Modernized F-9E Panther Light Attack Jet

Started by Spino, November 11, 2023, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spino

So I recently got to looking at the F9F Panther and it got me wondering if an upgraded version might still be relevant today as a cheap, subsonic light attack aircraft and advanced jet trainer.  Since I'm on a very tight budget after my last model purchase (the F-15X that I'm still chipping away at), I'll be 3D-printing this one and scratch-building anything else I need (or sourcing it from the spare parts bin!).  This is what I hope to have it look like in the end:

kerick

There is the Skyfox treatment!

Not sure what kind of new engine you could fit in the fuselage. Something much more fuel efficient by far.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Spino

Well all the major parts except the wingtip tanks have been printed, here's what she looks like:

The engine nozzle is too small to fit something like an F100, but it might be possible to cram an F404 or F414 in there.  The only potential issue is length, it's definitely too short for a J79 but I believe the 404 isn't as long.
And yes I'm going to cut out the canopy area and build a real cockpit for it.

Captain Canada

That's a neat idea. Parts are looking good !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

frank2056

This is coming along! What scale is it? What are you printing it in?

Are you going to vacuform the canopy? You could also try to print the clear canopy in PVB filament, which can be made crystal clear (almost no visible print lines) by smoothing with Isopropyl alcohol.

kerick

Quote from: Spino on November 14, 2023, 07:37:21 AMWell all the major parts except the wingtip tanks have been printed, here's what she looks like:

The engine nozzle is too small to fit something like an F100, but it might be possible to cram an F404 or F414 in there.  The only potential issue is length, it's definitely too short for a J79 but I believe the 404 isn't as long.
And yes I'm going to cut out the canopy area and build a real cockpit for it.

For this type of conversion you probably won't use an afterburner so the engine will be shorter. Kind of like the F404 Singapore put in their Skyhawks. Plus there are commercial airliner type engines out there too that could work.
Have you considered anything like a SNIPER pod?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Spino

Quote from: frank2056 on November 14, 2023, 07:51:54 AMThis is coming along! What scale is it? What are you printing it in?

Are you going to vacuform the canopy? You could also try to print the clear canopy in PVB filament, which can be made crystal clear (almost no visible print lines) by smoothing with Isopropyl alcohol.

I haven't decided how exactly to handle the canopy just yet.  I could look into getting some PVB filament though, that's an idea I haven't considered yet.  Scale is 1:48, same as all my other models.

Spino

Quote from: kerick on November 14, 2023, 08:44:58 AMFor this type of conversion you probably won't use an afterburner so the engine will be shorter. Kind of like the F404 Singapore put in their Skyhawks. Plus there are commercial airliner type engines out there too that could work.
Have you considered anything like a SNIPER pod?

I have considered targeting pods, though I'm a little short on AAQ-33s.  I might have one around here somewhere, otherwise it'll have to be either a LANTIRN or Litening, I have a surplus of those.  Definitely going to be throwing in some LGRs though, I have spare pods left over from the Sea Harrier II build so that'll be easy.

Spino

The J48 engine that the F9F-5 had delivered about 6,250lbf max thrust, vs 11,000lbf for a dry F404 and 13,000lbf for a dry F414.  One of those two for sure!

I accidentally scaled the tip tanks to 1:32 instead of 1:48, but one of them layer-shifted badly so I'll just re-print them at the correct scale.

kerick

The increase in range from the reduced fuel consumption would be remarkable. Plus the F404 is so much lighter the performance should jump up considerably. A very interesting idea.
Tophe the Wise

Spino

Now I just need to find and print a 404/414 nozzle  ;D

Edit: Looks like I found the nozzle file I'm looking for.  Now to scale it correctly and print it once my fuel tanks finish!

Dizzyfugu

As a aside note, Singapore updated their Skyhawks from Wright J65-W-20s with non-afterburning F404s, creating the A-4SU that served until 2005 (and as advanced trainerrs in France even until 2013)

Spino

I wonder if those things could supercruise, A-4s are delta wing jets.  With enough thrust, maybe...

sandiego89

Quote from: Spino on November 17, 2023, 06:35:57 AMI wonder if those things could supercruise, A-4s are delta wing jets.  With enough thrust, maybe...

The A-4 wing is pretty thick, wheel fairings and other parts rather draggy and the inlets are not designed for supersonic flow, I'd say no, or not easily without major re-work   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Any progress on this one lately? It was looking good.
Tophe the Wise