ZELL Jaguar Gr1, on MAN 8X8 transporter/launcher *finished*

Started by sandiego89, November 04, 2023, 02:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Even with the Jaguar being able to operate from dispersed sites and highways, it was thought even those locations could become untenable in a Warsaw Pact attack into Western Europe.   The RAF and the German Defense Ministry dusted of their F-104 ZEro Length Launch (ZELL) plans and mounted Jaguar Gr1 and other types on MAN eight wheel drive transporters/launchers for dispersal at small hide sites.   

The kits:
1/72 Airfix, Jaguar Gr1
1/72 Modelcollect, MAN M1014 8x8 truck and M870A1 trailer

by Sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Wardukw

Dave I'm gonna love this ..anything with a tank transporter gets my vote 😆 🤘
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

perttime

Is the trailer long enough to transport a Jaguar?

Wardukw

Quote from: perttime on November 04, 2023, 11:47:21 PMIs the trailer long enough to transport a Jaguar?
The trailer is 41 ft 11 in (12.8m) long and the Jaguar is 16.83 m (55 ft 3 in)
Since the plane will be mounted on a zero length runway launch rail system overall lenght shouldn't matter at all..the only problem I can see it top heaviness..stabilizers are definitely going to be needed for launching.
Max load for this trailer is 40tons .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

JUST the sort of idea this GB was intended for!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

That boxing of the Airfix Jag just triggered some memories.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Quote from: Wardukw on November 05, 2023, 01:59:20 AM
Quote from: perttime on November 04, 2023, 11:47:21 PMIs the trailer long enough to transport a Jaguar?
Since the plane will be mounted on a zero length runway launch rail system overall lenght shouldn't matter at all..the only problem I can see it top heaviness..stabilizers are definitely going to be needed for launching.
Certainly large enough for launching, with stabilizers to ensure it stays upright. I suppose it is long enough for getting the Jaguar to a launch site, or moving to alternate sites - as long as the driver remembers the overhang at the back.
... or how does the geometry work? When you start with the Jag horizontal on the trailer, and start raising it to launch attitude. How do you keep the tail from hitting the ground?

sandiego89

Thank you for the dimensions and load of the trailer!  Plenty of room!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2023, 02:21:02 AMJUST the sort of idea this GB was intended for!  :thumbsup:

Thank you!  ZELL and German hide sites scream Cold War

Quote from: zenrat on November 05, 2023, 03:22:10 AMThat boxing of the Airfix Jag just triggered some memories.

Nostalgia?  Scalemates has that as 1990 re-boxing of the classic Airfix kit, 1990 was not that long....ahh nevermind. 

Quote from: perttime on November 05, 2023, 03:39:23 AM... or how does the geometry work? When you start with the Jag horizontal on the trailer, and start raising it to launch attitude. How do you keep the tail from hitting the ground?

Some thought is going to have to go into this one! 
Dave "Sandiego89"

loupgarou

Will the Jaguar have folding wings? Else I am afraid it would be classed as an overwide transport...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Wardukw

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 05, 2023, 06:00:18 AM

Thank you for the dimensions and load of the trailer!  Plenty of room!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2023, 02:21:02 AMJUST the sort of idea this GB was intended for!  :thumbsup:

Thank you!  ZELL and German hide sites scream Cold War

Quote from: zenrat on November 05, 2023, 03:22:10 AMThat boxing of the Airfix Jag just triggered some memories.

Nostalgia?  Scalemates has that as 1990 re-boxing of the classic Airfix kit, 1990 was not that long....ahh nevermind. 

Quote from: perttime on November 05, 2023, 03:39:23 AM... or how does the geometry work? When you start with the Jag horizontal on the trailer, and start raising it to launch attitude. How do you keep the tail from hitting the ground?

Some thought is going to have to go into this one! 
Dave if you build the launch rail from 2 sections into a ladder style arrangement then a cradle could support the Jag as it launched..like the V1 was launched..it's more stable and can be as wide as you need it to be..the wider the better.
As for this tail issue..it's not really a issue at all...with cradle sitting on the launch rail it can be as far forward as possible..the nose of the plane can be over the neck of the trailer 😀
The launch angle isn't much at all..less than 40° ..probably less than 30° actually.
Remember planes create their own lift so the moment they have enough forward speed they want to fly ..you've seen test launches like your idea Daveo mate I take it ? 👍
Not alot of angle needed for flight.
I've been thinking if you build the rail like a fork then the front landing gear could be down but I have seen footage of the landing gear up to come to think of it 🤔 😉

sandiego89

Quote from: Wardukw on November 05, 2023, 04:56:06 PMDave if you build the launch rail from 2 sections into a ladder style arrangement then a cradle could support the Jag as it launched..like the V1 was launched..it's more stable and can be as wide as you need it to be..the wider the better.
As for this tail issue..it's not really a issue at all...with cradle sitting on the launch rail it can be as far forward as possible..the nose of the plane can be over the neck of the trailer 😀
The launch angle isn't much at all..less than 40° ..probably less than 30° actually.
Remember planes create their own lift so the moment they have enough forward speed they want to fly ..you've seen test launches like your idea Daveo mate I take it ? 👍
Not alot of angle needed for flight.
I've been thinking if you build the rail like a fork then the front landing gear could be down but I have seen footage of the landing gear up to come to think of it 🤔 😉

Thanks for ideas, love these builds that make me think a bit. 

I have built the most excellent Renwall 1/32 Terra Cruiser/Mace launcher (but I put an F-104 on mine  ;) so I appreciate the rails and the angles. 

Also need enough space between and under the rails for the big booster. 

Gear down seems to be the method used by ZELL F-84's, F-100's and F-104s.  I found this counterintuitive when building my F-104 due to drag but I did some research and many of the aircraft had different control laws with the gear down (more deflection) and for the F-104 boundary layer air activated

Yes the nose of the Jag can hang over the 8x8 and the tail over the rear of the trailer if needed.   

My Terra Cruiser with Zell F-104:

overhang both ends

Dave "Sandiego89"

Wardukw

I like that mate..right up my alley 😉
Ya gotta love the ideas which bounce around our noggins sometimes 😆

You might think that shoving a plane on a rail and strapping a couple of JATO rockets on it is rather simple..the idea yss..the excursion ..not so much  ;D
A precise angle does have to  be figured out for each aircraft intended to be launched.
No 2 take off exactly the same  way.

kerick

As long as you have enough thrust to take off with a decent payload! But if they did it with a Starfighter back in the day I'm sure it could have been done with a Jag. The plane, not the car.......
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on November 06, 2023, 01:04:07 AMAs long as you have enough thrust to take off with a decent payload! But if they did it with a Starfighter back in the day I'm sure it could have been done with a Jag. The plane, not the car.......
Ohhh damn 😳
I absolutely want to see a Jag ( the car ) launched with JATO rockets  :wacko:  :wacko: