Airfix Hurricane Mk.I fabric wing

Started by Freightdog862, November 26, 2023, 03:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

Good morning,

This seems a perfect reason to bring back this old build, originally started in the Mike McEvoy Tribute Build Thread, which to my regret I never finished. The project did get quite a bit further than the thread, almost to the painting stage, with a couple of joints left to fill.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=50071.0

Hopefully I can finish this one before the deadline. How it will be finished, I've not yet sure.

Thanks,
Colin     

NARSES2

Looking forward to this one Colin  :thumbsup:

Don't forget to post a picture of her "as she is now"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

This has me interested 🙂
I've got 2 Hurricanes ..a MK1 and MK2 ..still no bloody ideas what to do with em  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Rick Lowe

Mk.1 as AVG? 

Find/make a Catapult and make a CAM Ship-based one? (still on my ever-so-long 'To Do' list)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Freightdog862

Here is a picture of where she is now, after a quick dust off and taping the prop on. Essentially almost ready to paint, just need to finish tidying up the tail plane joints, add the landing lights and fit the radiator and oil cooler. I'm not 100% sure which scheme I'm going to use. I had planned to finish as a Egypt based aircraft in silver dope, but I've jut stumbled on some pictures of a real world SAAF Mk.I with a tropical filter at Mombasa in 1941, the only fabric winged Hurricane I've seen fitted with one.

Although the SAAF option isn't a whif, it was originally part of the Mike McEvoy Tribute Build which didn't have any rules as such. I will give it some thought whilst I tidy up the seam lines. The whif option will be more forgiving as it will be the first model I've painted in over a decade. 

Thanks,
Colin

NARSES2

Coming along nicely Colin, it's a nice kit.

SAAF in East Africa circa 1940/41 is an absolute treasure trove for aircraft you thought had left service years before and some interesting schemes.  Plus of course those slightly different roundels and fin flashes  ;)

Freightdog862

Incredibly slow progress, but progress none the less. Two coats of Azure blue underneath, definitely picked the wrong day to be painting in the shed.   

Not sure if this will ever be finished, or possibly become a paint mule. First time I've used Vallejo Model Color, goes on nicely with a brush in thin coats, at least one more needed. I think I will wait till it cools down a bit. 

Colin