De Havilland DH-120 Vixliner

Started by TomZ, November 04, 2023, 05:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

De Havilland DH-120 Vixliner

When in the middle of the 1950s the De Havilland Sea Vixen was flying, the design team at De Havilland started thinking about a transport derivative of the design. They planned to create a fast executive transport for the high end of the market. The new aircraft was designated DH-120 and soon the name Vixliner was chosen.

The DH-120 used the wings, tail and engine section of the Sea Vixen and married that to a new front fuselage which seated 7 to 15 passengers depending on the seating arrangement.

The aircraft first flew in 1959 and test flight progressed rather rapidly. Unlike the Sea Vixen the Vixliner was not supersonic, attaining a maximum speed of 975 km/h in level flight. However the fuel consumption was rather high which limited the range of the aircraft 10 arounf 1800km.

This limited range, the high fuel consumption and the rather high price led to little interest from the market and in 1965, it was decided to stop further development of the DH-120. De Havilland shifted its focus to the DH-125 which showed much more potential.

Model: Revell Sea Vixen & A-Model HFB-320 1/72

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Steel Penguin

that is a very good looking airframe  :thumbsup:
very sleek and still rather futuristic.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

What a wonderful looking machine Tom, excellent work, both on the idea itself and the build!

I KNEW I'd seen that cockpit somewhere as soon as I saw the first pic, but couldn't bring it to mind before reading about it.  :thumbsup:

A twin-Avon powered biz-jet would tend to be a bit heavy on fuel for sure!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Not only good lookin' but oddly plausible! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Rheged

Tomz, I'm currently working on a whiff-augmented history of the DH Sea Vixen.   Please may I incorporate this previously unknown variant in the finished article?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

ericr

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

very elegant (the Vixen way)

uncletain

TomZ

Quote from: Rheged on November 04, 2023, 09:51:57 AMTomz, I'm currently working on a whiff-augmented history of the DH Sea Vixen.   Please may I incorporate this previously unknown variant in the finished article?

Of course! No history of the Sea Vixen is complete without the famed VixLiner!
Incorporate away!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Rick Lowe

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

dwomby

What a great idea and really well executed.

David

Wardukw

Tom mate not only have you knocked the ball clean into the next county but it also ricocheted of a rubbish bin and took out a parking warden .

Ironman would be proud to have this for certain  ;D
Absolute perfection 🥰
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .