Corsair GR.1

Started by kitbasher, November 29, 2023, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on December 03, 2023, 01:45:22 AMI always thought it was Short Little Ugly "Fellow"?

This is the way. At least officially.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on December 03, 2023, 01:45:22 AMI always thought it was Short Little Ugly "Fellow"?

I've seen that version, too, with the final word transposed with the one I inferred. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I was being polite and not saying fuck3r...   :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

And I thought there were two Fs, the second one standng for 'Fat'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Same sort of thing for the B-52 ...called it BUFF ..Big Ugly Fat ..guess what the F means  ;D
And yep in polite publications it was typed Fellow too.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

In my experience it was always SLUF among the troops.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

B52's not that fat though.  Not compared to a C130 for example.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

Quote from: zenrat on December 04, 2023, 02:25:32 AMB52's not that fat though.  Not compared to a C130 for example.
That's true but that's what they nick named it ...here's a few more for ya ..
C-5 Galaxy – Aluminum Overcast, Cumulus Aluminus, Big Mac, Fat Albert, FRED (Foolishly Ridiculous Economic Disaster), Linda Lovelace, Queer (every time it kneels, it blows something

Lockheed C-130 Hercules – Bleed-Air Blimp

Martin B-26 Marauder – Widowmaker, Baltimore Wh**e (small wings = "No visible means of support")
C-47 Skytrain – Gooney bird

PT-22 Recruit – Maytag Messerschmitt

Seems our American mates love nick names ..there's even WW1 names 😆
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

The C-5 names cracked me up!!

Fat Albert was also the C-130 that hauled all the stuff around for the Blue Angels.

C-119, Flying Boxcar, because it could haul a railcar volume of cargo.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on December 04, 2023, 07:31:33 PMThe C-5 names cracked me up!!

Fat Albert was also the C-130 that hauled all the stuff around for the Blue Angels.

C-119, Flying Boxcar, because it could haul a railcar volume of cargo.
Imaginative bunch us military types huh  ;D  ;D
I did a quick search and Ken mate it wasn't hard to find nick names that's for sure 😉

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 03, 2023, 04:27:41 AMAnd I thought there were two Fs, the second one standng for 'Fat'.

Same here... but they didn't use it on the second edition of the "Great planes" doc series with Ex-F-22 pilot Paul "Max" Moga. Related clip is here at 8m37s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHoggHX4LLU

BTW, on the original version of the doc, the narrator mentions the nickname, explains the SLU but doesn't mention a single F... Guess it was too much for the 1980s... :unsure:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kerick

F for "fellows"!
Yeah, that's it!

IIRC the M113 was the meatbox. Reference to how it didn't protect the occupants very well in case of a mine.
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on December 06, 2023, 03:17:35 PMF for "fellows"!
Yeah, that's it!

IIRC the M113 was the meatbox. Reference to how it didn't protect the occupants very well in case of a mine.

Or an RPG, or a heavy calibre machine-gun (DShK 12.7mm, KPV 14.5mm)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 07, 2023, 05:30:07 AM
Quote from: kerick on December 06, 2023, 03:17:35 PMF for "fellows"!
Yeah, that's it!

Or an RPG, or a heavy calibre machine-gun (DShK 12.7mm, KPV 14.5mm)
I fecking hate the 113..it's cramped..nosey and has a bouncy rough ride .
You take 6 fully loaded big blokes and your stuck inside that thing for an hour and trust me you really want out of that thing ...trust me on that.

As for protection in Vietnam crews would cover the floors with sand bags and ammo cans full or sand and they would still ride on top of it.
I've seen where drivers have extended their controls so they can drive while sitting on the roof  :o
Russian 7.62x54R API has also been known the penetrate the sides of the 113 ...it's made of aluminum after all .
Something even more scary ive seen some nasty looking holes in these things from standard 7.62 and steel core 5.56mm rds .
Funnily they can be great fun to go a wee bit nuts in ..always better being the driver than a passenger  ;D  ;D
Again..trust me how I know  :wacko:  :wacko:

kerick

M113 was always just a battle taxi. Expecting more from it was a mistake everyone made.
Tophe the Wise