USMC A-10 on floats

Started by kerick, November 05, 2023, 11:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Very nice. She's really looking the part now. The colours do look good on her.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Started on a few fiddly bits. Landing gear doors, wheels and flaps. I need to spray the clear gloss and decal it. I might just finish this yet.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I sprayed a coat of clear gloss acrylic to get ready for decals. It was the same can of clear I've used on other models with other brands of acrylic paint. It went on like a mix of oil and water. It dried very uneven. I'm tempted to strip it and start over. I bought a set of Valejo paints the might work better. Nothing to lose. I've put too much work into this project to have it wear a crap paint job. I don't know if another coat of clear gloss would help or hurt.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Might sound weird, but try washing it with warm soapy water, then rinse & let dry.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 29, 2024, 03:13:19 AMMight sound weird, but try washing it with warm soapy water, then rinse & let dry.

That worth a shot. I'll let ya'll know what happens.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

I'm going ahead with some USMC decals, mostly from a Fujimi Skyhawk kit. It has VMFA-214 Blacksheep squadron markings which seem perfect for this build. The decals are working well and if I leave the micro sol alone its ok. If I touch it the paint itself comes loose. I'll check in the morning if the ones I've put on so far are ok.  This is going to be a learning experience build. So far a list of what not to do with acrylic paint. I'm going to try weathering and adding smoke residue around the gun barrels as the paint in that area is really bad anyway. Probably not just black. Any suggestions?
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Neutral Grey followed by a dark grey, very heavily thinned & applied in numerous light layers built up to the colour density you're looking for.

kerick

Thanks. This will be an airbrush learning experience. I'll turn the pressure way down and put in the smallest needle.
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on February 10, 2024, 07:47:26 AMThanks. This will be an airbrush learning experience. I'll turn the pressure way down and put in the smallest needle.

That's the idea! :thumbsup:

kerick

These decals are extremely tedious!  :o  I have the left side done and have started the right side. At least I have the choices in markings done. I've only broken off one main gear door and one float.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Since I'm getting down to the final steps I'm thinking about a little weathering on this build. What might work for an aircraft that's exposed to combat at low level and over the ocean? I'm going to try some color in the panel lines. This thing already has enough paint issues so nothing to lose.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on February 15, 2024, 09:38:00 PMSince I'm getting down to the final steps I'm thinking about a little weathering on this build. What might work for an aircraft that's exposed to combat at low level and over the ocean? I'm going to try some color in the panel lines. This thing already has enough paint issues so nothing to lose.
There'd be weathered paint from the floats slamming into water Ken..around the front of em ..maybe some blackening around the guns muzzle .
Wouldn't surprise me if there was like a water blasting affect on the tails from water being blasted thru the engines .
There would be the spray when this beast took off and landed 
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on February 17, 2024, 12:39:49 AM
Quote from: kerick on February 15, 2024, 09:38:00 PMSince I'm getting down to the final steps I'm thinking about a little weathering on this build. What might work for an aircraft that's exposed to combat at low level and over the ocean? I'm going to try some color in the panel lines. This thing already has enough paint issues so nothing to lose.
There'd be weathered paint from the floats slamming into water Ken..around the front of em ..maybe some blackening around the guns muzzle .
Wouldn't surprise me if there was like a water blasting affect on the tails from water being blasted thru the engines .

I had not thought about the floats getting banged up. There is always the possibility of hitting floating objects. Seaplanes always seem to look pretty clean so we'll see what happens.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on February 17, 2024, 08:26:26 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on February 17, 2024, 12:39:49 AM

I had not thought about the floats getting banged up. There is always the possibility of hitting floating objects. Seaplanes always seem to look pretty clean so we'll see what happens.
Well it don't need to be hammered mate..could be very lightly weathered..a well looked after and well presented aircraft that the crew chief is very proud of  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

I think seaplanes are fairly clean simply because they are hosed down to remove all the salt, debris and seaweed etc after most missions. Definitely cleaner than some tactical fighters based on muddy fields.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.