Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan7

You cannot view this attachment.

"My grandad fought in WW1 and used to make Mosquito wings in WW2"

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Vulcan7

Wardukw

See that a problem with NZ..never saw them in Amy book shop here  :wacko:  :wacko:

As Ken said Leigh..Awesome 😀😀🤘🤘
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

See that a problem with NZ..never saw them in any book shop here  :wacko:  :wacko:

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Vulcan7

Quote from: Wardukw on January 02, 2024, 11:43:25 AMSee that a problem with NZ..never saw them in any book shop here  :wacko:  :wacko:

(sorry only just found this reply)
:cheers:  Thanks Phill, to be honest, iv'e only seen Space Picture Library on UK ebay, I think they are rare unlike Air Ace Picture Library & of course Commando Comics  ;D  :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Quote from: Vostoc7 on February 21, 2024, 07:55:04 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on January 02, 2024, 11:43:25 AMSee that a problem with NZ..never saw them in any book shop here  :wacko:  :wacko:

:cheers:  Thanks Phill, to be honest, iv'e only seen Space Picture Library on UK ebay, I think they are rare unlike Air Ace Picture Library & of course Commando Comics  ;D  :thumbsup:
Ohh Commando Comics ...mate I know I didn't read every one of those as a kid but I sure bloody tried 😅
Had a massive pile of those and to this day I have no idea where they went 😕
But like all things ..times change and then ya find motorbikes  :wacko:  :wacko:

Wardukw

Quote from: Vostoc7 on February 21, 2024, 07:55:04 AM

Ohh Commando Comics ...mate I know I didn't read every one of those as a kid but I sure bloody tried 😅
Had a massive pile of those and to this day I have no idea where they went 😕
But like all things ..times change and then ya find motorbikes  :wacko:  :wacko:

Old Wombat

I seem to remember Space Picture Library comics sitting next to the Commando & Air Picture Library (& I think there may have been a couple of other similar publications) slots in the newsagents when I was a youngster but they weren't the ones that interested me.

Mind you, I'm the one kid who didn't watch the Apollo 11 landing live. I watched the repeat that night, because, to not-quite-7-years-old me, being in space wasn't that big a deal, I had seen "2001: A Space Odyssey", what was all the fuss about landing on the Moon ... again? :unsure: Plus, I was already reading Science Fiction novels & had a better than average understanding (for a 7 year old) of the science of space flight. Besides, I had more important things to do, like play with my Matchbox cars in a nearby vacant paddock.

To say my father was furious would be an understatement. He had expected to need to force me to watch the repeat that evening but watching TV was an evening thing (not daytime thing) & I quite happily watched it.

It was while watching the landing, listening to the exchanges between the astronauts & mission control, & the commentary that it occurred to me that this was actually the first time men had landed on the Moon & was, in fact, a Big Deal.

Taught me two things;
1. Sometimes things are not as I perceive them, &
2. Some film-makers were really good at making things look "right"!
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Vulcan7

Great anecdote, I just about remember watching the Moon landing on our B/W set ..... seems weird how they are talking about going back there?

& 2001: A Space Odyssey is a classic  :thumbsup:

I wish Airfix would re-issue the Orion

PR19_Kit

Didn't another firm do an Orion too? Maybe Aurora/Lindberg?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Fairly sure Stargazer did one in resin some years ago.

Yep! 1/144th scale;

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wiporion.html
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Vulcan7

:cheers:

found these on UK ebay, but need to save up or sell some of the stash to buy anything  :o  ;D

You cannot view this attachment.. 1/144. £45

You cannot view this attachment.. 1/350  £29

You cannot view this attachment.. 1/72  £170  :o

Rick Lowe

There was a thread on Hyperscale a good few years ago on tweaking the Airfix model. (yikes, 2009... must get moving on mine, some decade...)
The bits that I remember are running a strip of plastic along the top of the window recess to make them smaller, and filling inside and grinding down the hump over the rear engines, so it's not as swollen.
(there are more, but I don't remember them all).

And he then drew the panel lines in pencil; multiple sessions, with a clear coat in between... more work there than I want to contemplate, but it looked impressive.

Here's a link to an old discussion, and he's posted a few shots of it:

https://www.hobbytalk.com/threads/clipper-time.320527/?nested_view=1&sortby=oldest

Kit, you're right - Aurora did one in 1968.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=All&q=orion+clipper

Edit:
I've just read through the BritModeller thread on the (then) new Moebius model, and wow! - there isn't a lot of leeway for differing opinions; if you prefer the Airfix kit for whatever reason, or dare to disagree with the person who started the thread, look out!
I am really glad I gave that site the heave-ho a few years back; it's *much* more welcoming and inclusive here!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 23, 2024, 04:24:10 AMKit, you're right - Aurora did one in 1968.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=All&q=orion+clipper

I was pretty sure it that, I built one as a 'window model' for my mate Derek's shop back then.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit