HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine

Started by Old Wombat, November 01, 2023, 05:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Wardukw

As it's been said to me ..it didn't happen if there's no pics  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Pushy! Pushy! Pushy! :rolleyes:

Tempted not to put any photo's up ... But, considering I've gone to the effort of taking them ... ;)

The fairings at the bases of the hydroplanes need more work to get them right & the conning tower bridge needs to be done (deck, bulkheads & periscopes, etc.), plus, while I'm doing those, I can finish off the few small panel/seam lines that appeared on this pass.

Not too bad, really. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

That's really looking cool bud 👍 😀
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

That is looking really nice. Is the large raised area on the spine of the sub going to get hatches for vertical launch tubes?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

In this case, yes. Plus a small batch of VLS cells & 2 torpedo tubes for self-defence.

This is outside of my primary Alt. History & the base scenario is made up just for this build (it's how my mind works best). In this scenario Australia becomes a member of the nuclear family in the 1950's (either with/without British/US support). They develop (again, either with/without British/US support) IRBMs (possibly based on Blue Streak), nuclear-powered submarines & SLBMs, cruise missiles, etc.

In my mind she is the second of the Privateer sub-class of the Pirate-class* of submarines (HMAS's Privateer, Buccaneer, Corsair, Seawolf & Marauder) which are SSBNs.

Then there is the Bushranger sub-class (HMAS's Bushranger, Highwayman, Outlaw, Brigand, Bandit, Blackleg, Hunter, Huntress, Stalker & Tracker), which don't have the bulged top & are attack (hunter-killer) submarines, which carry a lot of VLS cells & 6 torpedo tubes. [Note: Brigand, Bandit & Blackleg could be considered a sub-sub-class, as they are fitted out for covert op's insertion, extraction, command & control.]

Finally, there is the Smuggler sub-class (HMAAV**'s Smuggler, Gunrunner, Bootlegger, Freebooter, Drummer, Merchanter, Trader & Courier) which do have the hump but, rather than missile boats, they're submarine freighters designed to re-supply the other submarines & supply ground forces operating adjacent to heavily contested waters & where air superiority/supremacy has not been attained. They retain the self-defence suite of the Privateer sub-class.

[*: Pirate was the prototype/test vessel of the class &, although commissioned, was never operational.]
[**: HMAAV = Her/His Majesty's Australian Auxilliary Vessel]

Vulcan7

looking the business, a perfect finish  :o  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

NARSES2

Coming along nicely  :thumbsup:

I like the explanation of the classes of submarines  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 19, 2023, 06:01:17 AMI like the explanation of the classes of submarines  :thumbsup:

As do I!  There is scope for a considerable amount of fascinating backstory here, which I look forward to reading in due course.

Given the distain with which the submarine service was treated  in its earlier years.......an 'illegitimate branch of the Royal Navy', said one Edwardian admiral........  the names are particularly appropriate.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

buzzbomb

Oh that is gorgeous.... really nice shape on that

Rick Lowe

Coming along nicely.  :thumbsup:

Looks very Gerry Anderson - was the design team perhaps headed up by one Hiram K. Hackenbacker?  ;)

And the range of names is cool, too - and useful, as I am still looking for a suitable synonym for my Turboprop F4U, so that list will come in handy - thanks.  :thumbsup:
(yes, I could goggle something and probably will in time, but it shows me there are more options than the 3-4 I have already in mind)

Old Wombat

Thank you very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Quote from: Rheged on November 19, 2023, 07:09:09 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 19, 2023, 06:01:17 AMI like the explanation of the classes of submarines  :thumbsup:

As do I!  There is scope for a considerable amount of fascinating backstory here, which I look forward to reading in due course.

Given the distain with which the submarine service was treated  in its earlier years.......an 'illegitimate branch of the Royal Navy', said one Edwardian admiral........  the names are particularly appropriate.

If His Lordship wishes to play with it, he may. ;)

It's a simple disposable outline that I use to create an inner narrative to explain the existance of the "thing" (in this case HMAS Buccaneer). Once I've finished with this build the outline will become superfluous & be relegated to the darkest depths of my mind.

My Royal Australian Marines timeline, on the other hand, is more complex & important, as it underlies the vast majority of my builds, these days ... & I really should finish writing it. :angel:

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 19, 2023, 11:18:34 PMThank you very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

It's a simple disposable outline that I use to create an inner narrative to explain the existance of the "thing" (in this case HMAS Buccaneer). Once I've finished with this build the outline will become superfluous & be relegated to the darkest depths of my mind.

My Royal Australian Marines timeline, on the other hand, is more complex & important, as it underlies the vast majority of my builds, these days ... & I really should finish writing it. :angel:
Thank you for your extremely generous invitation to expand the story of the maritime nuclear history of Australia.  I will PM you a draft of my backstory when completed, and if it meets with your approval we can launch it on an unsuspecting world.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on November 20, 2023, 02:52:31 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on November 19, 2023, 11:18:34 PMThank you very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Thank you for your extremely generous invitation to expand the story of the maritime nuclear history of Australia.  I will PM you a draft of my backstory when completed, and if it meets with your approval we can launch it on an unsuspecting world.

Sounds like fun! :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

Old Wombat

The fairings for the hydroplanes have gone somewhat awry, so the build is in a hiatus for a bit, while I consider what to do about fixing them or, more likely, removing them & rebuilding them from scratch. :-\