Mirage IV

Started by Leading Observer, November 10, 2023, 11:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 24, 2023, 02:31:06 PM
Quote from: kerick on November 24, 2023, 11:19:44 AMThe B-1 sort of looks Su-17 ish too. The swing pivots point is quite away out from the fuselage.

All the swing wingers that actually work reasonably well seem to have their pivots some distance away from the fuselage as such, F-111, B-1, Su-23 etc etc. The one with internal pivots didn't seem to make it past the prototype stage, even if they looked sleeker, like various Mirage VG projects.

There must be some aerodynamic or stuctural reason for it I'm  sure, but I've no idea what it might be.

Maybe getting the pivot assembly outside the regular fuselage is easier to engineer and manufacture. Smaller swing wing is easier to manufacture and lighter. I'm sure there is aerodynamic reasons too.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Having the wings' swing mechanisms further out means the fuselage can be kept smaller or packed with more useful stuff, like bigger engines, fuel, avionics, etc., or weapons.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Leading Observer

Finally getting some progress with the Mirage IV :thumbsup:  Doing it in the 40 Squadron markings from the Xtradecal TSR2 set, so Grey/Green uppers and white undersides. Decals are being applied. The set includes a pair of Squadron Badges, but I can't see from the decal set instructions where they are meant to go on the TSR2 :banghead:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Gondor

Quote from: Leading Observer on August 23, 2024, 06:28:17 AMFinally getting some progress with the Mirage IV :thumbsup:  Doing it in the 40 Squadron markings from the Xtradecal TSR2 set, so Grey/Green uppers and white undersides. Decals are being applied. The set includes a pair of Squadron Badges, but I can't see from the decal set instructions where they are meant to go on the TSR2 :banghead:

The answer to that is...........

wherever you want to put them
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Isn't that the one that goes on top of the blue/yellow checkers on the fin?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2024, 06:55:58 AMIsn't that the one that goes on top of the blue/yellow checkers on the fin?

Kit - The Blue Yellow checkered decal already has the white circle with the broom incorporated into it. The ones I also have are 2 small Squadron badges with the Red and Gold Crown at the top and motto at the base. I am tempted to put them on the side of the intakes

LO

Gondor

Quote from: Leading Observer on August 23, 2024, 07:02:11 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 23, 2024, 06:55:58 AMIsn't that the one that goes on top of the blue/yellow checkers on the fin?

Kit - The Blue Yellow checkered decal already has the white circle with the broom incorporated into it. The ones I also have are 2 small Squadron badges with the Red and Gold Crown at the top and motto at the base. I am tempted to put them on the side of the intakes

That would be a quite sensible place to put them

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

Yeah, makes sense to me.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

BAC/Dassault Mirage IVB – RAF Eagle GR.1
With the cancellation of the TSR.2 in 1965, the RAF were left without their desired replacement for the Canberra and sought an alternative. The options were the Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2 [being pushed as an option by Lord Mountbatten], the American General Dynamics F-111 and a joint proposal by Dassault and the British Aircraft Corporation for a version of the Mirage IV powered by either Rolls-Royce Avon engines [as had been proposed by the French to the Royal Australian Air Force] or by the Rolls-Royce Spey, which would make use of the avionics suite developed by BAC for the TSR.2 The cost of the Mirage was going to be less than that of the F-111K, and having cancelled the TSR.2 programme due to cost, the British Government could not be seen to spend their limited funds on the F-111K [although that was seen as the better aircraft in some circles] went with the cheapest option that the RAF would accept, and selected the Dassault/BAC proposal. This also satisfied the growing Francophile element in the British Government, who were increasingly in favour of joining the EEC and believed that another joint project with the French would help smooth De Gaulles antipathy to their application.
However it soon became apparent that developing the Avon or Spey powered variant was going to take some longer than expected, and the RAF needed the new aircraft sooner rather than later, and Dassault/BAC offered an interim solution. The RAF could have a version of the existing Mirage IVA, which would retain its existing French airframe and engines but be equipped with the British avionics package. The aircraft would be produced on the existing production line in France and then flown to the UK for installation of the avionics. This proposal, backed by the RAF, was accepted, and the initial batch of RAF Mirage IV's began to enter service in early 1968, as the Eagle GR.1.
The RAF Eagle GR.1 pictured is from 40 Squadron based at RAF Coningsby in 1968 and is armed with one  Red Beard Nuclear weapon on the faired in belly recess, and two Purple Haze Long Range Radar Suppression Missiles.
The Purple Haze missile[called Telegraph Poles by the RAF crews] was developed to punch a hole through Soviet Radar with a combination of Chaff. Flares and emissions designed to overwhelm the enemy Radar systems by [hopefully] creating too many returns for the Radar, Anti-aircraft Missiles or Interceptors to easily identify the Bombers.

LO

Gondor

Nice  :thumbsup:

I like the "Telegraph Poles" which I assume are rescaled AIM-120's

Gondor

Leading Observer

Quote from: Gondor on September 14, 2024, 07:08:04 AMNice  :thumbsup:

I like the "Telegraph Poles" which I assume are rescaled AIM-120's

Gondor
:thumbsup:
LO

PR19_Kit

I  DO like that,   a  LOT!  :thumbsup:

Can't really go wrong with a Mirage IV and a Whiffed one is darn nigh perfect!

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Yup, that one's nice! :thumbsup:

Now, where's Anglo-engined the GR.2? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Mirage IV ...always a cool bird and this is too 👌 😎
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

comrade harps

There is a noble elegance to the Mirage IV and you have honoured it well.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.