More Operation Saladin armour

Started by chrisonord, November 17, 2023, 03:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Yet more modern , for the 1970's armour sent to the Uranium mines to defend against the communist backed insurgents. The mine companies, and indeed some in the M.O.D  thought sending cheiftans to Africa was a bit overkill, but their was method in their madness, as a future skirmish with T-54's and T-55's soon proved their viability.
The kit is the Takom 1/72nd scale Cheiftan MK.5, awkward and and too many fiddly bits and PE for my dodgy fingers to cope with, hence a few badly fitted bits, broken bits, and a part that wasn't there in the first place. I don't think I will bother getting any more Takom tracked armour, as I struggle to do it justice.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

It's a beautiful looking little kit, though. :thumbsup:

Your problem may come down to what else is available, Takom produce a really good range of 1/72 armour. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Jakko

At first, I thought those photos were of them in a diorama of the uranium mining area ;)
... I know all this and more ...

chrisonord

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 18, 2023, 12:43:07 AMIt's a beautiful looking little kit, though. :thumbsup:

Your problem may come down to what else is available, Takom produce a really good range of 1/72 armour. :unsure:
I have a twin set of Russian tractor units in the stash too, I can't remember what they look like inside the box, hooefully they will be easier to build , he says.

zenrat

:thumbsup:

I've not built 1/72 Takom armour.  But if the parts breakdown is anything like their 1/35 they will be insane.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on November 18, 2023, 03:15:55 AM:thumbsup:

I've not built 1/72 Takom armour.  But if the parts breakdown is anything like their 1/35 they will be insane.

they have plenty of parts, but nothing in comparrison to Vespid, seriously parts overload on their Centurions.

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on November 17, 2023, 03:27:16 PMThe kit is the Takom 1/72nd scale Cheiftan MK.5, awkward and and too many fiddly bits and PE for my dodgy fingers to cope with, hence a few badly fitted bits, broken bits, and a part that wasn't there in the first place. I don't think I will bother getting any more Takom tracked armour, as I struggle to do it justice.

IBG are similar. Some of their kits have loads of small parts and tiny etch whilst others, the Crusader variants for example, are quite simple with one piece running gear.  :unsure:  Shame because they do some really nice WWII era stuff.  "First to the Fight" do a nice range of early WWII armour and artillery but I've no experience of those so can't comment.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2023, 07:01:53 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 17, 2023, 03:27:16 PMThe kit is the Takom 1/72nd scale Cheiftan MK.5, awkward and and too many fiddly bits and PE for my dodgy fingers to cope with, hence a few badly fitted bits, broken bits, and a part that wasn't there in the first place. I don't think I will bother getting any more Takom tracked armour, as I struggle to do it justice.

IBG are similar. Some of their kits have loads of small parts and tiny etch whilst others, the Crusader variants for example, are quite simple with one piece running gear.  :unsure:  Shame because they do some really nice WWII era stuff.  "First to the Fight" do a nice range of early WWII armour and artillery but I've no experience of those so can't comment.
I will know to avoid their stuff then Chris. Thanks for the heads up.

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on November 18, 2023, 08:12:10 AMI will know to avoid their stuff then Chris. Thanks for the heads up.

Ask Nick about their Scammell. It's a beautiful kit and he's done a great job with it, but the size of some of the parts  :o  and you don't even see a lot of them unless you pick it up.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2023, 08:22:32 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on November 18, 2023, 08:12:10 AMI will know to avoid their stuff then Chris. Thanks for the heads up.

Ask Nick about their Scammell. It's a beautiful kit and he's done a great job with it, but the size of some of the parts  :o  and you don't even see a lot of them unless you pick it up.

chrisonord

Quote from: chrisonord on November 18, 2023, 09:11:16 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2023, 08:22:32 AM

the vespid  centurions are like that. Alot of detailed small pieces go into it only to be covered up with something else, also too many parts to make something that ends up falling off and going missing. :banghead:

chrisonord

Just put the second colour on the Chieftan, went silly with the green, but it will do, I can always overlap the earth when that goes on.

NARSES2

Looks good. Just say that the guys with the spray guns were using different pages from the official Chieftain Colouring Book  ;D

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 21, 2023, 06:24:45 AMLooks good. Just say that the guys with the spray guns were using different pages from the official Chieftain Colouring Book  ;D
;D  ;D  ;D

Wardukw

That's looking great Chris 👍 👌
Lovely work on this little beasty 😄
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .