1/35 MikroMir Ukrainian sea drone

Started by frank2056, November 25, 2023, 07:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

This is the Ukraine's Maritime Drone (USV) by MikroMir in 1/35

There are few parts in this short run kit and the fit is OK -- about typical for MikroMir. There are some variations between the drone types used by Ukraine and MikroMir seems to have picked this one:

The kit instructions show the support frame for the two cameras (small one at the bow and a larger one amidships) but the parts are not on the PE sheet or the sprues. It's not a big deal, but I'll leave them off until the end.
The hull is made up of a top, bottom, rear bulkhead and the two sides of the hull, which have a mediocre fit. The two fuses at the nose are complete, so you either have to cut one off and deal with any gap, or cut both in half. I went with the former and squeezed the bow until plastic oozed out and made the fuses roughly circular.

Before PE:

I was concerned with gaps or misalignment between the upper hull and the hull sides, so I sprayed the edges with black paint and fixed any issues. This is with the PE wave breaks (?) on:

The rear bulkhead has holes for the actuators but the parts don't have matching pins - just tabs - on both ends, so I carved a channel for the upper connections:

There are a couple of very small PE handles left to attach, but I'll wait until I'm ready for painting. They're probably going to get knocked off, anyway.

NARSES2

Interesting subject and nice work on the kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

This was a pretty simple build; I'm calling it finished, except for fixing a silvering decal. The only wiffs are the decals, although some drone pictures show hand written numbers on the sides.

Hard to tell, but there are two tiny metal loops near the edges. Amazingly, they didn't fall off:

Side view. The two fuses on the nose are in steel and a grimy gray (which seems to match the color of my patio deck), The base is a generic PE base for a submarine. The number is the year and month I finished the model:

Unfortunately, one of the decals silvered. I'll deal with that tomorrow. The steel access plates add some color.  The Starlink antenna is in a slightly lighter gray.

The decal in the middle says "Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй", which is a famous Ukrainian phrase (in Russian) .  "Иди на хуй, Элмо" on the Starlink Antenna... well, use Google translate if curious. Also has some historical reasoning behind it.

Overall a fun little build, despite the PE and the fact that it's a short run kit.

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

That's come out well and looks quite sinister  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

Thanks,, guys! The best part is that for a MikroMir kit, it did have any major fit or construction issues and the PE went in place without much fuss. The wave breaks have little notches for the PE supports that fit well and give the structures some strength. The rectangular bracket for the central camera/sensor wasn't included in the PE set or the kit (but was shown on the instructions) but I used a PE sling from a Trumpeter 1/35 weapons set to craft it. They're made of very thin, easy to mold brass.

kerick

I wonder how they use them. Do they quietly sneak out to find their target them make a fast run in at the last minute or go tearing out straight to the target? Like PT boats they probably want to keep the wake down up to the last minute.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

frank2056

I think it depends on the mission. They may just motor out to the areas being patrolled by Russian ships (pretty easy to find out when they leave port or where they're headed) then make a fast run at the ship. The Russian Navy isn't particularly good - even worse than their army - so the drones have a good chance of making a hit.

Pretty amazing that a country without major warships has managed to make the Russian Navy all but abandon the Black Sea - at least vast areas near Ukraine.

frank2056

I got rid of the silvering by using a decal setting solution and gently prodding the decal. Here's the drone with two guys for scale:

The setting solution wasn't completely dry when I took these pictures, but i wanted to get the last bit of sunlight for the day. The clear film eventually vanished:

NARSES2

That's wonderful. The figure scratching his head just sets the whole scene  :bow:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 29, 2023, 12:07:55 AMThat's wonderful. The figure scratching his head just sets the whole scene  :bow:

He's thinking 'Which hi tech cruiser shall we sink today?'  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 29, 2023, 12:31:52 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 29, 2023, 12:07:55 AMThat's wonderful. The figure scratching his head just sets the whole scene  :bow:

He's thinking 'Which hi tech cruiser shall we sink today?'  ;D

Possibly. I had slightly different thoughts  :angel:

kerick

These things are such a neat combo of old and new tech. I bet China is confiscating every jet ski in its harbors and either build their own or selling them to Iran.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise