Australia, fed up with being treated as a useful place to test nuclear weapons without being "allowed" to join the club, denied the UK further use of its territory for testing of its nuclear warheads & the missiles that were to carry them. As the USA was explicitly against allowing any newcomers into the Nuclear Family & would offer no assistance, Australia took what information it had gleaned from its scientists, who had worked with the British & Americans on their tests, & developed their own power stations, enrichment plants, nuclear weapons & missiles. Initially somewhat inferior to those of their allies, by their third generation of weapons they had caught up in both yield & delivery performances.

Australia's first nuclear submarine, HMAS Woomera (possibly named as something of a snub to the British) was commissioned in 1964, & was armed with 8 Wiiny Dunha (Fire Stick) SLBMs & 6 torpedo tubes (4 forward, 2 aft). A further 3 of her class were built by 1970, alongside 6 diesel-electric hunter-killer submarines.

Australia was formally accepted as a nuclear power in 1973.

By 2020 the RAN were bringing their 4th Generation SSNs on line. This was the "modular*" Pirate-class**, designed to be fast & almost undetectable, & the first vessels to be powered by a magnetohydrodynamic propulsion system. The final submarine of the class was commissioned on the 11th of November, 2045.

The Pirate-class SSNs are divided into 3 sub-classes;

The largest number of vessels are of the Bushranger sub-class (HMAS's Bushranger, Highwayman, Outlaw, Brigand, Bandit, Blackleg, Hunter, Huntress, Stalker & Tracker), which are attack (hunter-killer) submarines, & carry a lot of VLS cells plus 8 torpedo tubes (6 forward, 2 aft). [Note: Brigand, Bandit & Blackleg could be considered a sub-sub-class, as they are fitted out for covert op's insertion, extraction, command & control.]

Then there are the Smuggler sub-class (HMAAV***'s Smuggler, Gunrunner, Bootlegger, Freebooter, Drummer, Merchanter, Trader & Courier) which have a large hump along the centre section of their spine used for carrying cargo, as they are submarine freighters designed to re-supply the other submarines & supply ground forces operating adjacent to heavily contested waters & where air superiority/supremacy has not been attained. They have a self-defence suite of two 8-cell VLS & 4 torpedo tubes (2 forward, 2 aft).

Finally, there are the Privateer sub-class of submarines (HMAS's Privateer, Buccaneer, Corsair, Seawolf & Marauder). The smallest of the three sub-classes of the the Pirate-class of submarines, they are the RAN's "deterrent" force of SSBNs, each carrying 16 Bullroarer nuclear armed missiles (similar in size & performance to the US Trident II) in a hump identical in profile to that of the Smuggler sub-class, two 8-cell VLS systems & four torpedo tubes (2 forward, 2 aft).

Here we have SSBN-404 HMAS Buccaneer, the second of the Privateer sub-class of the Pirate-class

[*:  "Modular", in this instance, meaning that various modules could be dropped in during construction to become a permanent part of the vessel's structure, rather than be able to be swapped out once built.]
[**: Pirate was the prototype/test vessel of the class &, although commissioned, was never operational.]
[***: HMAAV = Her/His Majesty's Australian Auxilliary Vessel]

PS: I haven't taken any measurements, so I can't give you dimensions. I may try to figure some out at a later date.

Old Wombat

Pirate-class submarine TORPEDOES

The Pirate-class submarines use 3 primary torpedo types;

White Shark:
Weight: something over 2,000kg
Warhead: 350kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 533mm (21in)
Length: 7.75m
Guidance: wire-guided, thermal-signature tracking, Advanced Passive/Active Acoustic
Propulsion:    gas-turbine pump-jet, solid-fuel rocket booster
Range: up to 75km at low speed (20-25kn)
Speed: up to 75kn on pump jet with the solid-fuel rocket booster providing a 25sec accelerating burst up to 200kn
Operating Depth: >1,000m

Tiger Shark:
Weight: approx. 1,800kg
Warhead: 300kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 533mm (21in)
Length: 7m
Guidance: wire-guided, Advanced Passive/Active Sonar
Propulsion: high-frequency electric pump-jet
Range: up to 50km at low speed (15-20kn)
Speed: up to 80kn

Bull Shark:
Weight: approx. 1,000kg
Warhead: 200kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 320mm (12.5in)
Length: 4.85m
Guidance: Advanced Passive/Active Sonar
Propulsion: high-frequency electric pump-jet and solid-fuel rocket booster
Range: up to 25km
Speed: 50kn to 200kn

The White Shark & Tiger Shark torpedoes are primarily "offensive" weapons, used when hunting enemy ships & submarines.

The Bull Shark torpedo is primarily a "defensive" weapon, used to kill attacking torpedoes, but can be used offensively to kill attacking enemy ships, should the submarine be detected.

[Note: All information is partially speculative as details of all systems are highly classified.]

PR19_Kit

FANTASTIC!

An absolute blinder of a model, and the backstory is wonderful, specially the naming of the sub-classes. Superb work Womby.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Looks like something that could have been loaded to the gills* with genetically engineered superman in cryogenic sleep...and marooned in space, only to be found found by an unsuspecting starship.
 :thumbsup:

*As built by the prop department at Desilu Studios
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Come together really well mate  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Looks fantastic! I wish I had thought of this, especially that paint job. Don't be surprised if it appears on some other guys project!  ;)
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Love that camo Guy ...not surprised it's already wanted to be ..let's say "borrowed "  ;D
Awesome build mate 👍  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Steel Penguin

great looking model and a good back story as well.   :thumbsup:   from here
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Vulcan7

Genius idea, beautifully done  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :tornado:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

Old Wombat

Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow: