HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine

Started by Old Wombat, November 01, 2023, 05:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Yep I'll agree..thought you had headed south with this but nooo..north it was 😊😊

Love this 😀
A very disruptive camo and I've kinda got a thing for that 😏😉
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I have to ask! Did you use silly putty and did it change the color of the paint?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 03, 2024, 09:06:20 PMThank you, gent's! :bow:  :bow:

The camo is a bit SeaQuest-y but in shallow waters or when near the surface in deep water it's usually the dark shape of a submarine that gives it away. So, as you said Rick, a camouflage pattern can work here & at depth what it's painted doesn't matter, as there's too little light for it to be seen.

It looks great.  :thumbsup:

The Royal Navy has experimented quite a bit with shallow-water cammo for subs:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Quote from: Weaver on February 05, 2024, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on February 03, 2024, 09:06:20 PMThank you, gent's! :bow:  :bow:

The camo is a bit SeaQuest-y but in shallow waters or when near the surface in deep water it's usually the dark shape of a submarine that gives it away. So, as you said Rick, a camouflage pattern can work here & at depth what it's painted doesn't matter, as there's too little light for it to be seen.

It looks great.  :thumbsup:

The Royal Navy has experimented quite a bit with shallow-water cammo for subs:

Serious whiff potential!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Thank you all very much, gentlemen! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Quote from: kerick on February 05, 2024, 03:19:52 PMI have to ask! Did you use silly putty and did it change the color of the paint?

No, I used liquid mask, which didn't change the colour of the paint. ;)

I don't have silly putty, I do have blue-tac & an AK camo masking putty but neither of those allow for sharpish angles.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

How well does that AK putty work? I'm thinking of buying some.
Tophe the Wise

seadude

You should paint some eyes on and maybe add a shark mouth type decal as well.  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: seadude on February 06, 2024, 11:55:21 AMYou should paint some eyes on and maybe add a shark mouth type decal as well.  ;D

Yeah! Especially given it'll likely be in the shallows in Australian waters, anyone catching sight of it would pass it off as 'Just another Great White / Bruce'! I say, Brain - brilliant!

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on February 06, 2024, 05:40:24 AMHow well does that AK putty work? I'm thinking of buying some.

Ken I use the AK Interactive version and it's pretty much the exact same stuff ..getting Ammos here is pretty much impossible..ive been waiting over 4 months now .
As for how it works..brilliant...you can stretch it..roll it..push it into any gap and I leaves zero residue..when you remove it and squeeze it all together like ya silly putty the paint just seems to vanish ...prefect paint lines every time mate with smeg all effort 👌  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Quote from: Wardukw on February 06, 2024, 08:04:06 PM
Quote from: kerick on February 06, 2024, 05:40:24 AMHow well does that AK putty work? I'm thinking of buying some.

Ken I use the AK Interactive version and it's pretty much the exact same stuff ..getting Ammos here is pretty much impossible..ive been waiting over 4 months now .
As for how it works..brilliant...you can stretch it..roll it..push it into any gap and I leaves zero residue..when you remove it and squeeze it all together like ya silly putty the paint just seems to vanish ...prefect paint lines every time mate with smeg all effort 👌  ;D

Yep, just don't try to make any sharp angles with it, they'll end up well curved.

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 06, 2024, 09:53:02 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on February 06, 2024, 08:04:06 PM

Yep, just don't try to make any sharp angles with it, they'll end up well curved.
Nope...curves only ..straight lines..nope ...it's prefect for curves and squiggles and worms  ;D

DogfighterZen

I've been using UHU's Patafix and depending on how hard it's press it down against the model's surface, mixed with certain airbrush spraying angles, you can get either sharp or soft demarcation lines on camos and, like Guy and Phill said, no straight lines, you're better off with masking tape for those.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

perttime

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 03, 2024, 08:24:21 PMTold you it ain"t Boring-Grey! ;D
My head has trouble understanding what my eyes are seeing. Good shape and colours for concealment?

Do you have any photos taken from a different angle (not straight from side or top)?

Old Wombat

Quote from: perttime on February 07, 2024, 12:45:55 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on February 03, 2024, 08:24:21 PMTold you it ain"t Boring-Grey! ;D
My head has trouble understanding what my eyes are seeing. Good shape and colours for concealment?

Do you have any photos taken from a different angle (not straight from side or top)?

Not at the moment. Getting her finished before the 14th has priority - only 7 days! :o

I promise I'll take various angled photo's on the final shoot. :thumbsup: