Lidl side cutters

Started by chrisonord, November 12, 2023, 05:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Just found these in Lidl, £3.99. Took them out of the packet to check the alignnent and blade quality, and seem pretty good for the price.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kerick

It looks similar to what I use. It works fine for cutting plastic.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Ask Nick about the ones he got at Telford  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Igmar, a Ukrainian modeler, posted a great video on sharpening the edges of cheap cutters:

I tried this technique on some old Xuron side cutters and it greatly improved the cuts they make. Nowhere near as good as my Tamiya side cutters, but good enough to make sharp cuts on sprues. I can reserve the Tamiya for more delicate work.

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2023, 06:15:32 AMAsk Nick about the ones he got at Telford  :angel:

Did you get your commission in the end?  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on November 17, 2023, 04:21:12 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2023, 06:15:32 AMAsk Nick about the ones he got at Telford  :angel:

Did you get your commission in the end?  ;)

How else do you think I afforded that Eduard Overtrees box ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

I got given a pair of flush cut nippers from a mate of mine to try out..he sells this line of tools and wanted another modellers opinion on them.
Their Dspiae ST-A 3.0 ultra thin single blade nippers.
Even comes with a real leather pouch to protect the tips 😆
I've used em and they are super sharp with very fine tips..handles are bigger than Tamiyas which fir some of us makes life a little easier.
These cutters even come in a wooden box..yep real plywood so then you also end up with a very handy box for sorting bits in  :thumbsup: .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Nick

Quote from: Wardukw on November 17, 2023, 10:10:34 AMI got given a pair of flush cut nippers from a mate of mine to try out..he sells this line of tools and wanted another modellers opinion on them.
I've used em and they are super sharp with very fine tips..handles are bigger than Tamiyas which fir some of us makes life a little easier.
These cutters even come in a wooden box..yep real plywood so then you also end up with a very handy box for sorting bits in  :thumbsup: .

I was shown those at Telford last weekend and they are amazing. I got something very similar - Godhand SPN-120.
These also come with a leather pouch.

Chris wanted commission because he showed me where their stand was   ;D  :rolleyes:

Wardukw

Quote from: Nick on November 17, 2023, 02:06:25 PM
Quote from: Wardukw on November 17, 2023, 10:10:34 AMI got given a pair of flush cut nippers from a mate of mine to try out..he sells this line of tools and wanted another modellers opinion on them.

I was shown those at Telford last weekend and they are amazing. I got something very similar - Godhand SPN-120.
These also come with a leather pouch.

Chris wanted commission because he showed me where their stand was   ;D  :rolleyes:
Hahaha 😀...Nice one Chris 👍 😆

Nick I'm glad ya got some great nippers mate..don't know how long I've had to work with crap nippers..now ive got Tamiyas best cutters and these ones too  :thumbsup:
Thanks to my mate Perrin for these and quite alot of other stuff too 👍 😉
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

The quality of the tool steel used on some of these top of the range nippers is about as good as you can get whence the price ( Rummages in brain for memories of conversations with tool steel makers  :rolleyes: ) and knowing the processes involved in getting there that price is justifiable.  The steel used in the Lidl ones is almost certainly bulk standard commercial grade steels, might be engineering steel overruns and again whence the price.  Classic case of you pays your money and makes your choice.

If looked after then the expensive ones should last forever, the key however is looking after them. The cheap ones you can use and discard, almost. To be honest I can't justify the cost of  the really good ones nowadays given my hand/eyesight issues. Just wish I could  :-\

Right, long retired working memories over, they'll be packed away again until I once again feel the need to become "the old bore in the corner"  ;)

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2023, 06:38:10 AMRight, long retired working memories over, they'll be packed away again until I once again feel the need to become "the old bore in the corner"  ;)

Sometimes being "the old bore in the corner" can be really interesting to others. I for one love to absorb new information from outwith my sphere of knowledge as in doing so it may provide to be useful at some point.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on November 18, 2023, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2023, 06:38:10 AMRight, long retired working memories over, they'll be packed away again until I once again feel the need to become "the old bore in the corner"  ;)

Sometimes being "the old bore in the corner" can be really interesting to others. I for one love to absorb new information from outwith my sphere of knowledge as in doing so it may provide to be useful at some point.

Gondor

I spent most of my 40 working years listening to others when I was in their working environments, which is why, without boasting, I was good at my job, which at the end of the day was to help them  :thumbsup: 

Wardukw

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 19, 2023, 05:19:29 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 18, 2023, 01:04:10 PM

Gondor

I spent most of my 40 working years listening to others when I was in their working environments, which is why, without boasting, I was good at my job, which at the end of the day was to help them  :thumbsup: 
I did come across this saying somewhere..ppl who listen learn more than those who do all of the talking.

Beermonster58

To go with the kit side cutters, Lidl now have a selection of Airfix Starter sets on special offer at £6.99 each. Don't get too excited though as I think it's the same selection as last year
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

chrisonord

Quote from: Beermonster58 on November 30, 2023, 01:06:36 AMTo go with the kit side cutters, Lidl now have a selection of Airfix Starter sets on special offer at £6.99 each. Don't get too excited though as I think it's the same selection as last year
I saw those today whilst shopping, gave them a quick glance and muttered "bugger....." under my breath with the same dissapointment as the last few times they had them in. :-\
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!