RF-23 Black Widow

Started by kerick, November 07, 2023, 02:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Another one that's been sitting around too long.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46230.0

Pic to follow.

Here's the pic, it was a little slow in the follow department but it got here.
Its been painted black since this pic was taken.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on November 07, 2023, 02:58:07 PMAnother one that's been sitting around too long.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46230.0

Pic to follow.

A prefect candidate for a 'Shelf Queen' GB.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

I have to figure out how to reinforce the landing gear to keep it off the shelf.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

DogfighterZen

Quote from: kerick on November 11, 2023, 06:47:53 PMI have to figure out how to reinforce the landing gear to keep it off the shelf.

Also had problems with the landing gear of my Black Widow, one of the main gears broke right where the wheel's axle connects to the gear strut. Had to use CA glue to bet it to hold the model up. They are a very good scale representation of the real things but they're too weak for the model's weight. It's one of those models that can't be moved or even touched too much.
I've read a few build reviews of the HobbyBoss 1/48 kit and it suffers from the same problem so i've recently ordered the SAC white metal landing gear set for that kit. Unfortunately, they don't do 1/72 sets for the Italeri/Revell/Tamiya  or even the Dragon/DML kits so if we mess up the gears, it's not easy to fix them.
I still have two of the Îtaleri molds and one of the Dragon molds and i have plans for a in flight display for one of them, which eliminates that problem right away. The others will be on their wheels so those will also be at risk whenever the shelves and models need to be cleaned up.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

I don't know how small these landing gear are but I'd it possible to drill thru the axle with a .5mm drill bit and use piano wire to reinforce it .
Piano wire is high tensile steel and even at .5 mm it's surprisingly strong .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I was thinking about either paper clip or sewing pin for wire. One end drilled into the gear leg and the other end into the wheel. A couple of mm would be exposed but barely noticeable.
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Looking forward to this one.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: kerick on November 12, 2023, 06:22:09 PMI was thinking about either paper clip or sewing pin for wire. One end drilled into the gear leg and the other end into the wheel. A couple of mm would be exposed but barely noticeable.

That seem like it could work, i'll be watching to learn something.  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Ken that's a good idea just check to see if it not be to big for the strut..a normal paper clip is on average  .8 mm thick .
But give it a blast mate..if ya don't try..ya don't know 😉 😄
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I'll probably use the sewing pin as it's thinner but strong.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

True it is Ken but sewing needles are also tapered and will not bend .
If you drill say a .3mm hole or .5mm it will either be to small at one point and to big at the other  :o

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw on November 17, 2023, 11:39:05 PMTrue it is Ken but sewing needles are also tapered and will not bend .
If you drill say a .3mm hole or .5mm it will either be to small at one point and to big at the other  :o

Not the sewing needle but the pins used to hold pieces together for sewing. They can be bent with pliers once or twice before breaking.
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Scrap the wheels and go ACLS.   :wacko: