Fiat G.91YP in the PoAF - "Big Butt Gina" - Finished PAG.8

Started by DogfighterZen, November 09, 2023, 05:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

That Norsk Gina is a beauty, Dizzy.  :thumbsup:
I'm not sure if i'll end up doing this but i do want to try different nose parts as this one also seemed a bit too long as is but the truth is that the part is only "patafixed" on to get an idea of what it could look like and has a 1 mm gap from the fuselage, which will obviously disappear if i go ahead with this idea.
It was also the first bit that i found when i opened the spare parts box, a Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 370 gallon drop tank.
I don't want to make it too long but i have to admit that i prefer a pointier and longer nose instead of a shorter and rounded shape and, it would make this one a bit different from yours. ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Terrific work on the cockpit and pilot  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2023, 03:00:01 AMTerrific work on the cockpit and pilot  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Chris!  :thumbsup:
It's not the best thing ever but there aren't any PE or resin sets available for this kit. Maybe for the Meng kits but those are the single engine variants so, not an exact match.
I didn't even bother looking for aftermarket for that kit yet so i'm not really aware of what's out there and to be totally honest, this model will never be in contention for prizes and with a closed canopy, not much will be seen anyway so, it's good enough as is. :mellow:

I'll be closing up the fuselage tonight but first i have to do some tests to figure out how many and where i'll be storing lead fishing weights to keep this Gina from sitting on her big butt... :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Some progress has been made and the fuselage is closed up...

I found the best thing for a weight for this kit, this way i don't have to force stuff into a small space and risk having problems getting the fuselage halves to fit properly. It's more than enough cause i tested it with all the gear "Patafixed" in place, and also, all the remaining bits that will go on aft of the CG and it worked perfectly. I didn't even bother weighing the screw cause it is more than enough but not too much. :mellow:
I used a circular section cut from the same Hasegawa F-16 drop tank to act as a base, making it easier to place the screw on the center of the fuselage and provide more area for the CA glue to create a strong bond cause i don't want that big screw coming loose.

Then i followed Dizzy's tip regarding the flaps... :thumbsup:

And then glued the wing halves together...

Already took care of some seams but still some left to do but the fuselage did take some convincing to glue totally aligned because the aft area of the right fuselage half was a bit warped out of shape but nothing too serious.
Still have to decide what to do with the nose... :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

More progress on this one, guys... :mellow:
So, one of my favorite tools came in handy for the second time in this build to drill the exhausts... I'd already used it to modify the cockpit tub.

Finished the interior with the file and then i used the tip of the blade of my modelling knife to scrape away the excess material around the top of the nozzles and reshape the curved top section of the part...

one done, one to go...

Finished thing...

Now, Gina's finally getting her big butt attached to her body... ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

The pilot/ cockoit look phenomenal ! I like the radar idea as well.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Thank you, gents!  :thumbsup:
The Gina now has her big butt... :wacko:

Gaps won't be difficult to eliminate, PPP is enough for the job. Also, i noticed that with the open exhausts, i'd have light shinning through small gaps around the cockpit's back wall and the fuselage so i'd need something to blank that off.
The area where the exhaust part attaches has half of a blanking plate on the bottom so i thought of just using a styrene strip to do it but then i thought it could get just a bit of detail so i dug up a pair of Hasegawa's F-16 wheels from the spares box to serve as afterburner flame holder rings. Seems like every spare part of these kits has some use in this build... :mellow:

Again, not perfect but better than nothing. Painted everything on the inside with some Tamiya X-10 Gun metal snd sealed it up without taking pics of the process and that was the best i could do after the fuselage/exhausts part was firmly glued in place...  :rolleyes:

Scotaidh

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 18, 2023, 10:47:22 AMThank you, gents!  :thumbsup:

Gaps won't be difficult to eliminate, PPP is enough for the job. Also, i noticed that with the open exhausts, i'd have light shinning through small gaps around the cockpit's back wall and the fuselage so i'd need something to blank that off.
The area where the exhaust part attaches has half of a blanking plate on the bottom so i thought of just using a styrene strip to do it but then i thought it could get just a bit of detail so i dug up a pair of Hasegawa's F-16 wheels from the spares box to serve as afterburner flame holder rings. Seems like every spare part of these kits has some use in this build... :mellow:

Again, not perfect but better than nothing. Painted everything on the inside with some Tamiya X-10 Gun metal snd sealed it up without taking pics of the process and that was the best i could do after the fuselage/exhausts part was firmly glued in place...  :rolleyes:

I generally use a bit of black foam from packing or a cushion or something.  If the foam I have isn't black, it's easily painted.  I like it for "light gaps" because it doesn't give the eye anything on which to focus,  :) 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Scotaidh on November 19, 2023, 07:46:06 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 18, 2023, 10:47:22 AMThank you, gents!  :thumbsup:

I generally use a bit of black foam from packing or a cushion or something.  If the foam I have isn't black, it's easily painted.  I like it for "light gaps" because it doesn't give the eye anything on which to focus,  :) 

If it works, it works  ;)

So I said I wanted a simple build, didn't i?
Well, that plan is definitely out the window as yesterday I decided there's too much sanding involved so I engraved all the panel lines and now I can do whatever I have to with less fear of losing details.
Most of the engraving was easy but I think i'll add a few more details than were originally present on the kit, maybe even some riveting where appropriate.
On my way to have an MRI done because of my shoulder.
I've been on sick leave because I hurt my shoulder at work but I'm hoping it won't be for much longer as I'm feeling better.

Dizzyfugu

I have used surplus wheels from an 1:100 VF-1 kit to fill the exhausts' interior. For a cursory glance it's more than enough, definitively better than the OOB "wall" or just empty holes.