Modernized F-9E Panther Light Attack Jet

Started by Spino, November 11, 2023, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Another thing I've had good luck with is UV curing resin. If you can make the opposite mold from the carved wood one you could fill that with the UV resin and take it out in the sun for a minute to cure. The mold would have to be really well polished as the UV resin picks up every nick and scratch. One thing I have noticed with it is that the summer sun cures it super fast and in the winter hardly any at all. The UV lights and flashlights are iffy. It has to be the right frequency range and intensity.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Rick Lowe

IIRC, using the male/female mould was so you got the exact shape you wanted, rather than the 'drape and pull down' method having the part flare out more than desired at the bottom.

Spino

Maybe soon I'll have time to carve a canopy mold for this thing.  I know better than to print one, the layer grooves could screw it up...

kerick

Or steal one. Would a Cougar canopy fit? Maybe someone here has a spare one of either type.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Spino

I've had bad luck with canopies basically ever since an F-15E model I was building OOB as a kid got messed up when the canopy fell into a small puddle of glue and got badly crazed...

A 1:48 Cougar canopy might work, though I'm not completely sure it would be high enough.  I may end up breaking down and getting some spare canopies for these little projects though.

The Rat

Quote from: Spino on March 10, 2024, 05:14:46 AMI've had bad luck with canopies basically ever since an F-15E model I was building OOB as a kid got messed up when the canopy fell into a small puddle of glue and got badly crazed...

A 1:48 Cougar canopy might work, though I'm not completely sure it would be high enough.  I may end up breaking down and getting some spare canopies for these little projects though.

Since canopies are the bugbear of many modelers, even experienced ones, 'twould be nice if companies started including two in each kit. The extra cost would be miniscule, inconsequential, a mere pittance, and might actually be a selling point. I believe some short-run companies do this with vac-formed ones.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

sandiego89

Quote from: The Rat on March 10, 2024, 11:05:51 AMtwould be nice if companies started including two in each kit. The extra cost would be miniscule, inconsequential, a mere pittance, and might actually be a selling point. I believe some short-run companies do this with vac-formed ones.

I fully concur with my esteemed colleague from Canada!  The crunch I heard upon stepping on the canopy of an almost complete B-58 still gives me shivers....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Spino

Oof, that's terrible.  I agree too, extra canopies would certainly be welcome on two accounts.  One, if something should happen to one of them, you have a spare.  Two, if they both survive, you have a spare that you can use later on some what-if project!

Spino

I ordered a set of canopies that should show up next week.  Meantime I'm debating about whether I want to repaint this thing, the Tamiya "grey" spray can that I used on it looks a bit tan-ish to me, not ideal for a naval jet.  I'll have to carefully remove all the weapons though if I do that, so I may not bother.

The Rat

Quote from: Spino on March 12, 2024, 06:38:25 AMI ordered a set of canopies that should show up next week.  Meantime I'm debating about whether I want to repaint this thing, the Tamiya "grey" spray can that I used on it looks a bit tan-ish to me, not ideal for a naval jet.  I'll have to carefully remove all the weapons though if I do that, so I may not bother.

The normal pack of lies back story should be able to take care of such things.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Spino

Good point, could be a test paint scheme of some kind.  Or I may just add some splotches of flat olive on top, turn it into a desert camo jet...

silverwindblade

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 10, 2024, 02:06:30 PMI fully concur with my esteemed colleague from Canada!  The crunch I heard upon stepping on the canopy of an almost complete B-58 still gives me shivers....

One of my first models built ended up the same. I rolled my desk chair back to look for the canopy I'd dropped for a 1/48th F-4...
...found it by the CRUNCH it made as my chair rolled over it...
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Spino

Well, none of these vacform canopies help me at all, figures I'd get a set with no actual bubble canopies in it.  Got a Hornet and a Tomcat canopy, both earmarked for future projects, and the rest are F-4, A-4, F-8, and T-28.  Will have to shape my own I guess...

chrisonord

Quote from: Spino on March 20, 2024, 08:01:19 PMWell, none of these vacform canopies help me at all, figures I'd get a set with no actual bubble canopies in it.  Got a Hornet and a Tomcat canopy, both earmarked for future projects, and the rest are F-4, A-4, F-8, and T-28.  Will have to shape my own I guess...
Is the F-8 canopy Vacform, if so, who isnit made by please.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Spino

Quote from: chrisonord on March 21, 2024, 08:45:21 AM
Quote from: Spino on March 20, 2024, 08:01:19 PMWell, none of these vacform canopies help me at all, figures I'd get a set with no actual bubble canopies in it.  Got a Hornet and a Tomcat canopy, both earmarked for future projects, and the rest are F-4, A-4, F-8, and T-28.  Will have to shape my own I guess...
Is the F-8 canopy Vacform, if so, who isnit made by please.

It is vacform, 1:48 scale.  Made by Falcon Industries, I got the set here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YRXV7LK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details